F1 Quiz Chain

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Simacher

Re: F1 Quiz Chain

Technically was it that cockpit space were tad too small for Chris Amon, or otherwise the chassis wasn't intended by original Techno team-side (what I remember is that Gordon Fowell was sent in by their sponsor Martini), thus provoking team's unsettlement?

xpensive

Which had given a goldstar, only had it came from matt21.

Please pay attention.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Simacher

Well, may I ask who is in turn to post the new question here now? :?:

xpensive

matt21 obviouly as he answered the original question correctly, "goldstar" is only rewarded to those who get it right.

But there's also the 48 hour rule, which allows anyone to post, which I will do now;

The Tecno 3.0 flat 12 was later converted into something else, what was that?

Richard

Probably a coffee table? That seems to be the fate of most race engines if you look at ebay.

xpensive

Naah, something a bit more functional esteemed moderator.

Lead; Chevron

-Felix-

It seems like it was built in a Lola chassis, but only from the picture I don't know where it raced, if at all..

xpensive

Interesting, but I'm not looking for the flat 12, it evolved into something else.

Richard

I can't find the answer, but here's a pic Image

And a bit of history ... http://www.lolaheritage.co.uk/scrapbook/017/017.htm

xpensive

Yes, that's the flat 12, but we are asking for something else here.

Moxie

Ferrari,who were running their own Flat 12, purchased the engine to prevent competitors the chance to develop it.

-Felix-

Ahhhh I think I got it...

Quote:
"This car started life as a Chevron B23, chassis B23-73-21, and was exported to Eris Tondelli of Turin, Italy who was the Italian Chevron Agent and Importer. It was fitted with a Tecno 2000cc flat 8 engine. Tondelli intended to enter the Chevron-Tecno in the ’74 European Sports Car Championship, but testing in late ‘73 the engine proved impossible to run cleanly. The 2 litre flat 8 Tecno engine was nothing more than the 3 litre flat 12 Formula 1 engine minus 4 cylinders, and indeed, anecdotal evidence suggests the unit fitted to the Chevron was said to have originally been a 3 litre unit that had been ventilated at one end. It’s perhaps no wonder that it proved to be utterly unreliable once fitted to the Chevron and it eventually blew-up. After more than a few visits to Tecno, Tondelli told them to keep the engine and return the car, which is just as well as the cholera virus was found on the premises which were then sealed by the Italian authorities and burnt to the ground."

matt21

Sorry, was out for a while. Good to see the quiz going on.

xpensive

And the money goes to Felix, good find!

Now hit us with your best shot.

Simacher

Sorry if this is off-topic, but some footnotes from me regarding Felix's Japanese article:

The article was most probably taken from Japanese Car Graphic magazine (image file name suggests), somewhere in late 1973, where the writer notes about Tetsu Ikuzawa acquired two of the said Tecno F8 engine and some spares and to be tuned by Ken Matsu'ura, later the one of most magnificent BMW and C'worth engine tuner in Japan, for the following year's Fuji GC series (a Japanese 2L sports car domestic race), looking forward to the combination of GRD S74 chassis mounted with the engine. The article also states that the sub-frame was entirely re-designed so it can loaded with wide F8 engine, and also can be converted altogether to bear BMW inline-4 instead, in case of the engine not running up to expected performance level (which happened very soon).

Later this engine was returned to Tecno as this website suggests, while the chassis itself kept racing in Japan and should be lying somewhere in Japan so far: http://www010.upp.so-net.ne.jp/homebrew ... eg-all.htm