Lewis Hamilton - in a class of his own

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
basrawi

this is not a real replica

the real steeringwheel can be found here (with interactive function exlaining)
http://www.mclaren.com/features/technic ... _wheel.php
M Basrawi

astsmtl

basrawi wrote: this is not a real replica

the real steeringwheel can be found here (with interactive function exlaining)
http://www.mclaren.com/features/technic ... _wheel.php
And i believe this IS a real replica. I heard on PitPass that the same wheels will be available in McLaren's eShop and I don't think that McLaren will sell inaccurate model. I saw that the wheel's from Amalgam and McLaren's interactive steering wheel are different, so maybe the last is from MP4/21.

rkn

the steering wheel on mclaren.com is from MP4-20, not 22... They've probably changed the layout of the buttons since 2005

ben_watkins

yep the buttons on that model and the race car have slightly altered layout, when you look at the macca website..

from the video it looks like Hamilton is pressing the pit lane speed limit button after the car slows down - thinking that was the way to resolve the issue..

is there any footage showing the side of the car as it slows with the fuel flap up?

johny

definitively he doesn't touch any button on the right side of the wheel (where the PLS is) i think he keeps pressing N and upshifting gears to see if it can solve the problem, after a few tries he pushes the radio switch (from what i can see from youtube video). Also if he had pushed the PLS he should have noticed it looking at the revs leds in the display.

rkn

Here is a comparison of the two steering wheels, and yes the amalgam one differs a bit from the original of the MP4-22.

modbaraban

DaveKillens

Isn't it amazing how one irresponsible journalist can distort reality?
http://www.f1technical.net/news/7538

Lewis is an amazing rookie, and time and observation will tell. I recall other rookies, notably the Schumacher brothers. Neither looked anywhere as good as Lewis in their rookie years.
What amazes me even more is his performance in the rain. The wet is known as a great equalizer, where driver talent is incredibly important, and a better driver in a lesser car can beat a lesser driver in a better car. So watch out next year when traction control is abolished, I am sure his skills will shine.
And now that he has been mentally toughened and learned a few, very hard lessons, Lewis will be even better.

Carlos

Everybody will remember the lying yellow tripe originally published. I can't believe the gall of that ink stained insignifigant, what a limp, mealy mouthed excuse... send the rumour monger back to Journalism 101 and flunk the guttersnip out 3 or 4 times...then kick it down a couple of flights of stairs. Alright; I'm done.

I read http://www.f1technical.net/news/7538 and somebody should take that scribler's press card and give it to a responsible, professional journalist...hmmmm

Ray

Carlos wrote: I read http://www.f1technical.net/news/7538 and somebody should take that scribler's press card and give it to a responsible, professional journalist...hmmmm
Is there such a thing at that level? :lol:

modbaraban

Regardless the journalism issue... there's a left thumb (see above) righ on one of the buttons of the wheel right at the moment he went onto the curb. He could've pressed it by an accident which happened to me in race sims a number of times while running on curbs.
Knowing that he's a rookie I see no probem with that :roll: he already did surpass even the most optimistic pre-season expectations. I don't see any point in making a god-like hero of him, the second coming or whatever Ron is thinking... he's just a fantastic rookie.... fantastic yet rookie none the less... and the potential champion too.

tarzoon

Hamilton was a fantastic rookie, no doubt about it. And he will perform great for years to come. And he was involved in all the hype surrounding Alonso and McLaren. And if he wasn't as fast, maybe McLaren wouldn't have been punished in the same way.

Still, Kimi was the fastest guy around. And he deserved to win.

I just wish that next year without any TC makes the really good pilots stand in the crowd. And I'm sure Hamilton will be one of them.

modbaraban

astsmtl

Now i can clearly see that Hamilton pressed some button and did it on purpose rather than by accident. The question is which button he pressed? :roll:

P.S. mclaren.com published another version (flash based, previous used javascript) of interactive steering wheel.