Lewis third, Jarno given 25s penalty > Trulli 3rd, Lewis DSQ

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Lewis third, Jarno given 25s penalty > Trulli 3rd, Lewis DSQ

timbo wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:He was already penalised points... for something that happened off track... has it happened before?
But the whole story actually does not have precedents. Nobody had been caught telling lies to earn a position.
Or were they telling lies not to lose any positions? We all know about the FIA vendetta towards McLaren, maybe they thought they would be penalised for letting JT pass again, or for passing him in the first place. Regardless, they acted stupidly, and the whole situation was handled even more stupidly by the FIA.

nae
nae

i dont see what the whole big issue with lying is

max did it when telling his wife his weekend plans

bernie does it when projecting a circuits possible income

politicians do it when they are awake

its done all the time

it isnt a crime until your caught (apparntly)

had the stewards only looked at the EVIDENCE first

ho humm

bad bad mclaren evil Denis, evil non white driver

foot in full view, target locked, FIRE
..?

chrys

Press Release
World Motor Sport Council 29/04/2009

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pr ... 90409.aspx

At an extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council held in Paris on 29 April 2009, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes admitted five charges of breaching article 151c of the International Sporting Code relating to events at the Australian and Malaysian Grands Prix.

The following decision was taken:

“Having regard to the open and honest way in which McLaren Team Principal, Mr Martin Whitmarsh, addressed the WMSC and the change in culture which he made clear has taken place in his organisation, the WMSC decided to suspend the application of the penalty it deems appropriate.

“That penalty is a suspension of the team from three races of the FIA Formula One World Championship. This will only be applied if further facts emerge regarding the case or if, in the next 12 months, there is a further breach by the team of article 151c of the International Sporting Code.”

nae
nae

:shock: :shock:

wow a well thought out penalty
..?

hulmerist

wow, that's way lighter than i thought would be given and probably what is deserved

a fine as well at least i thought of a few million

but still, good for the sport and good for the hamiltron that he still gets to race

can't help feeling max and bernie were a tad worried by mercedes' comments regarding pulling out

JamesS

Right, so to clarify, they were going to receive a three race ban, but the penalty is suspended (much in the same way you might receive a suspended jail sentence) and if they get in any more trouble or additonal evidence comes to light proving more people were involved in the lie cover up, they'll then be banned from the three races?

So no additional punishment, as it stands now?

Sawtooth-spike

will that be the next 3 races then?

Will Mclaren even turn up? If they do can they still test on friday?

On the brightside, think of the savings on there carbon footprint.

EDIT: Ignore me, i miss read it.
Last edited by Sawtooth-spike on 29 Apr 2009, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

axle

JamesS wrote:Right, so to clarify, they were going to receive a three race ban, but the penalty is suspended (much in the same way you might receive a suspended jail sentence) and if they get in any more trouble or additonal evidence comes to light proving more people were involved in the lie cover up, they'll then be banned from the three races?

So no additional punishment, as it stands now?
Correct - the sentence is only applicable within the next 12 months. So for 12 months they must keep their noses clean or face a 3 race ban.
- Axle

Gonner

Basically, they musn't lie to the Ferrari International Assistance during the next twelve months. Bernie realised that losing Mercedes would make him less rich than he currently is and told it to Adolf Mosley. Wahoo, what an intelligent guy.

Apart from that, he said that a jewish black girl driver would be " so cool ", that Alonso is stupid because he doesn't promote F1 enough...

I still don't understand why the pair Bernie-Max can still be at the top of F1 :cry:

freedom_honda

I think the 3 races ban is a bit too much. 1 Race would have been fine.

xpensive

I have this funny feeling that Mercedes' 1.86 GUSD quarter-loss, as reported only yesterday, could perhaps have been helpful with the decision on a suspended ban? But that's me.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

DaveKillens

Taking into account the fact that the FIA totally mishandled this issue from the very beginning, it's understandable that they pull back from dishing out a draconian penalty to McLaren.
McLaren were found guilty, that is now a fact. And I believe the punishment is on hold because of my reasons listed on the first sentence.

Here'a a quote from the decision ... "Having regard to the open and honest way in which McLaren Team Principal, Mr Martin Whitmarsh, addressed the WMSC, and the change in culture which he made clear has taken place in his organisation, the WMSC decided to suspend the application of the penalty it deems appropriate."

Change in culture? Does that really refer to the fact that Ron Dennis has divorced himself from Formula One? Let's just sit back and see how this unfolds. But my personal theory is that we will never see Ron Dennis personally attend any more Formula One events.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

WhiteBlue

I would not agree with that. F1 is a very traditional sport and it's former players are always welcome to spice up the show. I do not think that Dennis will be able to stay away nor that he will be asked to stay away. In order to make the new order plausible he will probably have to make a big cut back. But I cannot see him stay away from Monaco this year.

Regarding the penalty I must say that McLaren took the clever decision to eat humble pie. If they had challenged the world counsil this would certainly have been more ugly. Remember the two race ban Schumacher and Briatore got for not obeying the black flag. It was a small transgression with a hefty penalty triggered by Briatore's foolish rebellion.

Hopefully they will not have another "disgruntled" employee in the next 12 months.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

DaveKillens

I'm going out on a limb over Ron Dennis, but somehow I sense that the fundamental antagonism between Max Mosley and Ron Dennis is the root cause behind this entire affair.
Max allows McLaren to live another day, but he probably did not do it without conditions and restrictions. A lot of the FIA's business goes on behind closed dooors, and I'm sure that Whitmarsh is aware that the presence of Ron Dennis will provoke a retaliation by Max.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

modbaraban

This is a joke. FIA are saying that you should break 151c at least 3 times in 2 years to face any DQ :lol: =D>
nae wrote: :shock: :shock:

wow a well thought out penalty
Yes. I think Max got himself a new ally in pushing his marasmic ideas :wink: