Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Holm86

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

KeiKo403 wrote:Not sure if this can be done or if it will even be legal but will teams be able to develop wheels to draw air through them from outside to inside and blow the air into the gap between the inside of the rear wheels and the edge of the floor....like sealing the diffuser? :?:

Couldn't see any other thread to ask this in.
That is considered movable aero and is illegal.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Speaking of movable aero, I see some bleak news on Autosport today. I've trimmed their article down to just Whiting quotes. The last three sentences are what kill me the most :cry: I don't disagree with the principal of DRS, but the way the rule is written / zones are chosen right now make it no good.
Charlie Whiting wrote:"I'm a great fan of [DRS]" said Whiting while giving the annual Watkins Lecture run by the Motorsport Safety Fund at AUTOSPORT International.

"I know some people are opposed to it and really think it is not pure enough. I completely disagree with that view.

"It still requires extreme skill from the driver. It is not as if it's turn on, overtake, go, done."

"Sometimes it does appear like that [too easy] but Spa is an example of how if you come through Eau Rouge a bit quicker than the car in front and deploy DRS it's dead simple.

"But it's only because of the exit speed of the car. If the cars are at an equal speed, a driver will have to be within 0.3s of the car in front which is no mean feat in itself.

"But if they are at the same speed at the beginning of the DRS zone, they will be alongside at the braking point. That's the whole theory of the DRS.

"You have to pre-suppose that the cars are at the same speed but you have no idea what speed they are going to do that.

"If you understand the reasoning about it and what is required to actually overtake, it still takes a great deal from the driver."

"We feel it should be allowed only on certain parts of the track," said Whiting when asked if it was possible the DRS could be changed to be used for a set amount of time in a race, as in Formula Renault 3.5.

"Before last year, drivers could use it at any time they wish in practice and qualifying and that led to a couple of incidents where drivers used it too early so for last year we only allowed them to use it in practice here they can use it in the race.

"We think it is important only to be used in certain areas, not for a maximum amount of time."

beelsebob
beelsebob

BanMeToo wrote:Speaking of movable aero, I see some bleak news on Autosport today. I've trimmed their article down to just Whiting quotes. The last three sentences are what kill me the most :cry: I don't disagree with the principal of DRS, but the way the rule is written / zones are chosen right now make it no good.
Doesn't sound like bleak news to me, sounds like a well reasoned position to take.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

I don't follow. What part of F1's DRS rules are more reasonable than the FR3.5 implementation?

beelsebob
beelsebob

BanMeToo wrote:I don't follow. What part of F1's DRS rules are more reasonable than the FR3.5 implementation?
Read the reasoning above to find out.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

"Drivers used it too early." How compelling. Maybe they should carry baby formula in the cars rather than water.

Sevach
Sevach

I'm curious to see what track battles will look like with the new rules, on one hand we have cars with less drag (smaller RW included) which should reduce the DRS delta.
On the other side we have the fact that (Monza aside perhaps) we won't see cars being rev limited anymore.

These things plus fuel economy, how to manage the 33s of ERS power... i wonder how easy or how difficult overtaking will be...

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Sevach wrote:I'm curious to see what track battles will look like with the new rules, on one hand we have cars with less drag (smaller RW included) which should reduce the DRS delta.
On the other side we have the fact that (Monza aside perhaps) we won't see cars being rev limited anymore.

These things plus fuel economy, how to manage the 33s of ERS power... i wonder how easy or how difficult overtaking will be...
The DRS opens up more now, so i think it will be at least as powerfull as now.

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Ogami musashi wrote:
Sevach wrote:I'm curious to see what track battles will look like with the new rules, on one hand we have cars with less drag (smaller RW included) which should reduce the DRS delta.

The DRS opens up more for 2014, so i think it will be at least as powerfull as now.

Sevach
Sevach

So much for hope...

CBeck113
CBeck113

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 12312.html

Interesting new changes planned for both 2014 and 2015:
2014:
* minimum weight 691kg (+1kg)
* no stopping on the way to the pit after the race, could result in disqualification
* 5 second penalty, which is implemented before the pit stop ( =D> )

2015:
* minimum weight 701 kg ( #-o )
* no tire warmers (could explain the higher minimum weight)
* front of the car cannot be too steep (that will need some more explanation, but the FIA has finally reacted to the 2014 noses)
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Holm86

CBeck113 wrote:http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 12312.html

Interesting new changes planned for both 2014 and 2015:
2014:
* minimum weight 691kg (+1kg)
* no stopping on the way to the pit after the race, could result in disqualification
* 5 second penalty, which is implemented before the pit stop ( =D> )

2015:
* minimum weight 701 kg ( #-o )
* no tire warmers (could explain the higher minimum weight)
* front of the car cannot be too steep (that will need some more explanation, but the FIA has finally reacted to the 2014 noses)
Increasing the minimum weight next year is just retarded. Sorry for the wording but its true. Why increase it?? Next year the teams will have had all this year to get down to the current minimum weight. If they should have done anything they should have increased the minimum weight this year and then decreased it next year. It don't get why they will reverse progress that's not F1!! But I guess its FIA in a nutshell!!

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

From the FIA homepage: http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-spo ... 014-geneva
Amendments to the 2015 Technical Regulations, subject to agreement of the F1 Commission:

For safety reasons, the front part of the chassis will not be able to climb too steeply rearward of the front of the chassis.
To me this relates to the survival cell between the sections AA and BB and could be a reaction to these possible shapes of the chassis behind AA.

The finger noses could be abolished by adding an article to the regulations on how the outer cross section of the crash structure has to increase from the tip to the end, eg linear. And ban vanity panels.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Huntresa
Huntresa

Blanchimont wrote:From the FIA homepage: http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-spo ... 014-geneva
Amendments to the 2015 Technical Regulations, subject to agreement of the F1 Commission:

For safety reasons, the front part of the chassis will not be able to climb too steeply rearward of the front of the chassis.
To me this relates to the survival cell between the sections AA and BB and could be a reaction to these possible shapes of the chassis behind AA.

http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/14/79/55/26/13903810.jpg

The finger noses could be abolished by adding an article to the regulations on how the outer cross section of the crash structure has to increase from the tip to the end, eg linear. And ban vanity panels.
Its a reaction to steps overall, mandating that the nose and chassis cant be to steep and will prob mean it will be better to use a totally curved chassi and nose beyond 2015.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

a question to the people that are in the know about the regulations;

regarding the camera pods;

i was thinking, apart from actual practicability and space; it's merely a thought; is it possible,
to have a 'hole' or 'opening' in the exact size of the mandated front camera's, that'll flush INTO the nose,
resulting in having only the actual camera portruding from the side?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"