F1 Quiz Chain

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Re: F1 Quiz Chain

Perhaps I misunderstood the question, but to answer who had or didn't have a computer in the pits 40 years ago is impossible to say, if the Fittipaldi team was one of the first is also quite uninteresting.

As for in-car data logging however, I find it more than likely that Tyrrell was the first, this is courtesy of Sombrero;

Karl Kempf and Jonathan Greaves work on Ronnie Peterson’s 6 wheel P34 Tyrrell in 1977. The aluminium box contains the first data logging system in F1.

Karl Kempf and Derek Gardner analise the data in the back of the transporter.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.

even if it is quite uninteresting ...
it is Ricardo Divilas claim they were the first to have some IBM machine in the back of the pit garage when their Brazilian Adventure took off ...sure he could be senile or something ..
so it is your turn sim..

xpensive

In all honesty marcush, I find it highly unlikely that a peanut brazilian team should have been the first with a computer in the pits?

Sombrero

I found this pdf at Team DAN : The FD0”X” Fittipaldi Years - Innovation despite the results
by Darren Galpin

http://www.teamdan.com/archive/2003/fittipaldi.pdf

I don't remember the computer story that's mentionned in the .pdf

Simacher

Fittipaldi was indeed peanut team, but given the national team treatment for the team (eg having access to Brazilian equivalence of MIT) it won't be that unlikely for them to have advanced electronics IMO. They might came up with plenty of back ups and resources, just didn't have the methodology to utilise them (something like caterham these days?).

I'll take my turn here: Tyrrell was running without any title sponsorship after Data General left in 1988. Eventually they struck a deal with Braun in 1991, but they actually came close to secure a title sponsor deal in 1990. What was the intended title sponsor they were dealing in 1990, which eventually fell apart?

xpensive

A wild guess would be British American Tobacco, Lucky Strike or 555?

hollus

Sombrero wrote:http://images.alphacoders.com/270/270731.jpg

I found this pdf at Team DAN : The FD0”X” Fittipaldi Years - Innovation despite the results
by Darren Galpin

http://www.teamdan.com/archive/2003/fittipaldi.pdf

I don't remember the computer story that's mentionned in the .pdf
Page five in http://porschecarshistory.com/wp-conten ... 013-06.pdf
Ricardo Divila wrote: My first F1 car was partly designed on a computer, a HP-9825, with a mammoth 24kb of RAM, with the 12kb expansion pack, a 16 character LED readout, and the programs were stored on several cassettes, ‘chained’ for running. On it I could calculate a 3D geometry program in roughly nine minutes. I had to write my own programmes, as it didn’t come with any, and there were no programmes to be bought. With its accompanying daisy wheel printer and A4-sized mechanical plotter it cost £23,000, or roughly the price of a new, fully equipped Mercedes Benz SLC roadster.
Rivals, not enemies.

marcush.

sombrero, many thanks for that nice link ..

-Felix-

Well, hours of researching again seems to pay off. Found a statement by Nigel Beresford here:
http://forums.autosport.com/topic/17197 ... -020-1991/
(the whole thread is worth a read!)

on post #30:
Consequently the team simply never had the funding to achieve whatever sporting ambitions Ken might have had. Basically the commercial side of the team was too ineptly run to attract a tobacco title sponsor (as opposed to the relatively minor Camel engine cover deal). Unknown fact - an 018 was painted in Rothmans colours as part of a pitch to them, and it looked absolutely fabulous. Of course, they ultimately took their money to Williams (as you would expect).

So I would say, Rothmans is the brand we are searching for!

Simacher

Well, I have to say Felix got the answer as the never-seen sponsor was Rothmans indeed! I found a source about this in a Japanese magazine some months ago along with illustrated Rothmans livery of 019. Another rumor around Tyrrell of this time was that Braun was pretty convinced that they're going to sponsor McLaren instead of Tyrrell right until the moment of 020 unveiled, as McLaren was doing marketing stuffs for Tyrrell.

This is the article I've mentioned, the text itself is by Alberto Antonini but I'm not quite sure whether this have been revealed in English sources. The illustrated Rothmans-Tyrrell is just a reference of a story that might happened, I don't have the source of what the actual colouring was like. The rough translation of what article says:
[One of the most interesting side stories regarding Tyrrell 019 might be the one with its colouring. The Blue-on-white livery on Tyrrell in 1990 was almost as striking as its high-lifted nose cone, being elegant and also sporty at the same time.
However, this livery was designed for a title sponsorship that eventually never became real. Jean Claude Migeot knows the whole story: ''There's only few in the team know this, including me, that the initial colouring design consisted of a Rothmans logo on the blue portion. We were going to get Rothmans as title sponsor in 1990. Sadly the deal eventually fell apart, which was not a rare case in Tyrrell at the time: We even had the document prepared, but nothing do happen at the end of the day."
Rothmans logo was never seen on Tyrrell's Grand Prix cars (four years later Rothmans brought their budgets into Williams team), but Migeot went on with the original colour scheme anyway. "The main reason was that I loathed the classic Tyrrell dark blue, for it being very monotonous and uninteresting. I always looked for something new even in term of colourings, and with that livery the car looked so smart and elegant, so we went on and stuck with the plan."]

So it's your turn Felix...
Last edited by Simacher on 21 Sep 2014, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

-Felix-

In the 90's there was a british team who changed their title sponsor from one big tobacco company to another one, changing the look of the cars completely from white/fluo red to black/silver. But this british team wasn't the first team to be sponsored by the new tobacco company, there already has been another team. In that team there was a driver, who just in 2013 accomplished something no other racing driver ever has.

What is the record this driver is holding?

xpensive

The British team changing sponsors is McLaren, sponsor is West, the original team Zakspeed, driver is probably Martin Brundle.

What Brundle accomplished in 2013 is unclear, perhaps releasing a book on his life; "The Martin Brundle scrapbook"?

matt21

Maybe Schneider with his wins in several 24-hour-races.

xpensive

In 2013 Berndt Schneider made a comeback and won a range of DTM endurance races, Le Mans among them, in a Mercedes SLS AMG, but what sort of record it meant is beyond me.

Simacher

If the driver is Bernd Schneider then he won 24hrs of Nurburgring in June and 24hrs of Spa in September, both in 2013 and I guess there was no other driver won the two classic race in same year? DTM is a sprint race series and not an endurance race...