So what happened to the new teams?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DaveKillens

Re: So what happened to the new teams?

timbo wrote:So, seems like already much more than 13. Who's gonna get dumped?
That's the scary part... anyone who makes a firm commitment to the sport.. as in.. anyone willing to sign the Concorde and willing to assume the new changes in rules by Max in the near future? Ferrari are currently going to race, but they still state they will not accept a budget cap. So who is acceptable to Max? Anyone willing to live under a budget cap.

Ferrari may have submitted their entry for 2010, but that doesn't mean it will automatically be accepted. It could be a bombshell if Max rejects them and places a new team on the list because Ferrari are unwilling to commit past 2010.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

jddh1

ISLAMATRON wrote:If the decision was based purely on looks Patrick still should NOT get the seat.
I wholeheartedly disagree.

If the decision was based on looks, for me, she would be on pole position each race and win wire-to-wire.

jddh1

DaveKillens wrote:
timbo wrote:So, seems like already much more than 13. Who's gonna get dumped?
That's the scary part... anyone who makes a firm commitment to the sport.. as in.. anyone willing to sign the Concorde and willing to assume the new changes in rules by Max in the near future? Ferrari are currently going to race, but they still state they will not accept a budget cap. So who is acceptable to Max? Anyone willing to live under a budget cap.

Ferrari may have submitted their entry for 2010, but that doesn't mean it will automatically be accepted. It could be a bombshell if Max rejects them and places a new team on the list because Ferrari are unwilling to commit past 2010.
I think you're right. It will be a bombshell if Max rejects them. But at the same time he's willing to talk to them because he doesn't want Ferrari to leave so I don't see that happening.

However, since we have some many new teams trying to enter why not allow the smaller teams to run only one car?

DaveKillens

because he doesn't want Ferrari to leave
That was then, how about right now? No doubt Bernie does not want to see Ferrari gone. But if Max rejects Ferrari because they are unwilling to commit long-term to the sport, he has a logical reason for his decision. And if he does, it would drive a nail in the heart of FOTA, and whip any survivors into line quickly. And the timing would be perfect, since the other teams have made a commitment, and could not rationalize pulling out of Formula One because Ferrari did not get their ticket punched.
With so many prospective teams lined up to participate, Max now has a reserve, and can substitute "difficult" teams for those willing to live under his management style.
I have watched Formula One since the late 60's. Teams come and go, but the show goes on, regardless of who plays the game. Maybe it's time to consider the possibility that Ferrari may soon join the lists of other great teams now long gone. For example, the team to first register 50 wins, Lotus, last won a WDC in 1978. 1994 was the last year Lotus was in Formula One. And today, no one talks about them.
I do not want Ferrari gone, they have a wonderful history in Formula One. But this saga is not completely played out, and there's more going to happen. Max now has the upper hand, and whenever that vindictive person has a chance, he punishes those who stand against him.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Paul

RML decides against 2010 F1 entry

That's a shame...NOT. I'm actually scared that a bunch of teams with unknown business plans and perspectives are going to fill F1 exploiting the image that was created by manufacturers and top-funded private teams spending hundreds of millions just to earn some easy cash and then see what happens next, obviously not feeling any moral obligations...

jddh1

DaveKillens wrote:
because he doesn't want Ferrari to leave
That was then, how about right now? No doubt Bernie does not want to see Ferrari gone. But if Max rejects Ferrari because they are unwilling to commit long-term to the sport, he has a logical reason for his decision. And if he does, it would drive a nail in the heart of FOTA, and whip any survivors into line quickly. And the timing would be perfect, since the other teams have made a commitment, and could not rationalize pulling out of Formula One because Ferrari did not get their ticket punched.
With so many prospective teams lined up to participate, Max now has a reserve, and can substitute "difficult" teams for those willing to live under his management style.
I have watched Formula One since the late 60's. Teams come and go, but the show goes on, regardless of who plays the game. Maybe it's time to consider the possibility that Ferrari may soon join the lists of other great teams now long gone. For example, the team to first register 50 wins, Lotus, last won a WDC in 1978. 1994 was the last year Lotus was in Formula One. And today, no one talks about them.
I do not want Ferrari gone, they have a wonderful history in Formula One. But this saga is not completely played out, and there's more going to happen. Max now has the upper hand, and whenever that vindictive person has a chance, he punishes those who stand against him.
Perhaps you're right. Max might want to oust Ferrari after all. But I think every one should know that if they do go, so does the prestige of F1. It might not be immediately, but in 3-4 years, it will become like the IRL: irrelevant in the major racing circuits.

