FIA introduces £30m budget cap

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shaddock

Re: FIA introduces £30m budget cap

If we have any form of budget cap then we'll end up with standardised cars. It's the only way the FIA could police the finances effectively.

Chaparral

I'm all for a cap on spending in a measured way - totally against a two tiered regulations series but one thing that hasnt been addressed is - the value thats been built up by the current teams/business' over the last decade or longer and now its being devalued (dramatically) by the FIA and its decision to change the regulations (severely) and in a very short term - and that in any court of law would see the FIA sued for their last penny and that is a fact..........................................it is just criminal - the teams have built their own and F1 business by being involved and spending billions not only for their benefit but Ecclestone/CVC and the FIA and they are having that taken away from them in one fell swoop................absolutely wrong. I hope that FOTA stick together on this and rip the guts out of the FIA for this absolute shambles - Max is a wanker end of story.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

xpensive

I agree completely Chap, but what's more, I'm afraid that the EvilTwins pushed things just a bit too far this time.

If MrM two weeks from now, sits with no Ferrari, BMW, Toyota, Renault or Red Bull/TR application for 2010, then what?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Chaparral

X - good question - I think if that happens Ecclestone is a very happy man - CVC goes into liquidation and he picks up the rights to F1 again for a song - and thats what will happen if things go pear shaped - its a no brainer - but is it good for F1 - I dont think so anymore...................................I'm a bit over this soap opera stuff and Eccles buddy Max
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

Richard

xpensive wrote:no Ferrari, BMW, Toyota, Renault or Red Bull/TR application for 2010, then what?
If you were one of those teams would you trust the others to not enter? Imagine sitting out and then finding MM and BE had been on the phone and persuaded the others to enter at the last minute?

xpensive

Never gamble with more than you can afford to loose, surely Montezemolo, Theissen and Howett knows that.

And Formula 1 according to MrM's plan, they don't need.

theoracle

the teams could set up an alternative championship in 3 months, with much better conditions for the tracks to want in.
And consistent rules with a long term plan.
large changes shake things up but make it more likely to favour one team who luck into a great car/concepts or manages to find a loophole in the new rules.
small changes keep things in balance, a planning ahead always saves money.

if an alternative series was started with Ferrari, BMW, McLaren, Toyota and RedBull, It's a no-brainer to know which one people would follow, no matter what they call it.

WhiteBlue

I am surprised Mateschitz is on the boycott side. It tells me that this is not a manufacturer only issue. RBR is somewhere around Williams and Renault in terms of budget and resources.

I do know that he thinks that F1 commercial rights should be owned by the teams and not by CVC or any banks. So is it more a chance to go for the own championship or real concern over the budget cap scheme that is driving the big teams now?

Red Bull are in a very good position now, they have something to loose. If the current conflict is about the budget cap scheme it will be resolved by negotiations in the next weeks. But if the big teams have finally decided that they want to control the series for themselves there will be a huge fight that will run over years and will split F1.

I hope that is not what they are after.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Beewill

This is turning into the IRL/CART saga again for us in the States. I really hope for the sake of all the open wheel fans in the world this doesn’t destroy the racing we love. On the current path I can see where the FIA series will be a spec style series (IRL) which given the past case studies is BOREING, and the new founded series with Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, Toyota, and Red Bull will have great cars and great racing but at too much expense for the manufacturers with out corresponding sponsorship and television revenue. Please not again............

So long as Tony George doesn't get involved for either side there could be a chance for a positive outcome but then again it is Mad Max and Wee Bernie driving this ship.
"Time is a waste of life, life is a waste of time. So, lets get wasted all of the time and have the time of our lives" George Carlin

Richard

A break away would be interesting.

The big paying tracks are signed up to Bernie, so the breakaway would have to find other venues and also ones with plenty of the fans to buy tickets. Return of Silervstone, Montreal, and the other old tracks abandoned by Bernie. Did you see there appeared to be more people at quali in Barca than at the race day for China & Bahrain? The breakawy sounds appealing doen't it?

The big paying tracks will have a white elephant race and lose money, whilst the glamour would follow Ferrari & McLaren ... and the money would follow the glamour.

As for contracts, I'm sure the acocuntants could manipulate the existing racing companies into bankrupcy (sorry bernie, we can't afford it anymore) while the holding companies start up a new team in a new series.

xpensive

A most viable and conclusive analysis WB, hats off.

theoracle

richard_leeds wrote:A break away would be interesting.

The big paying tracks are signed up to Bernie, so the breakaway would have to find other venues and also ones with plenty of the fans to buy tickets. Return of Silervstone, Montreal, and the other old tracks abandoned by Bernie. Did you see there appeared to be more people at quali in Barca than at the race day for China & Bahrain? The breakawy sounds appealing doen't it?

The big paying tracks will have a white elephant race and lose money, whilst the glamour would follow Ferrari & McLaren ... and the money would follow the glamour.

As for contracts, I'm sure the acocuntants could manipulate the existing racing companies into bankrupcy (sorry bernie, we can't afford it anymore) while the holding companies start up a new team in a new series.
Even if the track are signed up to bernie (are they? can't say monza or monaco organize another race and call it with a different name?), surely there are two sides to these contracts? IF F1 shows up with Formula Mercedes cars plus a couple of the newcomers, i suspect that would be grounds for getting out from the contracts and offering their services, at better conditions, to the Runaway Gang

Conceptual

If said breakaway teams were to simply run their 2008 cars with the 2009 slicks in 2010, we would see huge crowds wherever they scheduled a race.

The point being that these teams would not even NEED to design/build new cars for said breakaway series. They have killer cars that are already well evolved, and would have an immediate fanbase pull as well as media coverage.

As long as they keep the FOTA GP series out of iTV's hands, all should go well... :roll:

ISLAMATRON

who is to say that the breakaway series could get bridgestone tires? But then again it might open itself up a tire war.

Conceptual

ISLAMATRON wrote:who is to say that the breakaway series could get bridgestone tires? But then again it might open itself up a tire war.
You don't think that Bridgestone would follow Ferrari? And if the teams were to offer to purchase the BS 2009 (or 2010) F1 spec tyres, I don't see BS saying "No".