USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
modbaraban

Re: USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

andartop wrote:So we have Force India, we might get USF1, what's next? Go!KoreaF1?... Hope at least I won't live to see a religion (any) sponsored F1 team!
There's a band from Leeds called "iForward Russia!" I won't be surprised to see a Brackly based team called "Go!Korea" or "Yay!China" or even "Singapore WTF1".

But I definitely think that having Speed and Danica racing for USF1 would make the sport more interesting to watch! :P

F1LOCO

Danica??? WTF??? They have to modify the chassis to get her fit. :lol:

jddh1

I think they should try really hard to get Playboy to be a minor sponsor. Would you miss the pre-race shows ever again?

And as for the logo, it's just a temporary one guys. Who's to say that they won't change the team name eventually and therefore the logo? USF1 is short and very descriptive: it's an American team.

I'll have to agree with whomever said that they might be a FIAT-backed team. There are articles around talking about Chrysler-badged powerplants and such, but we know that Chrysler and FIAT are now in a partnership that includes exchange of technology (here). Could this be a neat way for Ferrari to do what RBR and Honda were forbid to do with STR and SA, respectively?

In addition, why wouldn't they go for a fresh start, without having to buy intellectual property from anybody? Would you really want Honda's designs after the last few years? I could see if they want to race this year, but they're talking 2010. They will have all the time in the world to prepare a very exciting challenger in that time.

ketanpaul

I dont know why ppl dont like the logo....i find it quite nice actually :) And buying Honda will be a very smart move and just wat Honda needs to finally have a good season under ross brawn's leadership, although den da team would not be able to function completely from US soil...

and as far as an all american team goes..its good...but i hope they keep an open mind about drivers....coz i really wan button to do good

Conceptual

Make NO MISTAKE, there is PLENTY of money still in the USA. It is just in the hands of businesses, not the people.

If a few of these companies felt that the global exposure is worth the advertising cost of sponsoring the team, they WILL get it. I mean, where is HP, Microsoft, Verizon, GE and many many others going to get that level of world exposure?

I think that if they use the Neo Tech Advantages to plan this project, that they will be serious contenders in 2010. Especially if they study the solutions of the teams in 2009 to the new rules. So, all of the other teams find the solutions, they choose what ones they want to implement, and test their designs.

I would just love to consult on their CFD machine, since I am an AMD solutions provider, I can backdoor to the AMD/ATI engineers, and really push for a multi-GPU solution, which currently can put 2.5 TFLOPS in a desktop machine. Rack mounting 8 of these units would max out their regulated 20 TFLOPS computing power, and with this system, it can be done for less than $35,000USD... Much better than renault's $55 Million dollar supercomputer!

Anyways, I hope it is realized, because I might actually have a team to cheer for!

PS: If they wanted to generate a HUGE BUZZ about F1 in the US, they should re-make the movie Grand Prix, using Vettel's victory from pole at Monza last year. That is exactly the type of underdog story that Disney would seriously snap up. If that movie were to coincide with the launch of the new USF1 team, it would only cement F1 as a real racing series, since a good part of the movie would be explaining the sport to the audience.

Maybe not, but I think it was the perfect story-book event to remake Grand Prix, especially being at Monza... Would anyone else go see that movie?
Last edited by Conceptual on 05 Feb 2009, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

tk421

F1LOCO wrote:Danica??? WTF??? They have to modify the chassis to get her fit. :lol:
All these F1 drivers are trying to lose weight and she probably weighs 100 pounds. Think of what they could do if they had 40-60 pounds of balast to play with :lol:

Good comments about Summerton, too. Forgot about him...
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

Conceptual

tk421 wrote:
F1LOCO wrote:Danica??? WTF??? They have to modify the chassis to get her fit. :lol:
All these F1 drivers are trying to lose weight and she probably weighs 100 pounds. Think of what they could do if they had 40-60 pounds of balast to play with :lol:

Good comments about Summerton, too. Forgot about him...
When the average male is 5'9", 150lbs and the average female is 5'2" 120lbs, I'm surprised that the move to female jockeys hasn't happened already. Just because they have breasts don't make them non-cockpit fittable. I mean, unless they have 56kkk's under their driving suit.

Does silicone weigh more than breast tissue? Maybe they can put helium in there to offset some weight? LMAO

modbaraban

But isn't it worth it? I mean when Speed raced for STR they apparently had to modify the chassis as well for his 'b***r this big' and he wasn't doing too badly with all that. It's just that the bosses were envious and sacked him eventualy.

Also Danica has the advantage in terms of mass damping. Max will not dare banning that!

Deerfield805

Danica would not be the best driver to put in the car, but she is by Far the most marketable. She is currently the only american open wheel driver that can pull in money. 21 million over 3 years from Motorola, 2 million a year from Go Daddy, 2 million a year from Peak. She is the Only open wheel driver that non race fans recognize. The first words out of peoples mouthes when they find out I used to race is "How about Danica"? The second seat should go to someone who can set up the car and give an honest comparison how the car rates against the competition. Jensen Button? This is exactly the window in the last 20 years to pull this off.

andartop

modbaraban wrote:I won't be surprised to see a Brackly based team called "Go!Korea" or "Yay!China" or even "Singapore WTF1".
I hope with WTF1 you mean something like World Team Formula 1... I don't mind a national effort like Prost-Peugeot was, or even sponsoring, like Abu-Dhabi Ford, but I fail to see the point in naming the team after a country whether everything comes from said country, like this USF1 looks like it's going to be (if ever) or just the money, like Force India is. Still, if you HAVE to do it, please use your imagination a bit. If I was setting up a full-British team I would go for something like "Boy-Racers F1" or "Binge-Racing Team", not "Her Royal Majesty's F1 Club"..
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

modbaraban

andartop wrote:If I was setting up a full-British team I would go for something like "Boy-Racers F1" or "Binge-Racing Team", not "Her Royal Majesty's F1 Club"..
Or just use the right color which nobody does nowdays except Ferrari.

F1LOCO

Spoken like a fellow RedHead. =D>

xpensive

Last rumour is that the USF1 cars will actually be Ferrari customer-cars, badged as Alfa Romeo's for FIAT's re-introduction on the American market through Chrysler.
Guess they will be red, no?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Conceptual

If they are going full customer cars, then they will be much more likely to actually win a race.

I can't actually see Ferrari giving them the full spec that they themselves are racing, but who knows?

It is gonna be great to see if this thing actually happens!

jddh1

modbaraban wrote:
andartop wrote:If I was setting up a full-British team I would go for something like "Boy-Racers F1" or "Binge-Racing Team", not "Her Royal Majesty's F1 Club"..
Or just use the right color which nobody does nowdays except Ferrari.
I agree completely. At least have the base color of the car be the nation's motorsport color.
It's getting harder now though. You have an english team with a german powerplant, so I suppose silver is fitting to some degree. Toyota is quite ok too. Honda was all over the place. I don't know why BMW doesn't have a silver base. Now that they're entirely german they should use silver. Too many commercial advertisement, so what can you do? (I miss the Arrows/Spyker orange though.)