Alonso: "I'll do anything to help Massa"

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ciro Pabón

Re: Alonso: "I'll do anything to help Massa"

Well, I think that's true, boci. I also agree with Islamatron concept about Hamilton abilities, he's one of the best drivers in the grid. However, the kind of "free spirit" that Alonso has, the one shown in the title of this thread, is hard to find.

In the end, those are our appreciations of character. What would people say about our own character? I'm no rebel, like I want some drivers to be, nor a good patriot, like the one Shaddock needs.

Please, let's not bash any driver (nor any boxer), just because we like one of them. Conceptual and Tomba are right, arguing about Alonso's intentions is some kind of "tempest in a glass of water".

Finally, Shaddock, welcome. I just wanted to say that after your comment and andartop reply, this thread is dead:

"... there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost" whatever debate was in progress". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwins_law :D
Ciro

Belatti

Tomba wrote: @Belatti : For me, the perfect F1 driver tells what he thinks, we seriously lack character on the current grid.
Agree, but I rather prefer a mute than a fire starter in my team :lol:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

vyselegend

LOL at this topic!

At first Fernando Alonso was asked "If you were in position to help Massa, would you do it ?", to what he answeared "Yes, absolutely. If I'm able to help Massa I certainly will."

Immediatly the Sensassionalist press titled: "Alonso WILL help Massa" :)

Now someone create a topic stating :

Alonso: "I'll do anything to help Massa" :D

I'm really looking forward to the next guy arguing about why Fernando sworn on his mother life that he'll go as far as dying to glorify Felipe Massa. :lol:

DaveKillens

Amazing how one driver can make just a simple statement, and the papers and media distort it just to create a buzz, and sell papers.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Conceptual

Watching Modern Marvels on the History channl the other night, I was enlightened to the fact of what Massa really is.

It is the ground corn that is used to make tortilla chips!

Maybe Alonso just had the munchies, and meant that he wanted some chips?? :lol:

mx_tifoso

Conceptual wrote:...I was enlightened to the fact of what Massa really is.

It is the ground corn that is used to make tortilla chips!...
Well yes, but because Alonso is Spanish, their 'tortillas' are very different than what we have in the America's. Their 'tortillas' are similar to our breakfast omelettes, and our's are soft (or sometimes hard) and thin, made up of either corn or wheat, and like flattened bread. :wink:

I only like them home-made from people I know, and preferably from the same region as me! The north! :)

I'm way off topic... :lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

jon-mullen

shotzski wrote: Note: I'm not being bias because I'm a Mclaren fan. I just don't like backstabbers. Especially when Lewis isn't taking a shot at Alonso the whole year round.
Uh, how about when Lewis almost took Alonso out in Japan last week when Alonso was about to put him a lap down in the final laps? Hamilton just COULDN'T STAND for everyone seeing Alonso cross the line first and Hamilton second...a lap down! So what'd he do? He threw a block Alonso wasn't expecting and almost took him out.

But you don't hear Alonso talk about that this week, do you? Because winning is all that matters to the guy. If he wins a GP, it's all good.

Now, about this WDC and helping Massa. Alonso's playing brilliant politics. He's 1) giving himself a sworn enemy, and 2) lowering expectations. By doing this, he's allowing himself to win the WDC in some people's minds while being totally out of contention for it. After this, if he finished the season ahead of Heikki would you call it a win? Of course. Renault was behind Toyota for a while, Alonso kept calling Toyota their main opponent, they passed Toyota in the standings. Win, count it. He's not using politics to suck up to Ferrari, he's using it to maintain his winning brand.

PS The Germans fell for fascism, I hope America doesn't.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

shotzski

Uh, how about when Lewis almost took Alonso out in Japan last week when Alonso was about to put him a lap down in the final laps? Hamilton just COULDN'T STAND for everyone seeing Alonso cross the line first and Hamilton second...a lap down! So what'd he do? He threw a block Alonso wasn't expecting and almost took him out.
Jon-Mullen, please watch the replay again and back read a few pages. How can you say Hamilton almost took Alonso out? What's your proof? When Alonso even slowed down and gave Hamilton space to unlap himself. This issue has already been answered a couple of times, so there is no need to talk about it again. Peace! :D

jon-mullen

I just watched it on the DVR again. The first time I watched it it looked closer. Of course it was 2:30 am here and I started celebrating when Alonso took second, so I was about a sixpack deep. That doesn't change the fact that it did more for Alonso's fans than it did Hamilton's.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

shotzski

Of course it was 2:30 am here and I started celebrating when Alonso took second, so I was about a sixpack deep.
:lol:

tarzoon

Belatti wrote:
Tomba wrote: @Belatti : For me, the perfect F1 driver tells what he thinks, we seriously lack character on the current grid.
Agree, but I rather prefer a mute than a fire starter in my team :lol:
Actually we're missing one point or two here...

First, What's missing is not a big or a small mouth. What's missing is Charisma! I'm getting annoyed every time I read these comments because the pilots are being fuss pots about useless things. And it's like a snowball.... a bitching snowball. Personally, I don't care if they go to manicures every day or if they have to shave their legs just to look good on pictures. I care about their racing skills and the competitiveness. If they are friends or foes, none of my business. Put them in a ring with a pair of gloves and may the best man win.

Second, whatever Alonso says is falling on empty baskets now. I think he was very light on his words, actually. They weren't attractive enough to make it to The Sun's first page. Credits for winning the WDC twice, he deserved them, but no credits for the tap-in-the-shoulder, because if he wants to knock Hamilton out of the race track now, he can't (Senna-Prost in Japan, anyone?)

Third, Alonso/Hamilton, Senna/Prost, Shummi/everyone else, Me/beer (I keep loosing, but I keep trying anyway). So far they were playing by the rules. I used to be a McLaren fan, but since they started losing the plot and making silly mistakes (won't mention the spygate - ups, just did) and team orders, i got disappointed. Not that the others are free of guilt, but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Maybe they are just young and spoiled... and too rich.