Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Metar

Re: Renault R29

And even as the "lightest Renault ever", with the 110kg pairing of Alonso and the KERS system, how likely are they to have over 40kg to play with?

timbo

Moanlower wrote:How much ballast did you have in mind? Ballast is mostly spread and not all stuffed in 1 area. You could easily put 30 or 40kg in the nose if needed even though I THINK less will do on a well balanced basic design.
Well, I was once again commenting on that notion that such a huge nosecone was chosen to house more ballast. 30kg of tungsten is a brick of 15x10x10 cm in dimensions (actually a bit less than that).

Moanlower

timbo wrote:
Moanlower wrote:I don't understand. Why is that a good illustration? Do you think a mechanic can't lift a nose fitted with ballast? :P
Unless they made ballast of goose feather, mechanic wouldn't be able to lift a nosecone of that volume fully packed :lol:
timbo wrote:
Moanlower wrote:How much ballast did you have in mind? Ballast is mostly spread and not all stuffed in 1 area. You could easily put 30 or 40kg in the nose if needed even though I THINK less will do on a well balanced basic design.
Well, I was once again commenting on that notion that such a huge nosecone was chosen to house more ballast. 30kg of tungsten is a brick of 15x10x10 cm in dimensions (actually a bit less than that).
So, what exactly is your point ?? It's already been stated that the nose is more than big enough to fit the necessary ballast. Why does it always has to be one thing or another :?: :?: The big nose provides enough downforce AND gives room to easily shift ballast.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

Moanlower

Metar wrote:And even as the "lightest Renault ever", with the 110kg pairing of Alonso and the KERS system, how likely are they to have over 40kg to play with?
It won't be that much. The math has already been done before. 'Xpensive' said the picture was a good illustration that the nosecone is not where to put ballast on an F1 car. My question was why, because of the weight? So even IF they would put 30 or 40kg in there it would still be possible to carry it. Capiche :?: #-o
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

axle

kilcoo316 wrote:
axle wrote:Yeah, refinements, like sticking it in the bin and starting again...
Why do you say that?
Do you know what they are trying to do with it?
Joke, tongue-in-cheek...

And I say that JOKE purely on aesthetic grounds. :)
- Axle

myurr

Moanlower wrote:
Metar wrote:And even as the "lightest Renault ever", with the 110kg pairing of Alonso and the KERS system, how likely are they to have over 40kg to play with?
It won't be that much. The math has already been done before. 'Xpensive' said the picture was a good illustration that the nosecone is not where to put ballast on an F1 car. My question was why, because of the weight? So even IF they would put 30 or 40kg in there it would still be possible to carry it. Capiche :?: #-o
As a side note isn't there an EU regulation about requiring more than one employee to carry a load if it is above 25kg?

Could be making that up though, just a distant memory from a job I had over 10 years ago.

axle

myurr wrote:
As a side note isn't there an EU regulation about requiring more than one employee to carry a load if it is above 25kg?

Could be making that up though, just a distant memory from a job I had over 10 years ago.
You are correct for a man 25kg's close to his pelvis or 20Kg's lower down.

Page 10.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg143.pdf
- Axle

xpensive

If that rather precious nose-piece was any more than 10 kg, I am certain you would see at least two mechanics holding it while standing-by. Try hold full suit-case in front of you for size.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

axle

xpensive wrote:If that rather precious nose-piece was any more than 10 kg, I am certain you would see at least two mechanics holding it while standing-by. Try hold full suit-case in front of you for size.
Indeed for testing pit proceedure, why have ANY ballast in it. You're learning a process not doing an endurance test ;)
- Axle

marinopc

Spanish TV "La Sexta" said that R29 has minor aerodinamic changes for the current test in Jerez. Has anyone noticed this changes?

axle

marinopc wrote:Spanish TV "La Sexta" said that R29 has minor aerodinamic changes for the current test in Jerez. Has anyone noticed this changes?
Dang, only minor - we live in hope :D [-o<

:P :P :lol: :lol:
- Axle

imightbewrong

Renault have tried to hide some of the ugliness in its new nose by painting the underside black, they also have a new front wing that tries to direct the air around the wheels instead of over:

modbaraban

imightbewrong wrote:Renault have tried to hide some of the ugliness in its new nose by painting the underside black...
Looks like they read F1technical forums :)
viewtopic.php?p=90912#p90912

Callum

I wonder why they gave up on diverting the air over the tyres, it looks like they get about another 10cm of wing though.

spaman

Strange openings on the side skirts of R29's nose:

Source: f1-live.com