Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Post Tue May 29, 2012 4:05 pm

beelsebob wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:Sorry if it's the wrong topic, but what are the technical rules for a driver's helmet? I mean shape-wise.
Would for example mini-winglets on the helmet be allowed?

I would imagine realistically it's pretty limited, you wouldn't want to strap a big wing to the drivers helmet, you'll break his neck!

There are differing helmet designs which are obviously designed with some aero efficiency in mind, but the emphasis will be on reducing drag, not producing downforce.
"Unbelievable how silly this Formula 1 is these days, with this stupid overtakes."
—Sebastian Vettel, 2012 US GP
Diesel

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:51 am

I'm really not sure if i'm right in this thread but:
scarbs wrote:http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/2012-technical-regulations-published/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

9.8.2 At the race start and at pit stops, first gear must be used until the car is travelling 100kmh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkS5cMAVn4I" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
watch here at 42sec. Massa shifts in 2nd gear below 100 kph
or here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJsqex_hSlY
he is to fast or he shifts up before 100kph.
McMrocks

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:53 am

McMrocks wrote:I'm really not sure if i'm right in this thread but:
scarbs wrote:http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/2012-technical-regulations-published/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

9.8.2 At the race start and at pit stops, first gear must be used until the car is travelling 100kmh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkS5cMAVn4I" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
watch here at 42sec. Massa shifts in 2nd gear below 100 kph
or here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJsqex_hSlY
he is to fast or he shifts up before 100kph.

That could go a long way to explaining Ferrari's rocket like starts compared to everyone else.
beelsebob

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:38 am

You can't trust the on-screen telemetry. It's only an approximation.

For instance, in the Malaysia video, the on-screen telemetry indicates Massa's engine is at just over 14,000 RPM prior to the start, while the display on his steering wheel clearly reads 13.3.

Moreover, this is exactly the sort of thing the SECU was implemented to police.
bhall

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:45 am

bhallg2k wrote:You can't trust the on-screen telemetry. It's only an approximation.

For instance, in the Malaysia video, the on-screen telemetry indicates Massa's engine is at just over 14,000 RPM prior to the start, while the display on his steering wheel clearly reads 13.3.

Moreover, this is exactly the sort of thing the SECU was implemented to police.

If he was over 100km/h in the pit lane he was breaking the pit lane speed limit, if he wasn't he was breaking the 1st gear rule.
beelsebob

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:18 am

How do you figure? Drivers are allowed to reach 100 km/hr within the pit lane, and once at that speed, the driver can use whichever gear suits his fancy.

And look:
(Click to enlarge)

Massa's at a dead stop, but the on-screen telemetry thinks he still in motion.

Those graphics are for entertainment purposes only. You can't really learn anything from them because they represent an approximation rather than a reflection of reality.

EDIT:
(Click to enlarge)
Last edited by bhall on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bhall

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:47 am

bhallg2k wrote:How do you figure? Drivers are allowed to reach 100 km/hr within the pit lane, and once at that speed, the driver can use whichever gear suits his fancy.

And look:

Those graphics are for entertainment purposes only. You can't really learn anything from them because they represent an approximation rather than a reflection of reality.

I actually just went and checked the rules to verify whether this is in fact possible, scarbs' quote is either a paraphrasing or an early version of the rule, the current rule allows you to hit second as long as you're within 10km/h of the pit lane speed limit.
beelsebob

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:55 am

That's a bit of a relief. It's not at all uncommon for me "know" something beyond any reasonable doubt only to find that I've missed something very obvious that I should have caught.

In other words, I'd be a terrible juror.
bhall

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:34 pm

Just had a read through the 2014 regulations, and from what I can see I think it bans the extra winglets on the front wing, unless my interpretation is wrong,

what do you think? :)
Budding F1 Engineer
N12ck

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:56 pm

bhallg2k wrote:How do you figure? Drivers are allowed to reach 100 km/hr within the pit lane, and once at that speed, the driver can use whichever gear suits his fancy.

And look:
(Click to enlarge)

Nice manupulation to suit ur needs mate, u can clearly see in this pic the front jack man is on the process of putting the jack.....which mean Massa is about to stop and in the process of deceleration ...why dont you post the next frame?

EDIT:
(Click to enlarge)

That is not speed it is displaying
its some other parameter (Could be rpm as they are goin to start the race)
they can diplay all sorts of thing there from a press of a button
siskue2005

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:08 am

I'd reckon that could clearly be some temperature reading.
Come back 747, we miss you!!
Caito

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:49 am

siskue2005 wrote:Nice manupulation to suit ur needs mate, u can clearly see in this pic the front jack man is on the process of putting the jack.....which mean Massa is about to stop and in the process of deceleration ...why dont you post the next frame?

Man, this was months ago, and it's been culled from another thread. Do you even know what this conversation was about?

But, since you brought it up, look at the yellow marks on the tarmac. The car is stopped on the target marks.
siskue2005 wrote:That is not speed it is displaying
its some other parameter (Could be rpm as they are goin to start the race)
they can diplay all sorts of thing there from a press of a button

I know. It's RPM. The wheel reads 13.2 (maybe 13.7); the on-screen graphic indicates just over 14,000.

If someone ever invents a time machine, I hope we put it to better use than this.

EDIT: Why are those posts dated June 3rd when the conversation took place just after the Malaysian Grand Prix?
bhall

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:35 pm

can anyone clear up the front wing regs for 2014 it seems to suggest no extra winglets, can you have a look please, its in article 3.7.5 predominantley
Budding F1 Engineer
N12ck

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:31 pm

N12ck wrote:can anyone clear up the front wing regs for 2014 it seems to suggest no extra winglets, can you have a look please, its in article 3.7.5 predominantley

I don't see a reason, why it should forbid the teams of adding winglets but it certainly reduces the amount of winglets which could be added to the front wing.
"Failure is not falling down, it is not getting up again."

"Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: Fear of long words."
Plutus

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Plutus wrote:
N12ck wrote:can anyone clear up the front wing regs for 2014 it seems to suggest no extra winglets, can you have a look please, its in article 3.7.5 predominantley

I don't see a reason, why it should forbid the teams of adding winglets but it certainly reduces the amount of winglets which could be added to the front wing.

I have checked it out, Winglets are allowed, but not as many as currently
Budding F1 Engineer
N12ck

PreviousNext

Return to General chat