Ross Brawn to become Honda team principal!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sawtooth-spike

Re: Ross Brawn to become Honda team principal!

donskar wrote: And how many Ferrari personnel will Todt lure away to Honda?
I think you mean brawn :wink:

I think this is great news for Honda, Lets just hope they listen to him, un like toyota did with gasgoine! ..... The Toyota way... they way to spend lots of money for sod all. I had a ex girlfriend that did that.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Braun has seen a lot of crap happen while he was on sabattical, and must have learned from it. Gascoyne and Toyota parting because of differences, Stepneygate, and more. So when he entered into an agreement with Honda, there won't be any confusion regarding roles, responsibilities, and power.
Suddenly, Honda are to be taken very seriously, and good things will start to happen to them.

Spencifer_Murphy

Brawn can only be a good thing for Honda. There is one big BUT though:

Honda like to opperate in their own way, kinda like how Toyota opperate via "The Toyota Way". Anyway, these "typically japanese ways of working" (apparently) have proven themselves not to work very well when it comes to running an F1 team.

The one and only time that either of these two teams had a good, and by that I mean a season that reflects what their resourses and money can achieve, was BAR-Honda in 2004. Back then it was headed by Dave Richards who did things his way - but because that wasn't the "Honda Way" (if we can call it that) he got sacked. And look where that landed them. Nick Fry is where, who, intelligent as he maybe, is not head strong enough to argue against the wishes of the Corporate Big Wigs.

Brawn on the other hand knows how to run an F1 team and if he does things his way they will go far - but will the corporate guys get rid of him for doing things "his way"?

For Brawn to make his mark he needs free reign - I hope he gets it.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

HKS

I have kept my fingers crossed :)
Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly, they are beautiful only when you win races.

ConsFW
ConsFW

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Brawn can only be a good thing for Honda. There is one big BUT though:

Honda like to opperate in their own way, kinda like how Toyota opperate via "The Toyota Way". Anyway, these "typically japanese ways of working" (apparently) have proven themselves not to work very well when it comes to running an F1 team.

The one and only time that either of these two teams had a good, and by that I mean a season that reflects what their resourses and money can achieve, was BAR-Honda in 2004. Back then it was headed by Dave Richards who did things his way - but because that wasn't the "Honda Way" (if we can call it that) he got sacked. And look where that landed them. Nick Fry is where, who, intelligent as he maybe, is not head strong enough to argue against the wishes of the Corporate Big Wigs.

Brawn on the other hand knows how to run an F1 team and if he does things his way they will go far - but will the corporate guys get rid of him for doing things "his way"?

For Brawn to make his mark he needs free reign - I hope he gets it.
I have not seen any evidence supporting your assertions. Why do you think that David Richards' departure from Honda was due to him not adhering to some so-called "Honda Way?" What makes you think Nick Fry is (or would like to be) going against the "Corporate Big Wigs?" You seem to suggest that Nick Fry is being held back by some oppressive corporate culture. According to this F1i article http://www.f1i.com/content/view/7192/1/ Fry had lobbied for David Richard's dismissal:

Richards was replaced by Nick Fry, a man Richards had appointed as chief operating officer of the team. It later emerged that Fry had secretly lobbied Honda for Richards’ dismissal. The critics were scathing when he was appointed and they were eventually proved right. Fry was an excellent number two to Richards but a hopeless leader of a Formula One team. His ambition had got the better of him and he squeezed all the creativity out of the team as he tried to give it a corporate image. Fry’s first year in charge was disastrous and twice civil war almost broke out amongst the executives. But his Formula One career was saved when Jenson Button luckily won the Hungarian Grand Prix in 2006. It completely covered up the sins of the past. Inevitably it was a false dawn.

According to the article, the Earth themed car was the idea of an advertising agency that Fry had chosen. Fry chose an agency with no prior experience in Formula One or any other form of motorsport:

The agency he appointed was 19 Entertainment, led by 45-year-old pop music guru, Simon Fuller. Fuller has a history all of his own, most of it good. But Fry’s decision to sign Fuller was strange, to say the least. Fuller had absolutely no Formula One experience; it was inexplicable to appoint an external agency with no experience of motorsport managing something as sensitive as its sponsorship selling and execution strategy.

