most unluckiest driver... mark webber

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
modbaraban

Ciro Pabón wrote:Now, the last one, I swear... :)
One more to go further offtopic:

"Seems as though most of the teams, if not all of them were advised by the tyre manufacturers not to change tyres during this race. Quite a strange strategy"
(Savinov, megasport tv commentator, Monaco GP 2005 :lol: )

Ciro Pabón

This time is true: just one more.

"I've crashed a Formula 1 car there. I've crashed a Formula 1 car in most places, actually!"
--Martin Brundle at Magny-Cours, 2003--

This two don't count, as they`re again from Brundle:

"Watching this new [track] layout, one word keeps coming into my mind: why?"
-Martin Brundle at Magny-Cours, 2003-

"Frank (Williams) will be jumping up and down at that"
-Martin Brundle-

I was lying... the unquotable Todt said, in another brain fade:

"We've been having some handling problems, but I'm sure we can handle them"
-Jean Todt-

Now, the last and I'll shut up and let you continue the nice thread this was until modbaraban started to tell jokes :) It is slightly on thread, but don't blame me.

"So Mika, don't you expect another engine blown in the last lap, right?"
"No it is not in our today's plans"
-Mika Hakkinen-

Pleeze, NOTICE I did not quote Murray Walker...
Ciro

waynes

mark webber on live tv "kids, not enough experience to do the job and --- it all up"

Rob W

And don't forget the number of times Webber had brain-fade himself during races when he was at Williams. I used to have a running joke with friends over which lap Webber would crash.

Rob W

Scuderia_Russ

The Torro Rosso boys looked gutted!! :cry:
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Rob W

Scuderia_Russ wrote:The Torro Rosso boys looked gutted!! :cry:
Yeah, for sure. Bummer of a way to go out.. especially when some guys drove so well only to be clipped by others..

That's rain I guess.

Rob W

Ciro Pabón

... and that's the back of Webber`s car, not the track.
Ciro

jamsbong

Personally, I think Vettel is a good rookie driver. He is certainly way better than the useless diary writing Scott Speed. Yes, the accident was completely his fault. However, accitdents like this occurs very frequently. Remember Michael was knocked off by Sato in 2005 just before the restart after safety car.

Sato in 2005 was way more experience than yesterday's Vettel.

Lewis had to brake hard and accelerate to keep the tires warm. This really makes it risky for other drivers who maybe following closely.

I think F1 should rethink the safety car scenario and add on a proper brake lights. Not just one that blinks with no indication of the car slowing down. Of course, the brake light will not be used for racing situation as drivers shouldn't be teaching his rival behind when to brake.

m3_lover

Does anybody think that Vettel was crying when they showed him with his head down?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

modbaraban

m3_lover wrote:Does anybody think that Vettel was crying when they showed him with his head down?
Possibly. the commentator sounded sure about that. In any case I'd rather keep my head inside the helmet for some time if I were Vettel #-o

Ciro Pabón

Well, seriously, Vettel fastest lap times were astounding. Mark Webber, on thread, he seemed to be able to win. I really feel for the guy, he deserved the race.

Lap times from the Japanese Grand Prix

1- Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes: 1:28.193
2- Fernando Alonso McLaren-Mercedes: 1:28.511
3- Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault: 1:28.940
4- Robert Kubica BMW 32 14:32:26: 1:29.021
5- Sebastian Vettel STR-Ferrari: 1:29.057
6- Nick Heidfeld BMW: 1:29.084
7- Felipe Massa Ferrari: 1:29.588
8- Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari: 1:29.619
9- Heikki Kovalainen Renault: 1:29.655
10- Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota: 1:29.926
11- David Coulthard Red Bull-Renault: 1:30.086
12- Giancarlo Fisichella Renault: 1:30.387
13- Vitantonio Liuzzi STR-Ferrari: 1:30.653
14- Ralf Schumacher Toyota: 1:30.865
15- Rubens Barrichello Honda: 1:31.060
16- Takuma Sato Super Aguri-Honda: 1:31.507
17- Anthony Davidson Super Aguri-Honda: 1:31.803
18- Adrian Sutil Spyker-Ferrari: 1:31.891
19- Jenson Button Honda: 1:31.951
20- Sakon Yamamoto Spyker-Ferrari: 1:32.130
21- Jarno Trulli Toyota: 1:32.414
22- Alexander Wurz Williams-Toyota: 2:05.636
Ciro

checkered

Ciro Pabón wrote:Well, seriously, Vettel fastest lap times were astounding. Mark Webber, on thread, he seemed to be able to win. I really feel for the guy, he deserved the race.
Yep, it was a

cruel, cruel race for both. If Vettel did weep I'd think no less of him for doing so, they were in such a good position. And Mark ... oh boy. He actually had a badly upset stomach (sushi, anyone?) from the previous night. He missed the drivers' parade. He threw up inside his helmet five laps in and kept driving. When Vettel hit him, he went to the medical center, not to the RBR facilities.

Horner did think Webber could've won (from Autosport.com):
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62913
Christian Horner wrote:I think it could well have been. He had got his head down in true Aussie fashion. He was absolutely on it today. His pace was exceptional, the strategy worked well for us and we had a lot of fuel in the car from the start.

He had jumped Vettel quite comfortably during the stop and then really closed in on Lewis. In the laps up to the safety car he was doing the same times as Lewis, if not a bit quicker, so it was looking extremely positive at that stage.

Basically we had a strategic choice, whether we cover the safety car and take what would have been a guaranteed third behind the two McLarens, or we take them on. We elected to take them on.

We went the extra laps and really ate into the lead of Lewis. Obviously with Mark the car he was racing with, Lewis, was actually for the lead. And he was finding his rhythm and looking very good, so it is one of those things.

modbaraban

Belatti

Well, Its not the first time that a driver cries, remember the former iceman Hakkinen "melting" in Italian GP after commiting a mistake.

About crashes behind the safety car, well its not the first time, I think drivers are often toooo stoooopidly aggresive there, they should save that to the race.

I remember Montoya spinning before Aussie GP once, tyring to warm tyres and some others situation where nobody could belive what was going on.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Rob W

Belatti wrote:About crashes behind the safety car, well its not the first time, I think drivers are often toooo stoooopidly aggresive there, they should save that to the race.
Button! In his first season he clipped another car when behind the safety car and had to retire.

Rob W