Martin Brundle: "Jenson Button is the most complete driver"

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GrizzleBoy

Re: Martin Brundle: "Jenson Button is the most complete driv

marcush. wrote:Jenson is not smashed up by perez ,in the same ways as he was not smashed up by hamilton,you are dreaming if you claim otherwise.
Holy Hamilton finds himself in a similar situation at MGP now with Britney .No sign of his bag of completeness going to gain the upper hand in the team duel.As was the case with alonso and Button ...the single guy he had in the bag was Kovalainen .

reality is: not Alonso ,not Hamilton, not Button and not Vettel will win aything without competitive and reliable machinery it´s as simple as that .Vettel does owe his row of titles Neweys genius and RBs ability to produce reliability combined with genius.Alonso is constantly performing and rarely drops the ball ,Ferraris just don´t break but this is not enough to win a single title....Hamilton could not win the silverware mainly due to Mclarens inability to bring the car home constanly without hickups.
Jenson was beat up pretty hard last year tbh. Much harder than any time when Jenson performed better than Lewis.
Aggregate points do not tell the whole story.

Perez only seems to be getting stronger in terms of performance vs Button as the season progresses tbh.

gibells

With Perez I think it just proves the point that Jenson only really nails it when the car is hooked up, and in this team-mate duel the car certainly hasn't been hooked up. The gap between him and Hamilton was always large when the car had problems.

I'm sure he will show his class when they get the 28 sorted.

sennafan24

GrizzleBoy wrote: Jenson was beat up pretty hard last year tbh. Much harder than any time when Jenson performed better than Lewis.
Aggregate points do not tell the whole story.
This

Although head to head last year, I think any driver on the grid would struggle to outperform Lewis. Outperforming and outscoring are not always the same thing.

Lewis made Jenson look B-Level in 2012, more so than the points would suggest due to the pure bad luck Lewis had. For me Lewis was the better driver on merit in the 3 years they had together, except for the second half of 2011 when Lewis lost his head and Jenson went on the best streak of his career.

marcush.

Again ,the claim was most complete driver not quickest ,right?

sennafan24

marcush. wrote:Again ,the claim was most complete driver not quickest ,right?
Yeah, but I would not agree with that either.

Quickest = Lewis

Most complete = Alonso

Jenson is the best at adapting to mixed conditions, I will give him that.

Phil

sennafan24 wrote:Jenson is the best at adapting to mixed conditions, I will give him that.
Is he really? I find this extremely hard to argue one way or the other. In the last couple of years in the races that Jenson did shine in mixed conditions, he was usually in a better position to take a risk and reap the reward. A similar example IMO is comparing Perez to Kobayashi - Kobayashi as far as I remember was usually quicker in qualifying, yet that ended up hindering his chances as Perez took a gamble with an alternative strategy and ended up in front.

I see Jensons good results in mixed conditions similar: It's easier to take a gamble when you're either further behind the grid because you failed to qualify to the potential of your car or find yourself struggling on a tyre that doesn't work for you. In fact, Jenson switched to tyres many times because he was going backwards and ended up on the right tyre in the right moment. Everyone remembers these events, hence the belief "Jenson is the best at adapting to mixed conditions" but there are also examples where such a gamble didn't pay off and he ended up going backwards, which most seem to forget.

Even in Canada where Button had one of his best victories in a car that was set up perfectly for the conditions - Hamilton was the one pushing and ended up in the wall while trying to overtake Jenson. There's also another example of a GP (I think Hungary) where Lewis was in front and had priority on the pitstop - conditions were difficult and it wasn't clear if the rain would become worse or better. Hamilton went into the pits, forcing Button to stay out longer and that eventually turned out to be the better choice, as the track improved. Surely, there's an element of luck here.

Now, this is not to take anything away from Button - he is an incredibly skilled driver and what he lacks in qualifying performance or being able to 'drive around issues' at times, he makes up by experience and excellent choices. He certainly is one of those drivers that can play the "long game" and is thus a very valuable consistant point scorer.

Having that all said, I do agree that Button is brilliant in mixed conditions, and I'm not arguing that anyone else is better - but I just think that a lot of past events that do support this argument are flattering his achievements because they were also down to good fortune, being in the right place, right time to make such a decision.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

marcush.

nah.
Lewis got a dose of Rosberg already this year .Quickest is quickest .always and against all odds ..Hamilton is not humilating Britney as he was not humilating Button .He had events he was fair and squre quicker but that ´s not enough .

peanutaxis

And Martin Brundle normally talks such sense. He's way off the mark with his comment about Button.

