Fairness of F1 editorial

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
axle
axle

Fairness of F1 editorial

http://www.f1technical.net/news/7320

Seems like it's wholly inaccurate and written before the author had a full grasp of the facts!
- Axle

zac510
zac510

No name signed to it either.

zenvision

well, adding things up:
Kovalainen is at the centre of fresh intrigue about what was going on behind the safety car, amid reports that Renault advised him to stay well back of Hamilton on advice from FIA race director Charlie Whiting.

When asked about why that happened, Kovalainen said: "Honestly, you would need to ask Charlie [Whiting] from the FIA. I don't know why.

"I was surprised to hear from my team that I had a warning from the FIA to not get too close to Lewis. I was surprised, because I didn't feel I was causing any danger to anyone.
add to that the failure to penalize Hamilton dangerous driving, and penalizing Kubica for actually racing with Hamilton and to spice things up:

[/b]"It is painfully obvious to me that the right guy to be world champion is Lewis," said Ecclestone.

"In fact, my main fear would be if he didn't win it.[/b] Kimi Raikkonen barely talks to anyone and as such has done little for the sport, and as for Fernando Alonso, in his two years as world champion he has done nothing."
Maybe now we know why the drivers weren't penalized too. Anyway, maybe Bernie's comments were stupid, but I believe F1 should have more integrity than this.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

modbaraban
modbaraban

Principessa

:arrow: viewtopic.php?p=61185#61185

As you might see next to the newsarticle, I'm the one that wrote it. It's a column like written on many F1 and other newssites! The facts are not wrong as you suggested it. At the moment I wrote my column, the news about the withdrawing of Vettel's penalty was not yet available! I have apologised to the people who might have been offended by this column in the thread named above.

Ciro Pabón

It was obvious that the short note was written by you (who else?). I was glad, thinking this was one of the first opinion pieces in this site. I was expecting more.

Do not tell us that YOU are being censored... Of course you have the support of many around. That's why we're here.

Frankly, I'm starting to realize Manchild was right. This is becoming the World Wrestling Federation of racing.
Ciro

axle
axle

Principessa wrote::arrow: viewtopic.php?p=61185#61185

As you might see next to the newsarticle, I'm the one that wrote it. It's a column like written on many F1 and other newssites! The facts are not wrong as you suggested it. At the moment I wrote my column, the news about the withdrawing of Vettel's penalty was not yet available! I have apologised to the people who might have been offended by this column in the thread named above.
I had heard the full facts a while before seeing your news item appear. I respect that IF the out come had have still seen Vettel punished it would have been unfair.

It's the first time I've thought any news item was *wrong*. Please don't take my critism personally, I've just ticked off the BBC too, they keep putting Williams-BMW the muppets :)

Anyhoo - keep up the good work.
- Axle

Carlos
Carlos

Busy but not too busy to comment on such an important issue:

Principessa- As the main writer for F1T you are certainly entitled and qualified to write news or opinion. Do not accept censorship or consider self censorship. You are also the Editor of F1Technical and keep closely informed about the many issues and sidebars of Formula 1 and have insights into the sport that require your comments. When writing articles other than News please caption them as Editorial or Opinion. I look forward to more commentary articles.

Ciro Pabón

Axle: how could an opinion be wrong? All the article says is that punishments are one sided. The fact that Vettel was "pardoned" only makes this more evident.

Frankly, I'm becoming tired of having to share a site with people in your position. And I'm not the only one. After a few posts, totally one sided, they feel they have the right to criticize the admins on an opinon piece! And they don't give any arguments at all, only that they think it's wrong! That's some chutzpah.

Try PitPass to see how people that spend money and effort to keep a site reacts to morons like you. The worst part: levi and axle are not alone, according to the admins.

I won't go as low as you, but rest assured, I will try to fill the void that Manchild left, no more Mr. Nice Guy. Principessa is a decent person. I don't have to be one all the time: I only have the need to be right with those who deserve to be talked to, not with disruptors. So...

For starters, the "article" says Ferrari came out of the Stepney's affair untouched. It's that a lie?

Then it says Hamilton has the support of Bernie. Bernie himself says the same.

Finally, it says Vettel was unjustly punished. What was the end result of that punishment? Stewards agree with Principessa, for heavens sake!

Is blind people, totally obfuscated by the lack of intelligence, persons not interested on competition but on the crown, fans of a team or a person, not of the sport, who are going to dominate the opinions in this site?

Am I alone in trying to concentrate on the cars? I quoted Saward on this mater recently. You, axle should read him a little, before coming here to disturb the peace of a site that has given many things to the world without your interference, or your two line, one sided posts, lacking substance and syntax.

See you in any thread that requires knowledge, passion and interest, to read your written "marvels". I would be ashamed of being in your position, if you are interested on the opinion of someone that prides himself on having patience, a wish for learning and the need to not make an ***hole of himself.

If there were a way to expell someone from this site, I would sign a petition about these two guys without a minute of doubt.