I would like all of the F1 Tech users to know though, that Max is not in F1 to stay. He will eventually retire or die from incredibly intensive sex romps. The fact of the matter is that Ferrari has outlasted various FIA directors, multiple commercial rights' holders and have earned, at least in my humble opinion, the right to at least have a say in the direction F1 needs to go.

And let me add, I think the teams, all of them, must choose the direction they go into. I think Max is stepping outside the boundaries as the FIA should not be more than an entity policing the rules agreed upon by the teams. I think the FIA and The Bernie are in the wrong when they talk about changing rules. They can only propose them, but not change them. Last time I checked, they are not running a car out there, or even drive one.

Perhaps I'm wrong and too idealistic in my beliefs as to where everyone fits in this circus. It does not hurt to hope for the best though. Never!

ISLAMATRON

jddh1 wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:If the decision was based purely on looks Patrick still should NOT get the seat.
I wholeheartedly disagree.

If the decision was based on looks, for me, she would be on pole position each race and win wire-to-wire.
Well it seems your taste in women is as bad as your taste in F1 teams...I guess even unattractive women need love too, and if you are willing then more good looking women for me.

She looks like a 10 year old boy with long hair, but hey some guys like that.

andartop

=D> =D>
Really useful comments.
Also, Lewis Hamilton is black, Felippe Massa short and David Coulthard Scottish.
Can we grow up now?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

donskar

Dave, paul, and jddh1, thank you for some intelligent posts. Haven't seen many lately.

Dave, like you, I have followed F1 since the 60s, beginning roughly with Phil Hill's championship for Ferrari. You are mostly right when you say some great names are gone, but Brabham, Cooper, BRM, Lotus, et al simply ceased to exist (I feel that Lotus exists in name only) -- Ferrari will go on for the foreseeable future, making their potential absence from F1 more telling.

Like me, you might recall that "manufacturer teams" are not a recent phenomenon in F1: the 60s and 70s saw teams from Honda, Porsche, Alfa, and BRM, with some Ford backing for Lotus. Those teams used their resources rather badly in most cases, but they did have significantly more resources than most of the other teams. Good small teams have always been able to compete with some success against the big guys.

As for Bernie eliminating "difficult" teams, that would fit his lack of ethics, but I wonder if FOTA will hang together. They are saying "all in or all out." Could be interesting.

Paul, you've brought up a VERY interesting point. Max and Bernie seem to be in F1 only for the money, no matter what damage they may cause the sport. Why shouldn't new entrants adopt their values?
to earn some easy cash and then see what happens next, obviously not feeling any moral obligations
Jddh1, you are idealistic, but not wrong, IMHO.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Richard

DaveKillens wrote:.... And the timing would be perfect, since the other teams have made a commitment, and could not rationalize pulling out of Formula One because Ferrari did not get their ticket punched.
The public pronouncements from FOTA inferred the conditional entries were one for all, and all for one.

Of course what is said in F1 rarely tells the whole truth. I'd love to see those entry forms, I wonder if the conditional entries really were identical and collective, it sounds too good to be true.

Giblet

An entry to the championship is not conditional, so by FOTA going ahead and making a conditional entry their applications are technically null and void, if Max wants, according to Sylt's interpretation of the rules.

