Lewis third, Jarno given 25s penalty > Trulli 3rd, Lewis DSQ

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo

Re: Lewis third, Jarno given 25s penalty > Trulli 3rd, Lewis DSQ

Good report but I hardly agree with the final point. DSQ after the race is nothing new and that "what's been guarantee is now a negotiation point" line is bullsh*t. Probably it is the first precedent that stewards' decision on racing incident was reversed (which is probably dangerous), but in that case it is probably more or less safe as it seems it has come from stewards themselves.

Chaparral

Well reading that crap I'd say Hamilton has no backbone whatsoever - he sold Dave Ryan down the river - for christ sake he's the bloody star driver of the team, he's of voting age and everything - just own up and say yes I thought it was a ok idea to go along with Ryan - not I was mislead - that's just crap - piss weak on Hamilton's part.

Autosport - Hamilton apologises for 'huge mistake'

By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde Friday, April 3rd 2009, 10:12 GMT

Lewis Hamilton has apologised to the FIA stewards and to his fans after what he labelled as a 'huge mistake' following the Australian Grand Prix.

The Briton was disqualified from the Melbourne race after the stewards deemed he and his McLaren team had lied following an incident with Toyota driver Jarno Trulli.

The incident had led to McLaren suspending sporting director David Ryan, who the team said was responsible for the misleading the stewards.

Hamilton said on Friday that he had no intention to lie to the stewards, and offered an apology to them, to the fans and to the media.

The world champion, who admitted the incident had taken a toll of him, also vowed to never let something like that happen again.

"In Melbourne, I had a great race. As soon as I got out the car I had the television interviews at the back of the garage, and straight away I gave them a good account of what happening during the race," Hamilton told a news conference.

"Straight after that we were requested by the stewards, and while waiting for the stewards I was instructed and misled by my team manager to withhold information, and that is what I did.

"I sincerely apologise to the stewards for wasting their time and for making them look silly. I am very, very sorry for the situation: for my team, for Dave because he has been a good member of the team for many years, and whilst I don't think it was his intention or...he is a good guy.

"I went into the meeting, I had no intention of...I just wanted to tell the story and say what happened. I was misled and that is the way it went.

"I would like to say a big sorry to all my fans who have believed in me, who have supported me for years, who I showed who I am for the past three years, and it is who I am. I am not a liar. I am not a dishonest person. I am a team player.

"Every time I have been informed to do something I have done it. This time I realise it was a huge mistake and I am learning from it. It has taken a huge toll on me.

"I apologise to you guys, I didn't speak to you yesterday, but there was a lot to take in and a lot to deal with. I am here to apologise to everyone and I assure you it won't happen again."
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

Shaddock

timbo wrote:
Shaddock wrote: I will stick by this:

The FIA are now trying to police people thoughts and intentions, not the actual racing that happened on the track.
So, what's your point on Rascassegate? Because the whole point of it was whether MS parked deliberately. So his punishment really depends on his thoughts and intentions.
Yes, but the point I'm making is that Lewis did not do anything wrong on the track. Shui parked/crashed his car, and so his intentions come in to question.

If the telemetry suggests that Lewis didn't change his driving behaviour when he was in front of Trulli, then FIA stewards are ignoring the facts of what happened on the track.

timbo

Shaddock wrote:If the telemetry suggests that Lewis didn't change his driving behaviour when he was in front of Trulli, then FIA stewards are ignoring the facts of what happened on the track.
He is DSQed because he and his team had hidden information without which it appeared that Trulli did wrong, so apparently they made matters for Trully to be DSQed. That has nothing to do with his driving.

DaveKillens

Chaparral wrote:"In Melbourne, I had a great race. As soon as I got out the car I had the television interviews at the back of the garage, and straight away I gave them a good account of what happening during the race," Hamilton told a news conference.

"Straight after that we were requested by the stewards, and while waiting for the stewards I was instructed and misled by my team manager to withhold information, and that is what I did.

"I sincerely apologise to the stewards for wasting their time and for making them look silly. I am very, very sorry for the situation: for my team, for Dave because he has been a good member of the team for many years, and whilst I don't think it was his intention or...he is a good guy.
Wow, there it is. Since this is not over as far as the FIA is concerned, McLaren have lined up their fall guy to take the bullet for Hamilton. The FIA have stated that further sanctions may be levied (possibly an exclusion from the entire 2009 season), and McLaren have found their whipping boy.
What goes on internally within any team is always held to the highest level of confidentiality. It is a very rare event when one team member (Hamilton) publicy states that another team member (Dave Ryan) advised him to do something inappropriate (lie). Just this act alone (divulging the innermost workings of a team) really lowers my opinion of Hamilton as a person. I have no doubt that Hamilton was under strict orders to make this statement, to implicate Ryan totally and paint him as the one totally responsible.
So Lewis Hamilton may be a very good driver. He is currently the WDC, and most likely will win more. He's that good. But as now revealed, he is not immune to the lowest levels of manipulation and deceit. Maybe he ought to think about a career in politics after racing. Or maybe selling used cars. Those people never lie to you, either.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Shaddock

DaveKillens wrote:
Chaparral wrote: Maybe he ought to think about a career in politics after racing. Or maybe selling used cars. Those people never lie to you, either.
Max can't go on forever, there will be a vacancy at the FIA soon :D

natef1

Yawn.

This is all getting so boring guys. Round and round in circles we go talking about how much you either hate or love Hamilton, and if you hate him why are there 15 pages devoted to him.. Yadayada.

Let's get back to racing.

blobslosak

=D> [-o< Amen to that [-o< =D>

jddh1

@ Shaddock.
Give it a rest already. They lied. Period.

Let's hope the racing is left to the racers and teams/drivers stop lying.

As far as Schumi in Monaca, we dont' know because the radios then were not public.

The FOZ

Here's what I can't figure out.

Had McLaren come clean from the start, and said "we thought he had to pass, so we let him", I think the Stewards would have penalized neither LH nor Trulli, since both made an equally minor mistake. At worst, they would have shuffled 3rd for 4th. At the extreme, they might have handed both a few seconds of penalty. But that's not likely.

What did McLaren have to gain by lying? This became ten times worse, first for Trulli, then for McLaren, as soon as they made the claim that he passed intentionally under the SC.

Why did they try to lie?

jddh1

The FOZ wrote:Here's what I can't figure out.

Had McLaren come clean from the start, and said "we thought he had to pass, so we let him", I think the Stewards would have penalized neither LH nor Trulli, since both made an equally minor mistake. At worst, they would have shuffled 3rd for 4th. At the extreme, they might have handed both a few seconds of penalty. But that's not likely.

What did McLaren have to gain by lying? This became ten times worse, first for Trulli, then for McLaren, as soon as they made the claim that he passed intentionally under the SC.

Why did they try to lie?
I totally agree with you. McL brought this to themselves. That's all there is to it.

Spencifer_Murphy

Well I watched a press conference with Lewis last night during the practice session. He says that apparently while waiting for Jarno to finish in the sewards room, he was "Instrcucted [as to what to say]" (by Dave Ryan, who accompanied Lewis to the stewards room). He said,
Lewis Hamilton wrote:"As a team member, when the team advises me to do something, I generally do it."

"I didn't have time to think about it, I went in and did it, I felt really awkward, I felt very uncomfortable, and I think the stewards could see that, and I guess that's why I'm in this position."
He has sounded very upset, but then goes on to say this, at one point not only sounding distressed (like how when someones voice go creeky when they're about to cry), but also visibly very upset saying:
Lewis Hamilton wrote:"I've never felt so bad. I'm not a liar, I've not gone through my life being a liar or dishonest, and so for people to be saying I'm dishonest or for the world to think that...what can I say?"
As a result of this Mclaren have suspended team manager, Dave Ryan.

Now somebody said earlier i this thread they thought Lewis might have been told what to say, the argument was, Why would he though...the answer is two-fold:
A) They pay his wages, and will always have the "Who gave you a shot in F1" argument.
B) He's naive, and will do what the team tell him.

I hope this issue resolves item B because he's better than that. For him to come forward and admit as much I find commendable. Obviously he cocked up by telling the lies he was told to tell, but I am a firm believer that a man is not judged by his mistakes, but rather by how he responds to them.

Lewis has responded well in my opinion, and my respect for the Mclarem team has droped down a few more rungs.

On a side note, I'm pleased we finally have some proof that he lied (he's admitting it) although the more cinical may argue that "He's been told to admit guilt to lessen any FIA punishments" - I don't buy that, he's been "told" enough things to say this weekend.

It just shocks me, that the proof should come from the perpetrator (Lewis) and not the innocent party (he FIA). The FIA clearly had nothing to hide...so why did they.

He does on to say:
"I was very awkward and I think the stewards could see that
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Spencifer_Murphy

jddh1 wrote:I totally agree with you. McL brought this to themselves. That's all there is to it.
Agreed, or more specifically, Dave Ryan bought this on the team, and Lewis, in his naive trust of all things Mclaren, acted wrongly and out of charachter.

If you can find a clip of the press conference I highly recommend watching it, He's so emotiononal...there's no Mclaren PR work going on there. You really do feel like your getting the truth from somebody in F1 (for once).

Spencifer_Murphy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 981273.stm

The press conference I was talking about. It's only avaliable to UK users, but if you can get a proxy... :wink: I said nothing :mrgreen: