2008 Barcelona Testing - June

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Scotracer

Re: Barcelona Testing - June

donskar wrote:Scotracer, I'm with you: modern F1 cars get more ugly and look less like cars every year. I'd much rather see VERY rigid regulations governing aero/body dimensions and a loosening of the engine development rules.

Am I the only one who is utterly repulsed by the mating of "racing" and "thou shalt not make more power"? How can we have the "pinnacle of auto racing" and an engine freeze?
No, my signature shows my disgust. 2006 was the last year of Formula 1 in my opinion...it is now just GP2 with a bit extra power. But there's little we can do than just grin and bear this. Hopefully in a few years it will become the pinnacle again.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Conceptual

I, for one, think that these appendages are the physical manifestations of human brilliance. Every time someone introduces a new bit, I immediately think to myself "I would like to meet the person that thought of that!" Discussions with those type of people would be a huge interest to me. All of that wisdom to learn... Very impressive.

I agree with the oxy moron of restricted racing, but as has been posted numerous times, there are reasons, and we as the fans on the outside are not in an informed enough position to even comprehend the reasons why. Regardless of the millions of different views on what F1 should be, there is a common belief amongst all fans, and that is the potential of F1.

Winglets, KERS, Aero, motive power and logistics. All areas of potential that F1 pushes to the bleeding edge.

I, for one, am constantly and utterly amazed at the evolutions that the cars undergo, whatever route the designers take. If all of those winglets disappear, the brilliance will fade, as will the performance that the fans currently enjoy.

Be very careful what you wish for, because it was someone elses wish for it to be in its current configuration, and look how well that is working...

Chris

Conceptual

OH!

And Piquet top of the sheets with the fasted lap during the entire test!!!

Possible Alonso podium in France?

Chris

donskar

Conceptual, I completely agree that
these appendages are the physical manifestations of human brilliance.
I just can't agree with other areas of human brilliance being so severely restricted.

Great to see Piquet doing some fast laps. I hope this test session has given him both the laps he needs to feel comfortable AND some confidence in his ability to make that car go fast.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

megz

In response to Piquet's time: I smell fumes :lol:

Conceptual

donskar wrote:Conceptual, I completely agree that
these appendages are the physical manifestations of human brilliance.
I just can't agree with other areas of human brilliance being so severely restricted.

Great to see Piquet doing some fast laps. I hope this test session has given him both the laps he needs to feel comfortable AND some confidence in his ability to make that car go fast.

Ya, well, my momma always told me, half of a loaf of bread is better than no loaf at all.

The brilliance was balanced between aero/engine, but with the freeze, it is now all aero.

That doesn't remove any of the respect that the aero people deserve, however, and your post rather sounds as if you don't believe that these people deserve any respect for what they do.

Sad.

Chris