This is just another ace that Max has up his sleeve unfortunately.

Is this what is going on? Max can do what he wants at this point?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

donskar

Is this what is going on? Max can do what he wants at this point?
Yes, unless FOTA can prevent it. As (I hope) my signature attests, I try to see both sides of a position. This time I have a hard time giving Max much credence.

If Max wins, we have the sport we love (often too much!) run by a person of questionable motives and even more questionable character. (Max sycophants, don't bother -- I will not reply to your posts.)

If FOTA wins . . . well, who knows? We DO know that FOTA has made it very plain in public that they are willing to compromise and want to cooperate with Max, that they want to reduce costs and want to help new teams. Their offers have been met by silence.

Will FOTA remain united? Highly unlikely. But also unlikely they will all back down. BMW might be happy to have an excuse to leave. They are spending many millions at the wrong time, and they are consistently losing. The same can be said of Toyota. They are VERY worried about their numbers. Renault (Ghosn the bean-counter) are ready to go in any event. Ferrari could leave F1 for a number of reasons, ranging from good (the economy) to bad (Luca's ego). Red Bull could very well leave for sound economic reasons -- their investment in F1 will be devalued as F1 loses its panache (and its audience). Red Bull has the money, and will spend it, but ask yourself: will a watered down F1 be the best place to spend it?

So what can we reasonably expect? Brawn and Williams and possibly McLaren overwhelming a handful of new teams, who -- with the best intentions -- will not be competitive for at least a season or two (or three or four). Will megasponsors be attracted to teams that might as well be called "NoNamo." Will you?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WhiteBlue

donskar wrote:.... BMW might be happy to have an excuse to leave. They are spending many millions at the wrong time, and they are consistently losing. ....... Red Bull could very well leave for sound economic reasons -- their investment in F1 will be devalued as F1 loses its panache (and its audience). Red Bull has the money, and will spend it, but ask yourself: will a watered down F1 be the best place to spend it?...

BMW were competitive only four races ago. They will get there again. They have no intention to quit F1 going by their communications to the press.

Red Bull would love to have more control of the commercial side of F1 but have enough business sense to stick with the current management in a crunch.

Each of the FOTA teams know that they can put in a perfectly valid late application until the decision is published on June 12th. Be prepared to see FOTA unity crumble like a sand castle when they each take care of their own business.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Chaparral

Theres a long way to go yet scenario could be that it would be in FOTA's interest to stick to their guns and force Mosley's hand and worst case one in all in and not run in 2010 with maybe an alternative series - would anyone watch F1 with a bunch of hobbled together possible entrant teams and maybe a few other GP2 teams that upscale their operations that they would bring into the capped series - no Ferrari no Mclaren no RRB no STR no Renault no Toyota no BMW no Brawn no Force India - it would kill F1 stone dead - Mosley and FOTA know it and no one would watch it thats for sure. FOTA I think has the upper hand here - the longer they hold out the worse it is for Mosely and finalising his proposed capped regs and in finding enough runners for 2010 in the event FOTA stay put and no compromise is found - however one blink by FOTA and it will fall over though.
To be honest with Red Bull they could be well served by taking their $400-500 mil they spend PA in F1 - taking over the IRL on Tony George's behalf and sponsoring the series with new chassis' and various power plants regs and renaming the series 'The Grand Prix World Series' or 'The Grand Prix World Championship' and making it work in America the biggest market of all as F1 will have no future there for a long time if ever - Red Bull has clout the IRL does not so you could see a total turn around in media interest and TV rights on a decent network. I dont know guys Im just thinking outside the square - would be nice to see BMW Brawn Toyota RBR Mclaren Ferrari etal involved - hey that would pique my interest immensely would it not for most :)
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

Richard

Chaparral wrote:renaming the series 'The Grand Prix World Series' or 'The Grand Prix World Championship' and making it work in America
Please, please , please .. not another sporting "world series" that only includes America!