2009 January Winter Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
freedom_honda

Re: 2009 January Winter Testing

vyselegend wrote:Duch site provides regular updates, go to:

http://www.f1today.nl/live-update/2009/ ... o-algarve/

And then open a babel fish or google translator to translate in english :wink:

Green flag again btw, but no news or pics of the FW31 and Hunkelberg yet. Hope nothing too bad in both cases. [-o<
haha.
"The doctor's car is almost immediately on the spot to make sure something is wrong with Hulk Mountain."

tk421

roost89 wrote:Image
Are the front brake intakes completely blocked off or is it just me?
I just think the brake ducts are angled downwards...

BTW, I couldn't reach any Hulkenburg crash photos (a terrible shame--the crash, that is...). Any links are much appreciated!

I thought I read this thread pretty thoroughly, but has anyone commented on the slit in the nose just ahead of the cockpit in the above picture? I assume it's just for cockpit cooling.
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

Spencifer_Murphy

If i'm looking at what you'r looking at (on the upper side of the nose cone, near the front of the cockpit, slightly to the car's left) that's not an opening.

It's the reflection of the airbox (look at the rest of the reflection, you can see the pitot tube also) :wink:
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

roost89

Although the rain hampered the testing it does help when looking at the wake from teh car. I notice that the STR has a smaller trail (height wise) than the 2009 spec cars. Is this a show of the aerodynamic effect given by the 2009 rules? and surely such a high lift of air won't be good for the following cars.
Thoughts?
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

gerhard

Indeed, the air lift from the '09 spec cars is twice as high than the '08 STR, but just half as dense. Looks like the new regulations works!
Last edited by gerhard on 21 Jan 2009, 03:54, edited 2 times in total.

Ogami musashi

Pulling the turbulences high in the air was exactly what was aimed to.

If you compare with the STR trail look at how far it goes and look at the near diffuser and rear wing zone, see how it is completely messed up.

In general the wake is much more linear in 09 cars than in the STR.

So yes it seems is works.

Now, have to found the downforce they run and why they're so much slower than the STR (because i'm pretty much sure the STR runs in 09 downforce levels trim.)

modbaraban

I can't resist commenting on TF109's looks here. I doesn't look fast at all. In fact it look like it's stationary and being blown away by something :lol:

mike

Ogami musashi wrote:Pulling the turbulences high in the air was exactly what was aimed to.

If you compare with the STR trail look at how far it goes and look at the near diffuser and rear wing zone, see how it is completely messed up.

In general the wake is much more linear in 09 cars than in the STR.

So yes it seems is works.

Now, have to found the downforce they run and why they're so much slower than the STR (because i'm pretty much sure the STR runs in 09 downforce levels trim.)
indeed STR runs 09 downforce level but not 09 drag level, u would have to think that the efficiency of these cars are every different, and the 09 cars have KERS to unsettle the balance, which makes the 08 cars much faster in the wet and the 09 cars also didnt have the slicks which they are designed for

shotzski

It seems Mclaren also opted for additional cooling vents just under the sidepods. For KERS perhaps?

What are the extra linkages at the front suspension for?

ISLAMATRON

there are no extra linkeges, its just that the steering arm is no longer shrouded together with the upper A-arm because of the new rules package.

shotzski

Oh, you're right. my eyes confused me. Sorry

modbaraban

shotzski wrote:Image
It seems Mclaren also opted for additional cooling vents just under the sidepods. For KERS perhaps?

freedom_honda

roost89 wrote: Although the rain hampered the testing it does help when looking at the wake from teh car. I notice that the STR has a smaller trail (height wise) than the 2009 spec cars. Is this a show of the aerodynamic effect given by the 2009 rules? and surely such a high lift of air won't be good for the following cars.
Thoughts?
wow thats some amazing observation :o
Last edited by freedom_honda on 22 Jan 2009, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

FM2009

RE the cars wake: The STR has a much lower more intense wake staying at around the same height as the cars so all of that disrupted air looks like it's been left at F1 car level. In Contrast the 2009 spec cars have a wake which looks much more distributed and less intense therefore it should be easier for cars to follow! The wake being significantly higher wouldn't affect an F1 car since an F1 car following isn't that high....

chasefreak

What are the extra linkages at the front suspension for?
this is something really interesting .. will have to look out and see how much they have developed the front suspension.