Alonso shown Renault plans for 2008?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Iciano

mx_tifosi wrote:Alonso returning to Renault is not official as of today, its mere speculation that has all of you celebrating way too early before victory. My suggestion, don't get your hopes up.

But of course ;)

Tom

I'd like to see Alonso back to Renault too, honestly its what everyone wants, he's happy, all his fans are happy, Mclaren is happy, Renault is happy, Lewis is Happy, Kimi is happy (honest, just cus he's not smiling) and Rosburg is very happy.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

ss_collins
ss_collins

openly offered data is not an issue. If ron dennis went to Ferrari an said heres our data they would say thank you very much...

its only when its not authorised when you get a problem

Rob W

ss_collins wrote:openly offered data is not an issue. If ron dennis went to Ferrari an said heres our data they would say thank you very much...
You are thinking along a moral/mutual acceptance lines when sporting regulations make it clear. It is against the sporting code of conduct. In the situation you suggest Ferrari would be obliged, as a competitor in F1, to ask him to take them away and - to cover their own arses incase it came out later - notify the FIA about it.

If your situation was allowed then two teams could swap a few bits bits of data /design-info to gain advantage over a 3rd or 4th team to make sure they keep ahead of them. Most teams on the grid would be happy if you said to them: you're never going to be better than 3rd, but you'll be 3rd for the next ten years... That is what is risked by leaving the gate open for teams, willingly or not, to share information (which they couldn't get from just looking at the cars at a test or race).

Anyway.. Alonso back to Renault - haven't seen it written anywhere which I consider trustworthy yet, just more headline gabbing newspaper muppets.

Rob W

megz

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/ ... 4058.shtml

Well.... Im not a fan of the site. But....

HKS

I would be delighted to see Fernando back in Renault.

Talking about Renault asa car, well what was Mclaren in 2006 and whatis it now at present.

the car is reliable this year unlike the last year, so nothing can be said about that. :D

MrT
MrT

ss_collins wrote:openly offered data is not an issue. If ron dennis went to Ferrari an said heres our data they would say thank you very much...

its only when its not authorised when you get a problem
Is that not what ferrari did to Mclaren?? Nigel Stepney, an employee of Ferrari, and therefore a representative of ferrari offered Mclaren lots of data....See I never understood why this was never brought up... In my view although it was wrong of Mclaren to accept, Ferrari must take some blame for Nigel Stepney giving the data to Mclaren, They should keep their own house in order?! I know some may disagree with this point of view, but you have to admit it is just that!

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

It's difficult to imagine how Alonso can have a ride in McLaren next year, title or not. There is so much ill feeling between Alonso and Dennis I think any relationship is not workable.
First off, will Dennis be willing to throw away about 20 million just to punish Alonso by sitting him out all next season. He does have a very good contract with Alonso, and it's Dennis's decision if, and when Alonso leaves McLaren.
If he does go, I see only renault welcoming him. Who can really trust this guy anymore? I bet that even at Ferrari, they are nervous about having Alonso. He's a loose cannon, willing to damage his own team to further his personal agenda.
My first opinion is that Dennis will enforce the contract, hang on to Alonso, and force him on a year-long vacation away from F1. And there's nothing Fernando can do about it but whine and complain.....

Rob W

DaveKillens wrote:My first opinion is that Dennis will enforce the contract, hang on to Alonso, and force him on a year-long vacation away from F1. And there's nothing Fernando can do about it but whine and complain.....
Without doubt Alonso's contract is dependent on him driving in the races. It's a total no-brainer. If they don't want him to race, he will be free to leave and they wont be able to stop him.

Also, I don't really think it's fair to malign Alonso over many of the things that have happened this year. He was in some of the emails - for sure - but Hamilton also got the benefit from all and any improvement or development which came from it. So, since he's leading the points, you could argue that he was the ultimate benefactor of McLaren's wrongdoings.

Most of what has been said in the media in tit-for-tat comments is completely unfounded - some has even been flatly denied by the parties involved, not that tabloids seem to care. In the case of Alonso's Hungary ultimatum just imagine his position for a second : he thought he was being treated as number 2. McLaren were the people who opened the door to driver priority in his eyes - look at the qualifying Q1 incident - to him it would have looked like favouritism for Hamilton. He just thought he'd fight back (granted totally in an un-teamlike way - he could have just driven faster :lol:)

Likewise, since Hamilton was present at more testing throughout the year than Alonso I find it impossible to believe he didn't have lengthy discussions with De La Rosa in full knowledge that the info was coming via Coulghan/Stepney - he was just lucky not to have ever emailed about it. (on a side note, I was told by an industry insider that once the De La Rosa/Alonso conversation was found they didn't bother to look at Hamilton's emails - Bernie perhaps trying to not detract from the great PR surge F1 has had in 2007 by dragging the wonder-kid into it all)

At the time of the 'threat' Alonso knew already that an appeal hearing was coming up - and that McLaren was possibly in for closer scrutiny. He did not cause their problems and, as I said in another thread, his threat actually started the chain of events which resulted in both Hamilton and himself still being in the championship at all. This is a fact. Legally and from all comments made by Mosley - the only reason the McLaren drivers are still in the competition is because of Ron going to the FIA and sparking them to offer the immunity for immediate disclosure from the drivers. You could argue they should be thanking Alonso for them being able to race at all at the moment.

