Mercedes-Benz Works Team (Factory Team(?))

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Possible Mercedes Factory team ?

Possible
38%
Impossible
62%

Total votes: 13

donskar

Re: Mercedes-Benz Works Team (Factory Team(?))

WhiteBlue wrote:
I think the whole thinking is flawed. The strategy agreed between the car makers and the FIA is dead set against allowing further performance developments in engines and aero. both fields are supposed to be frozen. no more power, no more downforce! full stop.

engines and aero are supposed to compete on an efficiency basis and the main force of development is supposed to be regenerative energy and low drag aero. I do not see an alternative to that strategy and the sooner people realise it the better. in the future F1 cars will win races if they have higher efficiency squeezing power from where other cars loose energy. to deploy this strategy other sources of advantage have to be blocked. it sounds a bit harsh but thats what we are going to see.
That's a dark view, but I do not wholly disagree with your interpretation. More to the point, that's not a bad reason for M-B and others to NOT want a team in F1. Here in the US, M-B in particular are pushing their AMG models, trumpeting their HP - not efficiency or aero or environmental awareness - just brute HP. That sure does not fit the F1 described above.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Conceptual

donskar wrote:WhiteBlue wrote:
I think the whole thinking is flawed. The strategy agreed between the car makers and the FIA is dead set against allowing further performance developments in engines and aero. both fields are supposed to be frozen. no more power, no more downforce! full stop.

engines and aero are supposed to compete on an efficiency basis and the main force of development is supposed to be regenerative energy and low drag aero. I do not see an alternative to that strategy and the sooner people realise it the better. in the future F1 cars will win races if they have higher efficiency squeezing power from where other cars loose energy. to deploy this strategy other sources of advantage have to be blocked. it sounds a bit harsh but thats what we are going to see.

That's a dark view, but I do not wholly disagree with your interpretation. More to the point, that's not a bad reason for M-B and others to NOT want a team in F1. Here in the US, M-B in particular are pushing their AMG models, trumpeting their HP - not efficiency or aero or environmental awareness - just brute HP. That sure does not fit the F1 described above.
I can guarantee that the moment that the last OPEC nation changes from accepting USD to the Euro that gasoline in the US is going to be well over $20/gal.

I'm sure that you can understand what will happen to AMG's brute HP marketing campaign... "And look! When you flip this switch, it cuts down to just 4 cylinders!"

Chris

megz

Then when you're sitting in you McLaren Mercedes SLR you can go, SmartCar, SLR, SmartCar, SLR, SmartCar, SLR as you flick the switch :lol:
conceptual
'I'm sure that you can understand what will happen to AMG's brute HP marketing campaign... "And look! When you flip this switch, it cuts down to just 4 cylinders!"'

Conceptual

megz wrote:Then when you're sitting in you McLaren Mercedes SLR you can go, SmartCar, SLR, SmartCar, SLR, SmartCar, SLR as you flick the switch :lol:
conceptual
'I'm sure that you can understand what will happen to AMG's brute HP marketing campaign... "And look! When you flip this switch, it cuts down to just 4 cylinders!"'
For the record, I am utterly infatuated with the smart car. Actually, a friend of mine who owns an aftermarket performance company is looking into doing a remote turbo conversion at this very moment. He emailed me yesterday to update me on the progress, and it seems that the ECU programming is rather difficult.

Too bad. Because that car with a 5 speed semi-automatic and 125HP coupled with some wider tyres looks like it would be an utter BLAST to drive!

Chris