Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Honda seems to have tried these chimney exits back in 2009 (as per racecar engineering's report on RA109)

Would it have been legal?

Would there been a benefit to these exits or is it better for to flow over the sidepod and down onto the floor?

FrukostScones

only 4 PU's for complet 2015. This is getting ridiculous. How on earth this will work, and does this save any big bucks... :roll:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

SoCalWJS

mikeerfol wrote:
SoCalWJS wrote:Is there a complete list of the changes somewhere? I didn't see anything about Engine Rev limit changed.

Sounds like they are (once again) slowing F1 down. ](*,)
There are more here http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-spo ... 014-munich
Nothing mentioned about upping the revs allowed - just various factors that are likely to decrease grip and ask the engines/Power units to last longer (increase reliability).

Sounds like that net effect will be slower cars. Again.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

TzeiTzei

Re: 2015 noses

Could we actually have the same rules for... i dont know, five or ten years?

Jonnycraig

TzeiTzei wrote:Could we actually have the same rules for... i dont know, five or ten years?
Well no, we couldn't. FOM want a different winner every season, ideally every race.

matt21

Should we try to do some regulations, we think would be fun for engineers and fans as well but contain cost to a level that an average team can afford, let´s say 100 millions?

mrluke

matt21 wrote:Should we try to do some regulations, we think would be fun for engineers and fans as well but contain cost to a level that an average team can afford, let´s say 100 millions?
You cant.

There is no way Mercedes or Ferrari can go back to their board room and say yeah we came second but we only spent £100m of the £500m you gave us.

bhall II

Let's try this one more time.
bhall II wrote:From 2014 to 2015, as written in the regulations, 8% of the PU will be frozen (cylinder bore spacing, deck height, bank stagger, crank throw, main bearing journal diameter, rod bearing journal diameter, pneumatic valvetrain compressor/pressure regulation devices), and half of the remaining 92% can be modified, or 48% of the total PU. From 2015 to 2016, 23% of the PU will be frozen (everything listed above and a shitload of other stuff), and half of the remaining 77% can be modified: or 38% of the total PU.

My question is this: will Honda be obliged to follow the update schedule exactly as written, which ties updates to calendar years, or will their delayed entry be taken into account? In other words, will they be forced to bypass the initial 48% update entirely, because the 2016 rules only allow for a 38% update, or will they be allowed to make a 48% update on account of it being their first update?

It's a convoluted question; I hope it makes sense.
Anyone?

Harsha

bhall II wrote:Let's try this one more time.
bhall II wrote:From 2014 to 2015, as written in the regulations, 8% of the PU will be frozen (cylinder bore spacing, deck height, bank stagger, crank throw, main bearing journal diameter, rod bearing journal diameter, pneumatic valvetrain compressor/pressure regulation devices), and half of the remaining 92% can be modified, or 48% of the total PU. From 2015 to 2016, 23% of the PU will be frozen (everything listed above and a shitload of other stuff), and half of the remaining 77% can be modified: or 38% of the total PU.

My question is this: will Honda be obliged to follow the update schedule exactly as written, which ties updates to calendar years, or will their delayed entry be taken into account? In other words, will they be forced to bypass the initial 48% update entirely, because the 2016 rules only allow for a 38% update, or will they be allowed to make a 48% update on account of it being their first update?

Anyone?
I'm Guessing they will be still in 1st iteration of development so Honda will have 48% update chance instead of Mercedes , Renault and Ferrari

CBeck113

Harsha wrote:

Anyone?
I'm Guessing they will be still in 1st iteration of development so Honda will have 48% update chance instead of Mercedes , Renault and Ferrari
I'll guess that they will have to oblige with the update schedule - or the other manufacturers will protest and get additional updates...that's how it usually works, right? :mrgreen:
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

SectorOne

Anyone?
To me that says Honda right now can build whatever they want, change it as much as they want but have an engine locked for the 2015 season.
Then for 2016 they will follow the same rules as everyone else.

So in a sense they have the benefit of introducing an engine right now and do what they want but if they need to make big changes for 2016 they have missed one year of more modifications allowed.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Crucial_Xtreme

OmniCorse.it reports that the FIA have asked teams to change the crash test on the roll bar. OmniCorse does say for now it's just a rumor, but obviously they have a source and most likely it's simply not official yet. The full article can be found Here

flyboy2160

Please try to get this back to the actual regulations, not to a discussion of hypothetical brake speed schemes or hypothetical canopies. (edit: By request, I'll be starting a brake thread and moving the brake posts into that.)