Super Aguri : buyout / collapse

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
checkered

Re: Super Aguri - buyout?

There are indications

that Super Aguri will sport a new image/livery later this season already. They will also need some investment still to be able to become a true privateer constructor - I'm not quite clear on the current state of their facility, access to wind tunnels, processing power etc. Much of the financial muscle seems to originate from Dubai International Capital (I'd pronounce the abbreviation letter by letter, just in case ...).

Reports from Racer/SpeedTV and elsewhere have indicated Jost Capito and David Price taking over the active management from Aguri Suzuki and Daniele Audetto (I will actually miss them). Honda, after their own trials and errors, are likely to concentrate any and all efforts on themselves ASAP (especially as 2009 is such a breaking point in regulations) so it's interesting to see what engines the team will be running.

Either a new manufacturer will be stepping in, or else BMW or Mercedes have to consider a chance of expanding their F1 operations.

meves

I know this used to be in the concorde agreement but will they get fined if they miss the next GP?

roost89

meves wrote:I know this used to be in the concorde agreement but will they get fined if they miss the next GP?
I fear that it is. If it is, then it will just make the situation worse for Super Aguri. Strapped for cash and then fined...that makes no sense to me at all.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

GTO

Very bad news. I was really pulling for them to make some design improvemnts & move up. For the team's sake, I hope they had a back-out penalty for Magma, that will pay them some cash.

greenpower dude reloaded

I'm a huge Super Aguri fan, so to see this is frustrating to say the least.

Lets just hope Aguri San can squeeze something out of Honda over the next 48 hours

WhiteBlue

Enter the Germans…

Yesterday’s news of the planned takeover of the Super Aguri Formula One team by the British Magma group falling through came of little surprise after a month of delayed announcements of a finalized sale. Originally due to go through at the season opening Australian Grand Prix, the deal was put off to Malaysia, then Bahrain, then last week, before the final verdict was read…

“Super Aguri confirms that it has been informed by Magma Group, the potential purchasers of the team, that its investors no longer wish to fund the intended acquisition. It is with deep regret that Aguri Suzuki is now forced to consider the future of the team, however negotiations with other parties continue.”

While other media outlets may be rushing to produce headlines shouting disaster for F1’s tiniest team, we here at AM365.com know better.

As revealed in our exclusive spies report from Bahrain, Super Aguri will not be too worried, or surprised by this news as a German car supplier company is just waiting in line to take over with what is said to be a more serious financial plan than the one presented by Magna. The reason they didn’t go with this one first was simply because before an English based team ties up with a German partner they prefer to exhaust their British options.

Options exhausted, so now it is time to move on to the next offer

I have been thinking about that for some time. Most logical bet is Continental. They just made a huge aquisition of Siemens VDO (ex Mannesmann) with some very hot active suspension, drive and telemetrique technology. they are sponsoring soccer. makes a lot more sense to push brand awareness by F1 instead.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

checkered

WhiteBlue wrote:I have been thinking about that for some time. Most logical bet is Continental. They just made a huge aquisition of Siemens VDO (ex Mannesmann) with some very hot active suspension, drive and telemetrique technology. they are sponsoring soccer. makes a lot more sense to push brand awareness by F1 instead.
Interesting, and quite

a realistic prospect at that. I'll add the prospects of a 2nd BMW team, AMG (it has been said that had it not been for McLaren, they would've moved into F1 already) and of course the perpetually looming possibility of VW/Porsche showing interest (for all the conflicting reports over the last few years). If the suggestion has surfaced at AutoMoto365, the information could've come from one of Nicolas Todt's acquaintances - but there are too many of those to speculate any further.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

WhiteBlue

CEO on day one of VDO integration
With sales of more than €25 billion (based on 2006 figures) and approximately 140,000 employ­ees, Continental ranks among the top five globally in the automotive supplier industry. The acquisition of Siemens VDO Automotive AG represents the logical next step in Continental’s evolution as integrated systems supplier. The future product portfolio, with leading market positions worldwide, excellently covers what will clearly be the predominant trends in the upcoming years – safety, protection of the global climate and networked communication. The new Continental thus stands for intelligent and highly innovative mobility in the future and is now an even stronger partner to the automotive industry.

With annual sales of more than €25 billion (based on 2006 figures), the Continental Corporation is among the top five automotive suppliers worldwide. As a supplier of brake systems, systems and components for the powertrain and chassis, instrumentation, infotainment solutions, vehicle electronics, tires and technical elastomer products, the corporation contributes to enhanced road traffic safety and protection of the global climate. Continental is also a competent partner in networked automobile communication. The corporation currently employs approximately 150,000 people at nearly 200 locations in 36 countries.
looks like a serious automotive player which would benefit from using F1. they sell considerable volume to consumers. BMW would be a good fit
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

modbaraban

I know Continental isn't just tyre manufacturer, but still is this okay for them to use the product of their competitors? :roll:

WhiteBlue

I reckon they would make a bid at the next round of tyre supply. But their exposure owning a team could be much bigger than supplying the F1 tyres. look at the PR Bridgestone is getting. If you have team personal and drivers in the press every week thats gonna do you much more good. They could be in the race for KERS, HERS and for the next generation ECU as well.

bhall

Is it really that important for Takuma Sato to have a drive in F1? I mean, that's basically the only reason Super Aguri is on the grid.

Let 'em fold. With any luck, perhaps their spot could be filled by a financially solvent team with a mission to compete, not just to give a locally-popular driver a seat.

flynfrog

bhallg2k wrote:Is it really that important for Takuma Sato to have a drive in F1? I mean, that's basically the only reason Super Aguri is on the grid.

Let 'em fold. With any luck, perhaps their spot could be filled by a financially solvent team with a mission to compete, not just to give a locally-popular driver a seat.
my thoughts exactly

WhiteBlue

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/spor ... _13987.hbs

according to this source Nick Fry is now in the line of fire because he pushed for an exclusive Magma deal instead of an auction type buyout involving two American and one German investor.

ben_watkins

Super Aguri need help from mother team Honda in order to even appear at the Grand Prix next week :(

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=42332

Looks like the buyout will not be Porsche or VW...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66708

They say that the costs and the Max Mosely orgy make F1 unattractive to them...
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners