McLaren MP4-23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mikacouli
Mikacouli

Re: New McLaren MP4-23

It's no support. It's just an extra winglet... Giving extra down force in the corners I think.
all hopes on the MP4/24

johny

a closer one

NaZzO

thx !! been looking everywhere for a close-up
this clears all the confusion...
Interviewer: The most exciting moment during the race weekend?
Kimi: I think it's the race start, always.
Interviewer: The most boring?
Kimi: Now.

Metar

Which makes the rear crash structure a whole new danger in itself. I could slice my bread on those things! :shock:

Tom Castellani

I feel sorry for the sponsors whose logos can barely be seen... What are they even paying for?

The wing and winglets themselves look pretty cool. I was hoping for more of an aero update from McLaren to be honest though.
The road to success is 20,832 meters long...

miqi23
miqi23

That is for improving the Yawing Moment of the car.

Metar

Tom Castellani wrote:I feel sorry for the sponsors whose logos can barely be seen... What are they even paying for?
Schüco pays for 30 seconds of advertising on Germany's F1 broadcaster (Germany's the audience anyway) at the start of each tv-ad session, and 10 seconds at the end of each. And being RTL, ads come every 15 minutes. Being on the rear of a McLaren is the cheap part, I'd guess :p

That wing reminds me of Renault's classic rear wings, with those cut-off endplates. When did McLaren introduce those?

modbaraban
modbaraban

Metar wrote:That wing reminds me of Renault's classic rear wings, with those cut-off endplates. When did McLaren introduce those?
They showed up during the last tests I think.

As for the 'tail-horns'....

It's just an extra winglet... Giving extra down force in the corners I think.

That is for improving the Yawing Moment of the car.

...my version is: they straighten the airflow under the wing to increase the effect of suckng the air out of the diffuser.

RJC_pt
RJC_pt

...and futher disturb the airflow to a possible folloing car... :?: :lol:

modbaraban
modbaraban

RJC_pt wrote:...and futher disturb the airflow to a possible folloing car... :?: :lol:
I'd suggest a pair of fans for that =) ....oh wait a minute... they're banned already :o

checkered

miqi23 wrote:That is for improving the Yawing Moment of the car.
Well, it certainly

is making good use of the "volume" allowed for structures in that area in the regulations. Do you have a handle (~) on the magnitude of forces associated with that construction? I'm also wondering whether there's a comparison to be made between the "philosophies" of a small vertical shape such as that (placed at an extremity), and a large area one placed near the center, like the "shark fin" that RBR is sporting on their airbox.

miqi23
miqi23

Well the purpose is similar for both Redbull and Mclaren there. Redbull has pushed it a bit too much!

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Would anyone care to explain what the digital numbers signify ,and what the hole above the rev lights is for? Thanks in advance.

The image is from brazil '08.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Motley
Motley

Hole abouve the rev lights is the onboard camera...

ernos5

well the "eng" is obviously for "engine" and the 11.5 maybe has something to do with that, maybe it's fuel load :s

The "1" is for first gear, the 3 red lights mean he has the pit limiter on or something like that..

The black hole i recon is for TV camera, you know how sometimes they show the driver front on