Rob W

bizadfar
bizadfar

Militia Est Vita wrote:
Schumi we miss you wrote:Oh if Fernando would be back in Renault then What about Piquet Jr? When would he be given a chance?
When Fernando or Heikki leave or retire?? :(
What about Williams for Piquet? Sounds like a possibility.

Toyota just signed Timo Glock and they were trying to get Alonso, so that means that they already know that Alonso will definetly join Renault next year.
Do you have a link about Timo Glock. Havn't heard anything yet.
tomislavp4 wrote:The chanses to see him fighting for the title next year are small then, considering how well renault is doing :?

But I can´t wait to see him out of McLaren :evil:
Why so ignorant? Where was Williams last year? Mclaren in 2004 (regarding 05 season).
DaveKillens wrote:It's difficult to imagine how Alonso can have a ride in McLaren next year, title or not. There is so much ill feeling between Alonso and Dennis I think any relationship is not workable.
First off, will Dennis be willing to throw away about 20 million just to punish Alonso by sitting him out all next season. He does have a very good contract with Alonso, and it's Dennis's decision if, and when Alonso leaves McLaren.
If he does go, I see only renault welcoming him. Who can really trust this guy anymore? I bet that even at Ferrari, they are nervous about having Alonso. He's a loose cannon, willing to damage his own team to further his personal agenda.
My first opinion is that Dennis will enforce the contract, hang on to Alonso, and force him on a year-long vacation away from F1. And there's nothing Fernando can do about it but whine and complain.....
I agree, Dennis is a bit of a tight stingy man on these things. Good recent comparison was when Kimi went to Ferrari, Mclaren didn't release him till Jan 1 2007. Renault/Flavio released Alonso way before. Dennis just had to be an ass? :evil:

Giblet
Giblet

There is a stipulation in Alonso's contract that he can get out of it if his reputation is tarnished by actions of his team.

Since the spy saga, it would be easy for him to prove that.

MrT
MrT

Some would argue that his actions tarnished the team.

astsmtl

Rob W wrote: At the time of the 'threat' Alonso knew already that an appeal hearing was coming up - and that McLaren was possibly in for closer scrutiny. He did not cause their problems and, as I said in another thread, his threat actually started the chain of events which resulted in both Hamilton and himself still being in the championship at all. This is a fact. Legally and from all comments made by Mosley - the only reason the McLaren drivers are still in the competition is because of Ron going to the FIA and sparking them to offer the immunity for immediate disclosure from the drivers. You could argue they should be thanking Alonso for them being able to race at all at the moment.
Rob W
de la Rosa and Alonso should disclosed that they had access to Ferrari data earlier. At the first hearing, Dennis convinced WMSC that no secret Ferrari information circulated in McLaren. That proved to be untrue at the second hearing. And once again i remind you: Alonso tried to blackmail Dennis.

astsmtl

bizadfar wrote: I agree, Dennis is a bit of a tight stingy man on these things. Good recent comparison was when Kimi went to Ferrari, Mclaren didn't release him till Jan 1 2007. Renault/Flavio released Alonso way before. Dennis just had to be an ass? :evil:
You are wrong:
Wikipedia wrote: On December 19, 2005, Fernando Alonso announced that he would be moving to McLaren for 2007. His contract with Renault was set to expire on December 31, 2006 However, on December 15, 2006, Alonso was allowed by Flavio Briatore and the Renault F1 Team to test for one day for McLaren in the Jerez circuit, as a result of his successes with Renault.

Rob W

astsmtl wrote:de la Rosa and Alonso should disclosed that they had access to Ferrari data earlier. At the first hearing, Dennis convinced WMSC that no secret Ferrari information circulated in McLaren.
For sure, I have no issue with that. It is a fair call. But I'd say they were weeks, if not months, behind the initial information swapping. Alonso is being blamed for stuff which he was 3rd, 4th or even 5th person down the chain - it just suits the news writers to talk about him because he is a public figure. (No-one really thinks that drug-using athletes make the drugs themselves do they? They just buy them from someone - but we never remember that person's name because they're irrelevant).

I think Alonso has shown his true character by threatening Dennis - definitely a shady thing to do to an employer if it did indeed happen as Dennis has said. But that is a side-issue/minor detail in the scheme of things. Alonso was offered, via De La Rosa (and Coulghan and Stepney) information which helped him and Hamilton to be more competitive. This is something which they don't even dispute.

Alonso was caught up in something which he was by no means the instigator nor the ultimate beneficiary of. But, once again, it makes sense that the UK media in particular slate him constantly yet not Hamilton who has got the same benefit from any information sourced/learned by the team.

Rob W