Do you happen to have a copy of "The Honda Way" that I could look at? I haven't been able to find that anywhere. Is it a little red book given to each Honda employee or something? Also, what exactly is a "typically japanese ways of working?" I'm not sure what you meant by that.

HKS

Imagine if Ross uploads Ferrari data in honda computers :lol: :lol: :lol:
Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly, they are beautiful only when you win races.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

ConsFW wrote:
The agency he appointed was 19 Entertainment, led by 45-year-old pop music guru, Simon Fuller. Fuller has a history all of his own, most of it good. But Fry’s decision to sign Fuller was strange, to say the least. Fuller had absolutely no Formula One experience; it was inexplicable to appoint an external agency with no experience of motorsport managing something as sensitive as its sponsorship selling and execution strategy.
So no wonder Honda had the Beckhams languishing at the back of the grid at the British GP, when the best headline grabbing photos would have been for them to be at the front of the grid posing with Hamilton...

Anyone know if 19 have been dropped as the agency for Honda's 2008 season?

Ciro Pabón

ConsFW wrote:I have not seen any evidence supporting your assertions. Why do you think that David Richards' departure from Honda was due to him not adhering to some so-called "Honda Way?"

Do you happen to have a copy of "The Honda Way" that I could look at? I haven't been able to find that anywhere. Is it a little red book given to each Honda employee or something? Also, what exactly is a "typically japanese ways of working?" I'm not sure what you meant by that.
"The Honda Way is committed to the following statement: Our present and future success is solely dependent upon our ability to meet or exceed our customer`s highest expectations."

http://www.hondaway.com/

Sorry, sorry, I couldn't resist it... :lol:

Also in the Internets:

Case Study: The Honda Way

That sounds pretty "big corporation" to me, speaking seriously:
"This was new for Honda," says LaRue. "This was the first site that outsourced its facilities maintenance. It's kind of the grand experiment. One of the things that we learned beforehand and also after the fact was that it's very important to keep pushing these different groups together and keep the emphasis on teamwork. Teamwork can't be a buzzword or catchphrase. We have to really, truly be partners. We are partners to the extent that BE&K is integral to our operations on monthly reporting. When we get into the budgeting cycle of the year, they are working to develop budgets."
As you can imagine, the lazy latin part of my soul shivers at the sound of it... they're talking about the cleaning ladies and janitors, for heaven sake! :)
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 14 Nov 2007, 11:43, edited 2 times in total.
Ciro

meves
meves

It's still on their homepage so it I would imagine they're still contracted.

I was wondering if any of this (and this is one for the conspiracists amongst you) could have anything to do with the revelations that Nigel Stepney was threatening to make about Ferrari's past. Ferrari now have none of the major players that could incriminate them in any of these scandals on their books? And they are not even within racing any more except for Mr Brawn and so I guess could not be called to the FIA.

Anyway just a thought to keep all you keen conspiracy theorists out there going!

kimi
kimi

All the major players of ferrari have left except Rass Brawn.Hope he can make something out of that shitty Honda car. :lol:

Spencifer_Murphy

[quote="ConsFWI have not seen any evidence supporting your assertions. Why do you think that David Richards' departure from Honda was due to him not adhering to some so-called "Honda Way?" What makes you think Nick Fry is (or would like to be) going against the "Corporate Big Wigs?" You seem to suggest that Nick Fry is being held back by some oppressive corporate culture.

Do you happen to have a copy of "The Honda Way" that I could look at? I haven't been able to find that anywhere. Is it a little red book given to each Honda employee or something? Also, what exactly is a "typically japanese ways of working?" I'm not sure what you meant by that.[/quote]

Firstly I'm not suggesting that Nick Fry is being held back at all, nor am I suggesting that he is or would want to work against the corporate big wigs, quite the opposite in fact. I'm suggesting that he works in a way which is liked by the board members, i.e he does as he is told.

