F1 Quiz Chain

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard

Re: F1 Quiz Chain

matt21 wrote:
Simacher wrote:An Ecurie Francorchamps Ferrari from Belgium, race in early 50s with yellow paintjob...
You right, my picture shows just that car.
That image doesn't appear on my browser. Here's a different one of the same car:

matt21

One to answer, if possible, without Google:

Who has the shortest racing history in F1?

xpensive

A one race driver I guess, Philippe Adams perhaps?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

-Felix-

The most recent that comes to my mind would be André Lotterer with just 1 lap? :D

Simacher

Not sure if this is correct but Marco Apicella ended his race punted out in the very first corner of his opening lap in 1993, I suppose Monza was that? He's quite famous in Japan with his long time Japanese F3000/GT involvement. If the answer includes those who not actually making it to grid then I have no idea...

xpensive

Poor Gary Brabham, who drove for Life racing in 1990 with two "DNPQ"?

Not one lap raced, not even in qualification, that is pretty hard to beat.

30 seconds behind second slowest car at Phoenix, 4 laps, and not one lap in brazil.

-Felix-

It depends on how the question was intended? Because "Racing history" means he must have at least participated in a race, so therefore at least qualified once? There are many who didn't even qualify..

Simacher

Gary at least had two occasions actually put him in the car and ran for a summed-up distance of, say, eight hundred metres covered in two or three weeks I guess? :wink:

xpensive

Simacher wrote:Gary at least had two occasions actually put him in the car and ran for a summed-up distance of, say, eight hundred metres covered in two or three weeks I guess? :wink:
Then, in Brazil, it was Brabham's turn to fail to record a proper time in pre-qualifying. In fact, the Life failed to record any time at all, the engine blowing miserably on the out-lap after only 400 metres.

xpensive

Simacher wrote:Not sure if this is correct but Marco Apicella ended his race punted out in the very first corner of his opening lap in 1993, I suppose Monza was that? He's quite famous in Japan with his long time Japanese F3000/GT involvement. If the answer includes those who not actually making it to grid then I have no idea...
In fact, Apicella holds the dubious distinction of being the driver with the shortest career in F1 in terms of race distance covered. The blast down to the first chicane at Monza was all she wrote for Marco's F1 career, and many would say that this was not what Apicella's talent and record in lower categories deserved.

matt21

Re: AW: F1 Quiz Chain

Simacher wrote:Not sure if this is correct but Marco Apicella ended his race punted out in the very first corner of his opening lap in 1993, I suppose Monza was that? He's quite famous in Japan with his long time Japanese F3000/GT involvement. If the answer includes those who not actually making it to grid then I have no idea...
Thats it. I ment actually a driver who made it onto the grid.

Moxie

Re: AW: F1 Quiz Chain

matt21 wrote:
Thats it. I ment actually a driver who made it onto the grid.
Hold on a second. I admit I had to resort to google to remind me of the details, and to confirm the facts, so I forfeit the benefit of asking a question. However it should be stated that Elmer George ran into the back of Eddie Russo on that parade lap of the 1957 Indy 500. Indy at that time counted towards the F1 World Championship. While it was not his only Indy car start, it was his only start during the F1 era. Of course the hair splitting rests its the fact that he "made the grid" by qualifying ninth, but never made it to the start of the first lap.

xpensive

As Simacher is not responding, I will call on the 48h rule and drop this;

Who was the last driver to compete in Formula 1 with an open helmet? Driver, car and year please.

Simacher

Ah i remember this. Finnish Leo Kinnunen in 1974 (not sure is the spell correct?), in a private Surtees. Read about this in F1 Rejects IIRC.

Blanchimont

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear!
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)