Would you follow Ferrari & Renault if they split?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

If Ferrari and Renault create a new series, would you follow it?

Yes, definitely
54%
It depends on the drivers they have
2%
It depends on the manufactures they have
4%
No, I would stick to F1
2%
I would follow both series, F1 and the new one
33%
I don't know
6%

Total votes: 54

xpensive
xpensive

Re: Would you follow Ferrari & Renault if they split?

Now that WB has dismissed the idea of a 3-liter, high-tech, prototype sportscar series, I am more convinced than ever. :wink:

Can you begin to imagine the impact of such a series, if it included Ferrari, Renault, Toyota, Peugeot, Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes and BMW, including the top driver-names?

Guess they have to tweak it a little like the ALMS, with sprint-rases and such, but Sebring, Daytona, Monza, Silverstone and Le Mans should remain endurance.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

andartop
andartop

As long as they make sure NOT to use any Tilke tracks they can't get it far wrong! Old Hockenheimring would be nice, A1 ring, Brands Hatch, Brno, Estoril, San Marino, Zandvoort...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

xpensive
xpensive

Tilke could possibly design the parkinglots, if you ask me.

But Interlagos, Elkhart Lake, Clermont-Ferrand, Anderstorp...ooops!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

gibells
gibells

I voted that I'd watch both. To be honest, I watch whatever motorsport I can. Best racing anywhere/anytime? That would be the Supersport 600cc bikes without a hesitation.

Back to point: How about 600kg. Wheels covered or not- teams decide best aero. As much ground effect as you want, but no rear wings. Single seat. 3L displacement (any no. of cylinders), no diesels. Size no bigger that current F1 cars.

Tracks? Assen (old), Silverstone, Monza, Hockenheim Montreal, Portimao, Suzuka, Lemans, Indy oval, Donington, Macau, Monaco, Singapore, Not too sure about Nurburgring- don't really want any deaths in the trees.

(all minus stupid chicanes).

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

modbaraban wrote:I read some speculations that Ferrari could buy A1GP instead.
Assuming that this low probability scenario unfolds, that would be a good thing for a breakaway series. A1GP already has tracks, TV coverage, and the infrastructure in place. Their season runs during the F1 off-season, so any breakaway team(s) could swiftly transition over without loss of exposure to the public.
One spin-off action would be the tracks, and how brutally Bernie treats them. The list is long and I'm sure they would love to tell Bernie to go pound salt. Imagine hosting a prestigous formula race without having to suffer a severe financial punishment. Italy, Germany, France, Great Britain, Australia, Canada, USA, and many others could find themselves in the position of regularly hosting a race on an annual basis without Bernie perpetually threatening to pull the series because he doesn't get enough money from them.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

gcdugas

Mercedes and the FOTA/FIA row....

The FIA may think that recent headlines concerning Mercedes wanting to stay in F1 Clicky will stem the tide against them but they should think again. This "support" from Mercedes is paper thin because the right questions haven't been asked...

I will not presume to answer for Mercedes. I will only ask the questions and then let the reader decide.

1.) If all the other manufacturers leave F1 and set up a rival series, would Mercedes want to be seen racing their peers meritoriously or would they want to be seen as the sole engine supplier in the crumbling remains of a defunct series of kit car spec racers?

2.) If Mercedes would want to race their peers in a new rival GP series, would they want to be passive participants having no say in the rules, organization, determination of funds distribution, participate in the commercial rights etc.

3.) If they would want to have a determining hand in such a series with their manufacturing rivals, would they leave their $100M friend Max Mosley and the ashes of F1 completely to compete in a series that has the cache of Alonso, Vettel, Ferrari, Renault, Toyota, BMW?

Let the reader decide....
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

panchito401
panchito401

I love the idea of a new closed wheel prototype series with the engineering talent and manufacturer backing that formula 1 provides! I would also think this type of series would amount to more real world advertising for the auto manufacturers and more racing derived technology moving up to road car use. And a hell of alot more involvement from other manufacturers.

This leaves a privateer like Williams out to dry from an engine standpoint, but nothing says you couldn't run leased BMW, Merc or dare I say it... maybe a Cadillac or Ford??? I think this type of racing is more friendly toward an American audience also - not that I think that matters too much. I still love F1 even though they don't race here, but I would like to be able to see a race without leaving the continent... Laguna Seca maybe?

I'm also for getting rid of the Tilke tracks. I really hate all of them. I'd like to see more new street courses in urban areas as well as the old F1 tracks I grew to love the sport watching in the 90's.

I really hate the direction that F1 is going lately. all the talk of spec engines, gearboxes, suspensions, ECUs - stupid points system ideas... shitty tracks. How can you push the envelope when everything is the same?

I do think the biggest obstacle would be your top drivers to want to change over to a closed wheel prototype series. If I spent my entire childhood idolizing the likes of Senna and Schumacher, then chances are I am going to want to drive an F1 car more than anything else. I suppose if you start talking big big money, you could change alot of minds though.

Great idea IMHO.