2007 Season and the current points system

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FLC
FLC

2007 Season and the current points system

Below are 2 graphs showing the rate in which every driver of the top 4, as well as their teams, have been accumulating points through out the season, up to the last race which will take place in Interlagos, Brazil:

The next 2 shows what would have been the situation with the old points system (10,6,4,3,2,1):

Very interesting to see that the old system would have improved Raikkonen's situation, as he would have had 83 points, in comparison to Hamilton's 87 and Alonso's 81.
But while the drivers situation would have been a bit closer, the battle between the teams would have been maybe less interesting, as McLaren's lead would have grown to 18 points, instead of the current 9.

*Needless to say, McLaren were given their points back only for the purpose of this comparison :wink: , and the deduction of constructor points by the stewards of the Hungarian GP was taken into account.

More conclusions or thoughts will be welcomed.
Last edited by FLC on 10 Oct 2007, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

Saribro

I've done similar reviews of all sorts of different points-systems, and have noted that the difference tends to be in the middle of the pack, whereas the top ~5 are within very similar trends.

onon

i would like to know which car suits better for this track, mclaren or ferrari? it is bumpy and i heard that you need a lot of mechanical grip on this type of tracks. i know that ferrari was strong on tracks where you require aerodynamic grip.

mx_tifoso

What is the exact topic of this thread? Is it about the Brazilian GP, or about how the points system has affected the WC position of the drivers and teams heading into Brazil? :?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

kimi

well i am also a bit confused about d objective of the topic.. :wink:

@onon
brazil is a very bumpy track.d cars a lot of mechanical grip especially in sector 2,in which case mclaren r very strong,but comin 2 sector 1 n sector 3 ferrari will again be strong..but its yet 2 be seen who has dat extra bit of an advantage over d other..

HKS

Guys I reckon the thread starter has come up with a wrong title

FLC
FLC

Sorry guys, my intention was to show how the 4 top drivers and 2 top teams have got to where they are today, one race before the end of the system, and what would have happened had the FIA was using the old points system.
I thought it would be interesting to see, as already at the beginning people were complaining about how wins are not properly rewarded anymore and specifically how LH have managed to stay at the top although his wins came last.
Again, sorry about the confusion, I have changed the title. :oops:

modbaraban

The original title was indeed appropriate and also more poetic I dare say...