BMW Boss Mario Theissen Proud Od His Teams Accomplishments

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
waynes

BMW Boss Mario Theissen Proud Od His Teams Accomplishments

BMW Sauber boss Mario Theissen says the team should be proud of its accomplishments this season.

With just the final round in Brazil remaining, the Hinwil-based squad has already almost trebled its points score from 2006 and secured the runner-up position in the constructors’ championship after McLaren’s ‘spygate’ penalty.

“For the BMW Sauber F1 Team this has been a successful season,” said Theissen.

“We can be proud of what we have achieved, both in terms of our development work over the winter and the pace of development during the season.

“In our two start-up years we have reached our target each time.

“In 2007 we started out from fifth place in the world championship – with 36 championship points earned in our debut season.

“Fourth place with a clear points increase was a firm commitment, third place an option.

“It was very gratifying to be able to see ourselves as the third-strongest team right from the start and to shore up that position in virtually every race.

“An administrative decision even handed us second place on a plate, but that really doesn’t mean anything to us as we know there are still four cars that are faster than ours.

“Our aim is to beat them out on the race track.”

The team’s drivers Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica are looking to end the year on a high note after a disappointing Far Eastern double-header in which both suffered an unusual amount of technical gremlins.

Heidfeld is a fan of the twisting Interlagos track.

“For me, the circuit in Sao Paulo is one of the best of all,” he said.

“It is challenging, both in terms of driving skill and physically.

“It's an anti-clockwise track and the straight is actually a long sweeping curve that puts your neck muscles under real strain.

“Then there’s the bumpy surface.

“The best sections come after turn three.

“Turn five, which is an uphill double right-hander, is one of my favourites.

“I took my first podium finish in Interlagos in 2001 after coming third. That’s something you never forget.”

Kubica, who was on course for a possible podium finish in China until hydraulic problems intervened, is aiming to score points next Sunday to confirm sixth place in the drivers’ standings ahead of Renault’s Heikki Kovalainen.

“Of course we are looking forward to Brazil,” he said.

“We will try our best, and then everything we do once we get back to Europe will be new as we will be working for next year.

“The track itself is very bumpy and quite tricky.

“There is a big uphill section after the last corner where last year we were losing a lot of speed, especially in the race, so I hope we can do better this year.

“Though the 2006 race was not bad, I only finished ninth, and this year I want to score points in the season’s finale.”

Technical director Willy Rampf added: “After two rather mixed-bag grands prix, we want to pull out all the stops again for our last race and see out a very successful season on a positive note.”
so he should be, a fast car, 2 very quick drivers, one who i rate very highly (Nick), next year could be good for the team

also, seeing Robert survive the horror shunt in canada and then drive a stellar race at magny cours makes me happy

best of luck 2008 (although i hope Honda produce a decent car or Jensons off)

Rob W

In some ways the spying scandal this year has diverted attention away from what really is a great season for BMW. The drivers have done an excellent job and the car has performed solidly 3rd all year. Good on them.

Rob W

tomislavp4

I think we will see them between the McLarens and Ferraris more often next year but I can´t really see them fighting for a title yet :)
They have a good catching up to do, maybe in ´09 :wink:

---------------------------GO BMW SAUBER----------------------------

Tom

I have been very impressed with the team over the last 2 years, it proves that both BMW and Sauber were great teams all along and each just needed the other to make the step towards the top. As long as they don't Honda and go from a great championship season back to middle of the pack like a few years ago. I think Kubika was actually leading the GP in China last week with the same amount of fuel as the 'top 4' before his retirement. Although he may have been on the wrong tyres. I wouldn't be too surprised if they took a few wins next season, Saubers first I think.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

kimi

for me they are the most improving team of the season.they may not fight for the title next season but they are suddenly capable of winning races n challenge d ferraris and the mclarens once in a while..

redline

I hope they are not proud of their gearbox and hydraulic system.
Last edited by redline on 14 Oct 2007, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

FW 21

redline wrote:I hope they are not proud of a their gearbox and hydraulic system.
Not a problem from the Sauber side!, they had a perfectly good gearbox department but BMW decided they could do it better in Munich.

redline

You're right. All problems started when they switched to "seamless" gearbox. However, in China gearbox itself wasn't the issue. Something in the hydraulic circuit failed so Robert lost not only ability to change gears but also power steering.

FW 21

redline wrote:You're right. All problems started when they switched to "seamless" gearbox. However, in China gearbox itself wasn't the issue. Something in the hydraulic circuit failed so Robert lost not only ability to change gears but also power steering.
It happened to Nick three times that weekend also

tomislavp4

That was quite strange in my oppinion, it didn´t happen before only that weekend, and 4 times! Maybe they were testing something new who knows :roll:

DaveKillens

Despite the fact all teams fight for their very best each and every race, this is a good time for BMW to try experimental and new stuff. The team itself has 2nd in the manufacturer's locked up, Heidfeld has 5th no matter what, and Kubica can finish 6th as long as he as aware that Kovalanen is 5 points behind him. So even if parts break, it won't be the end of the world. It's better to find flaws in next year's proposed equimplent today rather than sometimes at the start of a new season.
And since BMW's goals have easily been exceeded, it becomes harder to shoot higher when you have 2nd in the manufacturer's and both drivers have definitely proven the BMW is the third best (and quickest) team. So you aim at winning now, and considering how much BMW has improved in the last 2 years, the fact the parent company must be pleased (more money and resources), and the fact the BMW organization is only just now filled out into the large and powerful technical organization it takes to go to the top.
Drivers... they have two of the best. For starters let's look at Kubica. Obviously he trails Heidfeld, but I really like his mental toughness. Bad crash in Canada, and once he gets back in the car, no hesitation or trepidation, he goes fast. Imagine if it had been Ralf. Six weeks off to heal, and six races to get his mental frame of mind back to being fast and not terrified of any problems.
Heidfeld is a reborn man ever since Kubica came to the team and started to really push him hard. He's the best of the rest, claiming ownership of fifth place.
I see wins coming next year, and even more pleasant surprises for BMW.

FW 21

tomislavp4 wrote:That was quite strange in my oppinion, it didn´t happen before only that weekend, and 4 times! Maybe they were testing something new who knows :roll:
It wasnt new parts, just the same problems they have had with the hydraulics all year, two words "unreliable" and "fragile".

The only difference is that it bit them four times that weekend