Coolest racing quote?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pierce89

Re: Coolest racing quote?

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
strad wrote:
Jeffsvilleusa wrote:“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

-Ernest Hemingway
Oh that it was still true.
He left one out:
#4) blowing ones own brains out with a full length 12 gauge. :lol:

IMO It never was true, to say nothing of the fact that "Papa" was an egotistical idiot, and had absolutely no sense of fair play.
Not surprising one of his daughters blew herself away as well.
You seem to have a bit of a problem with Hemingway. Joking about 2 peoples' suicides is quite sick.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Mr Alcatraz

I don't have a problem with Hemingway; however being a student of letters when I matriculated I learned how much of an a-hole he really was. I wasn't making light of his daughter offing herself. I was suggesting he had an influence on her that contributed. The laughing emoticon was in bad taste, you got me there. I just don't think he is in any way making a valid point. Bullfighting isn't a sport, its torture. Why not include dueling with hand guns, and swords? That is significantly more equitable than butchering a Bull. How about Rodeo, specifically Bull riding and to a lesser degree unbroken horses? What about boxing, or even wrestling? I'm sure there are others that have slipped my mind at the moment. I really don't think much of that quote. If you read as much about him as I have you would know what an egotistical jerk he was with plenty of examples that back up my assertions. He really did not have any sense of fair play, and was in no way an authority on what constitutes sport!
I know a lot of people like that quote. I happen to be one that finds it profoundly flawed.
That's all :wink:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

cossie

Paul Tracy has so many but this one was the best "I'm not going to drive one of those crap wagons."

Rusy Wallace on getting in a Dallara

"I wouldn't get out of an electric chair to get in one of these things."" --Penske South driver, Rusty Wallace , on ESPN.com on 10/12/03.

Mr Alcatraz

To achieve anything in this game you must be prepare to dabble in the boundary of disaster. Sterling Moss

victorsaver

On any given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit and you go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think, OK, this is the limit. As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you realize that you can suddenly go a little longer. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and experience, so you can fly very high.

Mr Alcatraz

Mark this in your book, I’m the best. It’s a proud thing to be the best at anything, but you wouldn’t know about that. You’ll never know until you are willing to risk everything. Where I come from there is a race driver, go to the track and whisper his name; Tazio Nuvolari and watch the heads nod up and down. The man faced death daily and became a legend. You'll never make the grade at anything by playing it safe!

--Fats Brown--Twighlight Zone (Original Series) Season 2 Episode 5

Edit: Season 3 Episode 5

Pandamasque

"I like sleeping"
K. Raikkonen

Trocola

De la Rosa said on Spanish TV that the most funny thing Kimi said was on Monaco. He was running second and the leader entered boxes. Kimi's engineer told him by radio "it's the moment to push hard". Kimi answered: "what do you think i've been doing before?"

Trocola

cossie

How about Rodeo, specifically Bull riding

Well Roping Randy formlessly CEO of PBR has taken his blood and gore to the Indy car series, posting any emotions would be tasteless

peteskar

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning
“… the last time someone was as wrong as you, was when a politician stepped off an aeroplane in 1939 waving a piece of paper in the air saying there will be no war with Germany ”

- Jeremy Clarkson

xpensive

"Same sh*t, different day"

JJ Lehto on his BMS-Dallara at the 1992 Monaco GP.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.

xpensive wrote:"Same sh*t, different day"

lehto at that time had his underwear imprinted with fat SSDD logos!

Nando

Mr Alcatraz wrote:I don't have a problem with Hemingway; however being a student of letters when I matriculated I learned how much of an a-hole he really was. I wasn't making light of his daughter offing herself. I was suggesting he had an influence on her that contributed. The laughing emoticon was in bad taste, you got me there. I just don't think he is in any way making a valid point. Bullfighting isn't a sport, its torture. Why not include dueling with hand guns, and swords? That is significantly more equitable than butchering a Bull. How about Rodeo, specifically Bull riding and to a lesser degree unbroken horses? What about boxing, or even wrestling? I'm sure there are others that have slipped my mind at the moment. I really don't think much of that quote. If you read as much about him as I have you would know what an egotistical jerk he was with plenty of examples that back up my assertions. He really did not have any sense of fair play, and was in no way an authority on what constitutes sport!
I know a lot of people like that quote. I happen to be one that finds it profoundly flawed.
That's all :wink:
Hmm interesting, here we have a man that tells Hemingway he he had no authority to decide what was a sport and what wasn´t.

Yet this person says:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:Bullfighting isn't a sport, its torture.
Wonderful piece of logic there mate. If Spain considered bull fighting a sport back then, then it was a sport.

We call throwing a circular piece of rock across a slippery surface while two people brushing in front of it a sport.

Trying not to get killed by a bull on a consistent basis i would call a sport.
This sport i agree is torture but you just as Hemingway do not decide what is a sport and what isn´t.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

xpensive

marcush. wrote:
xpensive wrote:"Same sh*t, different day"

lehto at that time had his underwear imprinted with fat SSDD logos!
JJ was one of the lost talents of F1, even worse than Reine Wisell, who after retiring MrM's March 741 in Sweden said;

"You can't always be lucky."
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

stefan_

"There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire."
Murray Walker
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985