As far as I'm concerned Jensen Button is the 2009 World Champion of.....Barichello.

sennafan24

marcush. wrote:nah.
Lewis got a dose of Rosberg already this year .Quickest is quickest .always and against all odds ..Hamilton is not humilating Britney as he was not humilating Button .He had events he was fair and squre quicker but that ´s not enough .
Lewis is not showing up Rosberg but he is now outperforming him the majority of the time.

Button in 2010/2011, went back and forth out performing Lewis, but in 2012 I would go as far to say that performance wise Lewis did show him up, more so than the points difference would reflect. The vast majority of weekends he had the measure of Button by a hefty margin.

marcush.

James allen supplied a summary of the three years:

"Hamilton v Button stats compared (highest respective tally in bold)

Qualifying
Faster qualifying time: Hamilton 44 / Button 14
Poles: Hamilton 9 / Button 1
Front rows: Hamilton: 23 / Button 9

Races
Wins: Hamilton 10 / Button 8
Podiums: Hamilton 22 / Button 25
Points finishes: Hamilton 45 / Button 47
DNFs: Hamilton 13 / Button 8
Best race result (inc DNFs): Hamilton 32 / Button 26
Ahead in two-car finish: Hamilton 24 / Button 13

Championship
Overall points: Hamilton 657 / Button 672
Seasons finished higher in standings: Hamilton 2 / Button 1
Highest championship placing: Hamilton 4th (2010, 2012) / Button 2nd (2011

"
surprisingly Hamilton has just 5 dnfs more than Button in that time.One could argue that everytime it cost him a win but then you first have to finish...,right?
another surprise is the fact Hamilton left mclaren at the right time for him as it looks .

Pierce89

marcush. wrote:James allen supplied a summary of the three years:

Qualifying

Races

Championship

"
surprisingly Hamilton has just 5 dnfs more than Button in that time.One could argue that everytime it cost him a win but then you first have to finish...,right?
another surprise is the fact Hamilton left mclaren at the right time for him as it looks .
Theses stats plus the knowledge of Hamilton's luck in 2010 and 2012 show me that Hamilton was indeed superior. There ought to be a category for points lost due to car problems. Though one look at the numbers might make Hamilton apoplectic at the number of his points Macca wasted.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

SilverArrow10

Qualifying

Races

Championship

"
I can think of one guarantied 2nd, two firsts and one possible firsts that Hamilton has lost due to car problems. I also hate the fact that if he got that 2nd place he would have won the championship in 2010.

JB was driving at his best in 2011, he drove better then than in 2009 and the second part of 2009 was pretty poor for him, and its a shame when his championship will really be tainted by his performance when the car was no longer a second faster than the competition in the latter parts of that year. Its true JB is very good, he is a world champion after all. But in my opinion he is the weakest of the world champions on the grid but easily still one of the top 6 drivers in the world.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

SectorOne

Qualifying

Races

Championship

"
Knowing the various stories like 2011-2012 i´d say Hamilton comfortably destroyed Button.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

sennafan24

If you look at 2012, Lewis retired in the lead 3 times. Twice due to gearbox problems, and once due to Hulkenberg in Brazil.

There were not many weekends in 2012 where Button outperformed Lewis, he did in the race in Australia and in Qualifying at Spa, but that is all I can recall. He also was better in mixed conditions in Brazil near the start of the race, once it was full wet Lewis was as usual quicker. I am sure there were a few more instances where Button was better in 2012, but in a 20 race season they were greatly outweighed.

Anyway, back on subject.

"Most complete"

I would say that is Alonso on the current grid, he performs to a high quality in every area, Button is a jack of all trades he is a underrated qualifier as shown against Perez this year, it was just Lewis's staggering one lap pace making him look average. Button is a decent strategist in the race, and this allows him to perform well in mixed conditions and other situations where strategy is important.

Thing is though, Alonso does all this and to a higher level in my opinion. I would say Alonso is a bit quicker in one lap pace and race pace, and more consistent. I find it hard pressed to say anything Button is better than compared to Alonso. Maybe adapting to mixed conditions, but there is a good argument above to counter even that.

"Most complete" does not always mean best in my eyes, just like outpointing does not mean outperforming. There are too many variables to measure. For example Ayrton Senna in the late 80's was not as well rounded and in 1989 did not outscore Prost, but he did outperform him more times than Prost outperformed Senna. DNF's due to bad fortune and points system distort the amount of points being a fair reflection.

For me the most talented on the grid is Lewis, "the best" very hard and with a certain amount of bias due to being a fan I will go with Lewis as my number one. But "most complete" I go with Alonso.

SectorOne

I think you are spot on, nice post.

I´ve always said this, Hamilton for me is the fastest drivers since Senna.
Alonso, undoubtedly the best. I mena he´s got the full package.

So for me it comes down to fastest vs best. And i choose fastest and i think Hamilton in equal cars would trump anyone.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"