Honda F1 in trouble, and withdraw from F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Conceptual
Conceptual

Re: Honda F1 in trouble, and withdraw from F1

donskar wrote:Conceptual,
Would anyone really hold it against them in their first year? Look at the Jordan/Midland/Spyker/Force India team. Nobody expected anything of these first year teams, so why would it be different with the New owner of the Honda team?
WE wouldn't hold it against them -- I agree. And I HOPE a buyer turns up SOON.

But I'm trying to look through the eyes of potential buyers/sponsors. They are looking at investing a small fortune with the knowledge that they are likely to get minimal short-term return. In the current economic environment, investors are going to be more cautious and more demanding.
That's the problem with F1 belonging in the Theatrical Class of racing.

Chaparral

Any creedence to this story guys?? :)

F-1live.com
Made In America?
New American F1 team under wraps...
04/02/09 11:30

Why start from scratch when teams are for sale?
A new Formula One team is under wraps in America and set to be launched officially later this month, it is reported on Wednesday.

The team, whose logo can be previewed at 'usf1.com', is fronted by F1 stalwart and broadcaster Peter Windsor, and American Ken Anderson, of IndyCar and NASCAR fame but also former Ligier Technical Director.

Briton Windsor, 56, has worked for Williams and Ferrari, but is best known today as a television pundit and writer.

The German website motorsport-total.com claims USF1 intends to make its Grand Prix debut in 2010, and already has the blessing of F1 Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone.

The team will have the slogan 'Made In America' and be headquartered in the heart of NASCAR-country in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Reportedly, an agreement to use the new Windshear wind tunnel in North Carolina is already in place, while USF1 intends to be a showcase for American technology and US-born drivers.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

xpensive
xpensive

I have heard from credible sources that this new team is negotiating for Ferrari-engines badged as Chryslers, all through the Fiat-connection.
Moreover, AJ Foyt is rumoured to be the Team-principal and Al Unser Jr will make come-back as a driver. If nothing else, it will prove that "The ugly American" is more than a myth.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Conceptual
Conceptual

xpensive wrote:I have heard from credible sources that this new team is negotiating for Ferrari-engines badged as Chryslers, all through the Fiat-connection.
Moreover, AJ Foyt is rumoured to be the Team-principal and Al Unser Jr will make come-back as a driver. If nothing else, it will prove that "The ugly American" is more than a myth.
I think that there is much more talent at much younger ages than Al Unser Jr.

Maybe the first female driver? I caught a Indy-style race on Speed TV last year that had an entire field of female drivers.

In an age where sponsorship is tough to come by, having a hot female driver will get you more than a past-his-prime old man. I could see Unser as a team member, but NOT as a driver...

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:I have heard from credible sources that this new team is negotiating for Ferrari-engines badged as Chryslers, all through the Fiat-connection.
HUH?! Surely you jest!

AJ has scant financing , and fewer technical resources (his HQ is about 20 miles from here). Al Unser?! And Chrysler is sinking fast.

Sorry if I am still half-asleep -- this is a joke, right?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

xpensive
xpensive

Things are moving fast as we speak here, latest news is that Bill Elliot is hoping for the second seat, thanks to his McDonald's sponsorship. If he can be tought to turn right on occation.

WhiteBlue

I they were any serious they would pick up Honda F1 and go racing this year. They can allways sell the assets as their operation in Carolina goes live.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

I'm certain we will see a Saab F1-car winning races, loong before an all-american outfit based somewhere in the Carolinas will materialize.

DM0407
DM0407

donskar wrote:
HUH?! Surely you jest!

AJ has scant financing , and fewer technical resources (his HQ is about 20 miles from here). Al Unser?! And Chrysler is sinking fast.

Sorry if I am still half-asleep -- this is a joke, right?

I could see the Chrysler/Ferrari connection, everyone in F1 would understand its a Ferrari, but it would give some recognition to CHRYS who needs to make a big splash to survive.

If nothing else it might get main stream America to pay attention to real racing.... It would be nice to see racing on Speed Channel instead of 25hr /day of Nascar coverage.

donskar
donskar

I could see the Chrysler/Ferrari connection, everyone in F1 would understand its a Ferrari, but it would give some recognition to CHRYS who needs to make a big splash to survive.

Chrysler needs Billions of $ (repeat Billions) to survive -- not thrive, survive. And they need quality small cars to survive.

And they sell almost exclusively in the USA. With no F1 repesentation in North America, any success they might have (and it would be unlikely) would have very slight impact on sales. Better they take whatever reacing budget they ahve and put it in the cars and trucks that race in the USA.

I would LOVE to see a US F1 team, and I hope I am TOTALLY wrong.

xpensive
xpensive

Hey donskar, it's coming together nicely now! Chrysler-badged Ferrari-engines, a Boeing-made tub, Firestone-badged Bridgestones, McDonald's sponsorship, a hungover little Al driving and AJ starting a brawl at the press-conference. How all-American can you get?
And a government bail-out if everything goes wrong of course.

djos

Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking to me! [-X
"In downforce we trust"

Conceptual
Conceptual

Well, if the McDonalds sponsorship is in place, you can get Montoya to fill the other seat... According to Schumacher, he will drive for Big Macs... :oops:

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:Hey donskar, it's coming together nicely now! Chrysler-badged Ferrari-engines, a Boeing-made tub, Firestone-badged Bridgestones, McDonald's sponsorship, a hungover little Al driving and AJ starting a brawl at the press-conference. How all-American can you get?
And a government bail-out if everything goes wrong of course.
=D> Who needs Monty Python when we have F1 rumors?!

jddh1

Conceptual wrote:According to Schumacher, [Montoya] will drive for Big Macs... :oops:
hahahahahahahhahahahahhahaah

Oh my. This comment makes me laugh so hard! Thanks Conceptual for starting my day with a huge laugh. Thanks