I never said there is a little red book called the Honda Way so lets not twist my words shall we? (However there IS a little red book given to all empolyees at Toyota Called the Toyota Way seeing as you like being pedantic)

I see quite a profound eveidence to support my claims that Honda and Toyota are working in a way that does not ally 100% to efficiant running of an F1 team - their success verges on none at all, despite budgets bigger than that od Renault. In fact compared to Renault their lack of success is catastrophic.

Also I'd appriciate not leaving stsements like "I wonder what you meant by that?" [regarding a Typical Japanese way of working] - it sounds as if your trying to suggest that I am applying a racial stereotype to a culture, and I don't appreciate that.

What I DID mean by that was, in Japan there is a method of working which is HUGELY successful (look at how the Japanese Car Industry almost took over the world in just 30-40years, in the 1990's Car makers in the USA & Italy were producing 14 and 6cars per empolyee per annum - in Japan this figure was 46. That's simply astonishing.) This method of working is summed up in the "Toyota Way" at Toyota. It is a corporate methodology which works great for big buisness, I was simply suggesting that it does not work well for an F1 team - a much smaller outfit.

So what does this have to do with Honda? Well, I personally see some similarities between Honda & Toyota, just as thy seem to be making progress, they slip back down again - look at Honda sacking Geoff Willis, and replacing him with a man with no F1 experience who later admits "I Need Help". My theory is that descisions at Honda & Toyota are made by a commitiee, so when David Richards & Geoff Willis (two expierienced and qualified F1 men) what to do things thier way and the commitiee votes against them, they are told "If you don't like our way of working, leave." The same could be said about Mike Gascoiyne's departure from Toyota.

Basically what I'm saying is that at Toyota I believe that F1 descisions are not being made by the F1 people, they are being made by the Board Members - the similarities that I personally see between the performance of Toyota and Honda suggests to me that this may also be the case at Honda.

Also the reason i think Dave Richards was sacked by not following this corporate methodology is purely because I see no other reason to suggest why he was fired. Your post about how Nick Fry lobbied for Richards departure could actually back up my claim in one way: It says in your post that Nick Fry tried to give the team a corportae image. My personal opinion is that it wasn't so much Fry doing this, but Honda, and Fry agrees with this way of working where as Richards did not. Hence the replacement of Richards with Fry.

Finally ConsFW, your post was well written, thought out and in general a great post, maybe I read into it wrongly, but it gave me the impression that because my own opninon (which I'm entitled to as much as your are to yours) differed from yours, you believe mine to be wrong, your post made me feel like you were trying to belittle me:
Do you happen to have a copy of "The Honda Way" that I could look at? I haven't been able to find that anywhere.
And also gave me the impression that you were sugesting me to be a racist or something:
Also, what exactly is a "typically japanese ways of working?" I'm not sure what you meant by that.
If that's not what you intended then I'm sorry, its my misunderstanding. If that is was you intended I'm appalled.

Carlos
Carlos

Spencer_Murphy - Honda's document 'What is F1?' from the Honda corporate archives will answer your basic questions. Actually it confirms your ideas. There is a series of articles on Honda's early F1 history, their history is the basis of their modern approach. There are about 5 articles, 36 pages, absolutely fasinating to anyone seriously interested in the subject.
http://world.honda.com/history/challeng ... index.html

I wrote a lengthy, detailed reply. unfortunately, no matter how you sign in, no matter how many boxes you check on sign in, many post replies are lost, an absolute understatement of my irritation with this forum.
Last edited by Carlos on 15 Nov 2007, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

PNSD
PNSD

Dave Richards had one purpose for Honda.

Fix BAR so Honda could take over.

So when Honda did take over, everything was in place ;)

And throughout 2003/2004 and 2005 BAR dispayed development equal to the top teams. so 2006 was all set for Honda, and it seemed they got it right, well more to the point, BAR got it right ;)!

Spencifer_Murphy

Ooo, thanks Carlos, I didn't know of any actual written document about a Honda methodology, it was just a theory of mine based upon the Toyota way etc. I'll have a good read of it now...

thanks again!