I remember a time when being a Ferrari fan was a hard thing to do: they did not win a championship in decades, they were the ridicule of the F1 world. A fan of Ferrari was, certainly, not on a bandwagon.

Now, it seems that Ferrari is a magnet for the intellectual scum of the world. I have only compassion for true tifosi: they are in bad, bad company. And true tifosi we have here, people, that like true McLaren and Renault fans, can understand how important is to be magnanimous in victory: it's what differentiates champions from people that win a championship.

We've learned the hard-to-believe "fact" that Principessa has NOT the right to be a fan of Vettel and Renault ON HER OWN SITE. Live and learn.

And zac, do you need a signature on this site news? Man, pleeze, Principessa makes them single-handedly. Wake up.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 06 Oct 2007, 17:13, edited 3 times in total.
Ciro

Tom

I'd say keep anything too contraversial off the main page and save it for the forum, but its your site so dowhat you feel is best.

As for levi, there are some people I've disagreed with on this forum, but none that I would want to physically hurt, with a single post this guy has got closer than anyone ever before, congrats man, you are the biggest arse on the forum, you should be very proud.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

FLC
FLC

axle wrote: I respect that IF the out come had have still seen Vettel punished it would have been unfair.
I don't see how that changes the relevance. I don't see any logic in the decision to mitigate his punishment while there is nobody else to take what's left of the blame.

axle
axle

FLC wrote:
axle wrote: I respect that IF the out come had have still seen Vettel punished it would have been unfair.
I don't see how that changes the relevance. I don't see any logic in the decision to mitigate his punishment while there is nobody else to take what's left of the blame.
IMO any punishment would have been unfair on any driver (inc Kubica!) ...if Lewis's driving under the SC had have been poor then CW should have acted there and then, otherwise it's like giving the opposition a goal after the match. Maybe the stewards should have had a better handle on things....in awful conditions I'm just amazed there wern't more crashes. I heard that Vettel had been cleared at the same time as I heard about Hamilton. The original news item was posted sometime after this and I felt it was mis-guided and a little rash. A rare slip for the man in charge.
Axle: how could an opinion be wrong? All the article says is that punishments are one sided. The fact that Vettel was "pardoned" only makes this more evident.
The opinion was IMO wrong because it had neglected AT THE TIME to get all of the information. I can see that some might think it's all one sided to help Lewis. But as I say before, they were under the safety car long enough for Charlie to have had a word with Lewis over the radio if he didn't like what he saw...or give him a drive through. Punishment afterwards will just ruin the sport more, I think the stewards have more to answer for than the drivers. I'm delighted Vettel's punishment was recinded as in those conditions I think it's far too easy to critcise from the comfort of an armchair. It was an accident, Webber was too close to Lewis, vettel to webber...and the rules about 5 car lengths for the SC to the leader didn't help in these conditions.

I think there are a lot of lessons to be learned. But no punishments really fitted as there was no real crime.

All IMO...we all see it differently. I am still full of praise for Principessa's work.

Fingers crossed for a clean uncontentious race!!!
- Axle

Ciro Pabón

axle wrote: All IMO...we all see it differently. I am still full of praise for Principessa's work.

Fingers crossed for a clean uncontentious race!!!
I don't care about your opinions on the penalty. Actually, I don't care about the incident.

I DO care about the fact that, "praising" Principessa does NOT include, in your opinion, her right to make comments about anything on her own site.

Besides, her failing to consult some news that appeared at the same time as her journalistic piece does not give you any right to supress her rights.

You're a moron, no matter how hard you try to conceal the fact, and I will remind you this for as long as I can, until you ask for excuses from the forum, which your tiny mind apparently impedes you to do. You are at the same level of levi, or whatever his nick is, a guy that cannot spell right the name of his own country in his profile. I used to have an excellent opinion of british people (my wife is one), as fair minded persons. You are making me reconsider my position: you still do not realize how insulting your short post was... Asperger's syndrome anyone? :roll:
Ciro

modbaraban
modbaraban

My opinion (briefly) on the original issue:

I'd really like to see more editorials/columns on the http://www.f1technical.net homepage. Not just by Principessa or Tomba but by some of our forumers (those who have 'columnistic tendancies' :lol: ) as well.
However the columns/editorials and news articles should be kept separately within the homepage interface.

West
West

I didn't see anything contraversial about the editorial... maybe the fact that it wasn't marked as an editorial or opinion beforehand.

Anyway, I wouldn't blame Hamilton, but Vettel himself. I do not believe he should have been let off free. Look at Takuma Sato. He always gets punished for trying to run over other drivers. Although his mistakes are accidental, they were considered "stupid" and "careless" at the time. Hard to believe that Vettel wasn't aware of the situation.

Hamilton may or may not have been given a helping hand from the FIA, but the fact is that the media gets a boner whenever they talk about him. I would respect him a lot more if everybody wasn't hanging onto his nuts all the time. There may have been this kind of frustration when the article was written.

As for levi, I hope you don't post here any longer. Go look at other F1 sites; it's pretty obvious you have little, if anything, to contribute. And you are stealing the oxygen everybody else needs to breathe.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements