Next FIA president? Next FOM CEO?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Next FIA president? Next FOM CEO?

Todt officially throws his hat into the ring

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76998

"It is my intention to continue and expand the outstanding work of President Mosley, who for 16 years has worked tirelessly to strengthen the FIA's major motorsport championships and to position the FIA as the voice of the motoring public, actively promoting safe, clean and affordable mobility for all.

He also laid out plans to reduce costs in all forms of motorsport and motoring, promote innovation, and ensure the FIA works better together in the future.

The FOZ

freedom_honda wrote:I really hope Jean doesn't become the next FIA president. or FIA will turn into Ferrari International Assistance again.
Y'know, Mosley has been president since 1993...so...your statement is ridiculous.

James_graham

I'm really not sure of Jean coming in as I think it will be too easy for people to find a link with ferrari, and possibly use this as an excuse, even if a link is not there!

I think he will have to improve the sports in many ways to get himself away from this view. It would only take a theory (ferrari link) with a little bit of credibility to strip him of credability wih the public.

Richard

Maybe I've got this wrong, but isn't the FIA about much more than just F1? I'd have thought the ideal president is someone with a strong background in wider motorsports, whilst also being able to relate to the high octane toys-out-of-the-pram F1 guys.

In my mind that need someone with good arbitration, conciliation and collaborative skills. Someone who prefers oil on the hands and testing the limit of their tyre adhesion, not someone who sees it a political game.

jddh1

WhiteBlue

There seems to be little noise on the streets about the FIA presidential campaign. It looks like a choice between a rock and a hard place. Todt is not quite the right person to overcome partisan views. And Vartanen is so much obviously a puppet of FOTA that I would not give him my voice either. It looks like both candidates are not ideal. So we will have to wait and see in the end who goes through.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive

When you rather bluntly label Ari Vatanen a "FOTA-puppet" WB, I would be intrigued to read your elaboration on that?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

modbaraban

xpensive wrote:When you rather bluntly label Ari Vatanen a "FOTA-puppet" WB, I would be intrigued to read your elaboration on that?
Simple. Anyone who's not supported by Max Mosley is automatically a FOTA puppet.

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:When you rather bluntly label Ari Vatanen a "FOTA-puppet" WB, I would be intrigued to read your elaboration on that?
Well spotted Xpensive. I was a bit unprecise in my wording. It is more a personal impression that Mr. Vatanen is treading the FOTA line than a fact. I apologise to anybody who feels insulted by my wording. There is little point to edit my original post but I regret that I have put it that way.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive

Someone requested more on this on another thread, can't remember who and which, but here it is. Tragic really.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=39313

WhiteBlue

If you ask me, the named envelope thing really is a non issue. The Vatanen camp is milking this to death. All parties have agreed that this will be a secret ballot. Not even Vatanen himself makes a claim that the secrecy is violated.

Someone has to explain to me why it is relevant if the voting paper comes in an envelope with a name on it. The real question is wether the paper with the finished vote is marked with a name or has to be put in an envelope with a name on it. That would be a breach of secrecy. But that has never been reported. The whole thing is just a red herring IMO.

If I go by Balfe's site Mr. Mosley is on the same moral level as mass murderers and must be suspected to barbecue little children for dinner.

xpensive

Democratic rules could indeed be difficult to grasp for people with different background and traditions,
but if I was asked to put my name on the envelope when I cast my vote?

I won't bother to answer that one.

ISLAMATRON

All of this is absurd, the delegates represent the people in the respective automobile clubs... would you not like to know who your delegate voted for?

They dont have secret ballots in congress... and they never should.

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:Democratic rules could indeed be difficult to grasp for people with different background and traditions,

Would you please stop your malicious insinuations and get your facts right. There is no report of people being asked to put their names on an envelope with a vote!!! You are making that up to create an impression of a scandal that isn't there. IMO you are using language in a dishonest way to make someone look bad.

db__

WhiteBlue wrote:
xpensive wrote:Democratic rules could indeed be difficult to grasp for people with different background and traditions,

Would you please stop your malicious insinuations and get your facts right. There is no report of people being asked to put their names on an envelope with a vote!!! You are making that up to create an impression of a scandal that isn't there. IMO you are using language in a dishonest way to make someone look bad.
If the ballot papers are numbered then it does matter whether or not there are 'named' envelopes. It all depends on whether it is noted who has received which ballot paper and who has access to that information.

You may be interested to note that in fact many 'secret ballots' are not as secret as you may think. In UK public elections the number of the ballot paper you receive is (or certainly was) marked on the register when you are handed the ballot. Technically, therefore, it would be possible to match up the ballot papers to names at a later date. Obviously with thousands voting this isn't really possible. Of course with only 210 ballot papers.....