Kimi Raikkonen - F1 2007 driver's champion!!!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
oladunk
oladunk

Congrats to Kimi. I really appreciated that he came out as the winner.....

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

making up a 17 pts deficit in 2 race, not a bad way to win it....

Rob W

... so if it wasn't for the farcical qualifying penalty for Alonso he would have won. It just goes to show - every point lost in every race of the season can come back to bite you.

Rob W

jddh1

I also posted this in the other thread, but just so you know, Kimi is confirmed as World Champion according to eurosport.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/21102007/58/ ... irmed.html

jamsbong
jamsbong

Congratulation Kimi Raikonnen for winning the 2007 F1 championship.

He guy deserved it all the way, especially after so many unlucky years that he had to endure in Mclaren.

I want to see him win again next year and I think he will.

Listening to the very bias ITV commentary from James Allen, I really feel that Hamilton is even more over rated than ever. You'll notice that Hamilton can't consistently keep his speed when there is something wrong with the car. of course, he is still a rookie, so a few more years should fix that problem.

Honestly, I think without traction control I am expecting the top drivers remain on top of their games. Drivers like Alonso, Kimi, Kubica, Vettel, Weber and Kovoleinen. I think you'll see more clumsy acts from the bottom end when traction control is banned.

HKS

Fernando lost
All Thanks to Ron :evil:

Mclaren paid no attention to Fernando's car

ss.vamsikrishna
ss.vamsikrishna

KIMI IS GOD , AND HE DESERVES A WC , sorry to alonso and lewis fans :D :lol: :wink:
he is the best in the world and there is no doubt, he came from the back and won the championship, a true champion in very possible way.

walter
walter

i doubt kimi is God. but it seemed like God is a Ferrari fan. :)

Steven
Owner

I too feel pretty bad for Fernando. All in all I think he performed very well during the season considering the problems he had in the team. I am convinced that if there would have been full support for Fernando he would have easily become World Champion.

Anyway, good job for Kimi who drove solidly all the way through the season. He is really one who never gives up and fights for it the full 100%. Good job.

And finally for Lewis, that are going to be some sleepless nights I think...

effuno
effuno

forget about who deserves it! its too tough a question to answer and we'll never have a meaningful conclusion. Kimi scored more points and he won; its as simple as that.

the alonso and lewis bashing was to an extent non-sense. They were great. We should thank them for all the drama and track actions(simulataneously..! :D ) they provided us.

I had a chance to listen to the ITV commentry( this was the first race I watched after being in Uk... and more : i watched that in a pub with spaniards and some kimi fans around me.. :D ). Man, got to tell you that it is absolute BS. They were interviewing jenson button after he blew his honda while they did not care about asking mark webber of his disappointment for having dropped out of 5th place with a freaky mechanical failure !! :roll:

And ads take up atleast 2-3 laps each time..! we missed lewis slowing down... :(

Tom

Fernando certainly didn't lose the championship, if you look at it that way you are certainly no fan of his! Alonso and Hamilton came equal 2nd, a single point behind the man who is officially the best Formula 1 driver in the world in officially the best formula 1 car in the world. For 2 guys to debut in a team which struggled to finish races last year and take it to such heights as I mentioned proves that they, the team and possibly most of all the team principle (whos job it is to control everything within his power) are outstanding. When you consider all that they have gone through this year it is more than luck that got them where they are.

Just about the entire field this year have performed like champions, no team and no driver can be classed as losers, even Nakajima who started (and finished!) a single race drove his heart out despite making some demoralising mistakes, he kept going and performed admirably.

However at the end of the day Kimi was the best, like it or not, it has surely been one of the greatest and worse season the sport has even witnessed and one man just had a bit more grit than the rest, one team made more right moves than the rest and no matter how many times people repeat their often biased and degrading opinions, nothing should be taken away from any competitor in the 2007 season.

Thank you all.

[/rant]
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

Kimi did the right things at the right time and kept a cool head. Lessons there for everyone.
He deserves it and I am looking forward to next year.
In the meantime, we should start to think about what will be important for the car design next year. What will the banning of traction control and standard ecus bring?

edit: There could also be a change to the points system again.
Come to think of it, what would this year be like with the old 10 6 4 3 2 1? Maybe a bonus point for fastest lap may also spice it up.

edit2: I'll answer my own question:-
2002 points system=
Kimi 93
Hamilton 87
Alonso 85

Going into Brazil
Hamilton 87
Kimi 83
Alonso 81

kimi
kimi

first of all congratulations to kimi.he truly deserved this championship.he has driven well throughout the year n has delivered under averse conditions.

so for me he is the champ.

but now i am hearing that mclaren will appeal the decision of the stewards.now thats pathetic.if they take the title from kimi i am afraid i would quit watching f1 until that a****** bernie and the FIA gives the control of f1 to anyone else.. :evil:

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

after some excel, I can reveal the following:-

If one point awarded for fastest lap:-
Kimi = 116
Alonso = 112
Lewis = 111
Massa = 100

-or-

If one point awarded for pole:-
Lewis = 115
Kimi = 113
Alonso = 111
Massa = 100

-or-
one point for pole and another for fastest lap:-
Kimi = 119
Lewis = 117
Alonso = 114
Massa = 106
(going into Brazil with this system, Lewis would have been 7 points ahead of both Kimi and Alonso)

Sawtooth-spike

i think what your Stats prove is that however you look at it (ignoring the politics) its been a Very close Season, and a plesure to watch (just not read about).

Fair play to Kimi. He has been solid no stupid error, other than monaco. Just wish he was a little less robotic... maybe he is a robot????? a Vodka fuel one? :D
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!