F1 Quiz Chain

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Aesto

Re: F1 Quiz Chain

Alright, next question:

How many GP2 drivers have made it to F1?

My making it to F1 I mean, driven in at least one race. People who drove in F1, went back to GP2 and then to F1 again count.

xwz
xwz

Rosberg, Kovalainen, Speed, Hamilton, Piquet, Glock, di Grassi, Senna, Hülkenberg, Petrow, Maldonado, Buemi, Chandhock, Ericsson, Nakajima, Kobayashi, Grosjean - so at least seventeen

edit: and counting - of course Perez, Gutierrez, Bianchi, Pic, Chilton as well, and Yamamoto, d'Ambrosio, van der Garde - 25? - Valsecchi, Razia, Calado partcipated in free trainings but not in a race.

Aesto

Yep. 25 out of 137 people who have driven in GP2 since 2005. So less than one in five get through. They do however make up a majority of the 40 drivers who have gotten to F1 since 2006.

xwz
xwz

Aesto wrote:So less than one in five get through.
On the other hand, nearly all of the drivers succeeding in GP2 between 2005 and 2012, in terms of finishing a season among the top three, went on to F1.

New question - Which component prominently used in F1 was once chosen for a space mission?

-

matt21

xwz wrote:
Aesto wrote:So less than one in five get through.
On the other hand, nearly all of the drivers succeeding in GP2 between 2005 and 2012, in terms of finishing a season among the top three, went on to F1.

New question - Which component prominently used in F1 was once chosen for a space mission?

-
Rocket fuel?

xwz
xwz

nope (it's about a particular mission)

Richard

You might want to rephrase the question, otherwise it's going to be a long list, starting with ball point pens (NASA), pencils (USSR) & ice cream (Kimi)

Do you mean something in F1 that was then used in space? As opposed to things that happen to be used in both space and F1?

Blanchimont

Richard, i think you unintentionally used the answer to the question in your last post. And if i'm right, then the answer is also part of the original question?!
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

xwz
xwz

Richard, you have a point, though i wouldn't consider ball point pens or pencils prominent in f1 - To be more specific:
  • a - used on an f1 racecar in a prominent way
    b - as such chosen for a particular space mission

Blanchimont

So, my guess would be: Every F1 car uses a F1 engine. The Apollo mission with the Saturn V simply bought five of these F1 engines and bolted them to the bottom of the rocket. There are some clever guys at NASA!
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Richard

I guess wings aren't the answer either?

The problem is that F1 invents very very little, I can't imagine any tech transfer from F1 to space. Examples are simulators, flow viz paint, CFD, safety cells, HANS, carbon fibre, tyres, ICE, turbo, computer, fire proof overalls, helmets - they all came to F1 from other sports or industries.

xwz
xwz

Blanchimont, one problem with google is that it overrates terminology .-)

Richard, i agree with you - it has nothing to do with the items you mentioned (one of them does come close, though)

Aesto

Heat shield material? Some of the stuff used to protect the space shuttle at reentry is definitely also used in F1. I could imagine that it might be particularly useful in the exhaust area, perhaps specifically during the EBD days?

Edit:
...and Google agrees: http://www.infoniac.com/hi-tech/formula ... world.html
The exhaust pipe of a Formula 1 car is made from a lightweight material able to resist the heat produced by the engine. While creating the Mars Lander engineers used the same lightweight material, which is perfect for protecting the spacecraft as it screams through the atmosphere of the red planet from space.
Although there is actually one more thing:
In 2006 NASA launched its Hinode satellite with the goal of gathering important information regarding the way the activity of the Sun influences our planet. The technology used in the satellite was also developed by F1 engineers, who provided their help in developing a 3-metre-long telescope. They were able to make the telescope lighter and worked on the development of a housing which was strong enough to protect fragile tools from the shock of blast off.
Did you, by chance, mean either one of those things?

xwz
xwz

Aesto, specific finds, but - "developed by f1 ingeneers" was not in question; and about the heat shield material: no evidence that it was used in f1 first. I also wouldn't call it "prominently" used -
In this case, "prominent" means: you would have been able to notice by looking at the car - even during race, watching from grandstand #1 .-)

Simacher

First thing bounced to my mind was dry-air filled rubber tyre (instead of normal air nor nitrogen), which probably used in Space Shuttle-ish things though I'm not so clear bout that? "Able to notice by looking at the car" essentially leave tyres, wings and probably engines (for those 70s cars) within consideration. Or does the onboard video camera counts?