USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
flynfrog

Re: USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

I think the real advantage is since they are not an official team they can spend the next year testing as much as they want.\
Assuming no drastic rule changes they could arrive with a decently sorted car

tk421

majicmeow wrote:I think what he means is that the team could design an engine right the first time
Agerasia wrote: Exactly.
It's clear now, thanks! I originally thought he was speaking of the ban on testing mileage, but as you say, he meant the ban on engine development. Crystal clear now, thanks!
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

flynfrog

This could be a gold mine for an existing team to give them a car basically free unlimited testing for a year

jon-mullen

Wow, awesome! I hope they find a way to make this go down.

American drivers would be nice for the fans, but I expect an F1 team to do what it has to do to win. Also, Scott Speed just qualified 17th for the Daytona 500, I don't think we'll see him on your side of the pond any time soon.

As for sponsors, even our ethically-challenged multi-national corporations are having trouble sponsoring NASCAR races. Case in point, Tony Stewart (champion '02, '05) this year is rotating sponsorship between Burger King, Office Depot, and Old Spice. Even Junior is alternating sponsors to spread the cost around. They'd probably get the best mileage out of finding a sponsor that has some relation to the aftermarket auto parts industry.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Agerasia
Agerasia

tk421 wrote:
majicmeow wrote:I think what he means is that the team could design an engine right the first time
Agerasia wrote: Exactly.
It's clear now, thanks! I originally thought he was speaking of the ban on testing mileage, but as you say, he meant the ban on engine development. Crystal clear now, thanks!
The testing ban also would not apply (I believe).
If they tested in the U.S. and had not officially entered F1 then they could test for as long as necessery. Only teams in the championship have to adhere to the testing ban rules.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

xpensive
xpensive

The new "USF1" team "source" has revealed the following most interesting economical theory:

"Within the infrastructure of the cluttered European F1 bases, it is very difficult to outsource as much as a team would want to because it's so competitive out there, and it doesn't actually save you a lot of money anyway, because there are so many teams there that the outside suppliers charge a premium.

"Whereas in America, if you're the only F1 team on the block, it's a slightly different deal."
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Moanlower

xpensive wrote:With all the respect for US racing technology, the idea of starting up an F1 team in the Carolinas rings just a tad optimistic to me, when it seems impossible to base a French team in France or a Japanese team in Japan?
No matter the McDonald's and Heinz money.
If you have to believe Anderson,a US-based team, despite every other F1 outfit being headquartered in Europe, is possible because "90 percent of the technology that exists in F1 comes from the US anyway." =D>

I guess the only way is down then.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

F1LOCO
F1LOCO

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/02/ ... charlotte/

Guess Charlotte is not so out of the picture from this release....now, they only need Summerton on board... :mrgreen:

jddh1

flynfrog wrote:This could be a gold mine for an existing team to give them a car basically free unlimited testing for a year
I don't think they will be testing for a year actually. Don't forget, first, they have to find sponsors, then find the people and a place to work (infrastructure). Only then will they be able to start building something. So I suppose, if they are quick enough, they could start testing sometime in late August early September. That is pretty much the same time that other teams will begin work on next year's cars. So it really comes down to how quickly can they secure funding and hire the people. Everyone here is talking as if they already have the team built already. I haven't read anything about CFD people applying for jobs in the Carolinas yet.

Conceptual
Conceptual

jddh1 wrote:
flynfrog wrote:This could be a gold mine for an existing team to give them a car basically free unlimited testing for a year
I don't think they will be testing for a year actually. Don't forget, first, they have to find sponsors, then find the people and a place to work (infrastructure). Only then will they be able to start building something. So I suppose, if they are quick enough, they could start testing sometime in late August early September. That is pretty much the same time that other teams will begin work on next year's cars. So it really comes down to how quickly can they secure funding and hire the people. Everyone here is talking as if they already have the team built already. I haven't read anything about CFD people applying for jobs in the Carolinas yet.
What if they were sponsored by Red Bull, and given a full RB5/STR4 to "play around with" for all of 2009.

Since RBT is a seperate entity, I think that they could do it, and get away with it...

PS: Ferrari and Renault may even supply an engine or two, along with some engine guys to help advise on the internal structure of a highly efficient F1 team... All while circumventing the test ban along with RBR/STR.

Hey, if it is legal, any team would be almost stupid not to do it with the current restrictions...

xpensive
xpensive

How 'bout that, "Red Steer" from Charlotte, with pick-ups and snakeskin boots? Yi-haa!
Ooops, sorry about that one y'all...

jddh1

Conceptual wrote:
jddh1 wrote:
What if they were sponsored by Red Bull, and given a full RB5/STR4 to "play around with" for all of 2009.

Since RBT is a seperate entity, I think that they could do it, and get away with it...

PS: Ferrari and Renault may even supply an engine or two, along with some engine guys to help advise on the internal structure of a highly efficient F1 team... All while circumventing the test ban along with RBR/STR.

Hey, if it is legal, any team would be almost stupid not to do it with the current restrictions...
You need the people more than anything. I don't know if they are already hiring or not 100% but with what I know they haven't already. (For those who want to get in on F1, this would be a great opportunity.) I find it hard for RB to sponsor them, although I can see Ferrari sending Chrysler-badged engines over for full time testing. A temporary chassis may be built quickly to begin preliminary testing, but we come back to the lack of people.
xpensive wrote:How 'bout that, "Red Steer" from Charlotte, with pick-ups and snakeskin boots? Yi-haa!
Ooops, sorry about that one y'all...
A redneck in Sweden. Should I be disturbed? 8)

xpensive
xpensive

New signs at press-conferences too: "No tobacco-spittin' in these here premises"

Conceptual
Conceptual

No offense, but with the amount of NASCAR teams based in North Carolina, are you saying that none of that talent would translate to F1? I mean, if you can get a team of CATIA monkeys, and a lead designer that can communicate that to the modelers, your only shortfall may come from the lack of carbon fibre layup technicians. Although, the University of North Carolina probably has a sizable facility that could harness student power (free!).

Who knows. Even getting the Ferrari monocoque along with the driveline would be a huge start. They can take hi-res photos all year long to figure out the best way to make the skin around it. Add that to a TON of CFD (still not under restriction) and access to your own windtunnel, and I think that the project management becomes your key to success. If you don't have a person to direct that has the entire perspective, and the understanding of how to prioritize, then you will end up with a very expensive flop.

If however they get the right person, they may end up with a podium in Melbourne 2010...

F1LOCO
F1LOCO

xpensive wrote:New signs at press-conferences too: "No tobacco-spittin' in these here premises"
:lol: Let's hope it's in Carolina only for logistical purposes. Remember, Peter has ties to Speed based out of Carolina, and there is a lot of R&D there, just for the wrong series at the moment....They do experience hot and cold weather similar to Europe, though with Bernie slashing the Euro GP's, that seems less important these days.