ban the wings?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Re: ban the wings?

richard_leeds wrote:Small problem is that relying on ground effect for most of your downforce kills people. Your car is trundling along at 200mph, nicely stuck to the road. Then there is a collision, or you go onto the grass. The ground effect is lost, no downforce and you have the momentum of 200mph but the braking capacity of very little downforce.
The same problem exists in NASCAR stock cars, when they get sideways. They rely on a lot less aero than a Formula One car, but once they get sideways, it becomes a very unstable lump of metal. That is why NASCASR stock cars have flaps that deploy to avoid bad roll overs.

For the record, wings first appeared in Formula One in 1967.

Fans are used to seeing a Formula One car with wings. If you remove them, it's like watching a woman with no breasts.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Richard
Richard

DaveKillens wrote: Fans are used to seeing a Formula One car with wings. If you remove them, it's like watching a woman with no breasts.
I agree, although the popularity of Keira Knightley indicates that wingless F1 might have some viability! :o

machin

As long as the cars look really cool and there's great racing I think the majority of the people who actually watch F1 (rather than us engineers talking about it -who are a minority) won't care care very much at all that the wings have gone/are much smaller....

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Scotracer
Scotracer

The Sharkfin is redundant on that car...it's just wasted carbon fibre on it.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

machin

That "wasted" carbon fibre is worth about Β£40M in advertising space! Hardly wasted!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry.. being more technical... it does actually move the centre of pressure backwards, therefore promoting in-line stability. Without the Rear wing end plate to provide this I think the car might tend to be a bit "lively".
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Scotracer
Scotracer

You have a point about in-line stability. I was merely referring to the current use of such an appendage (rear wing efficiency).
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

bjpower
bjpower

should bits be allowed on the side of the car?
barge boards etc.
as the wheels are going to cause turbalance for the cars behind should flip ups be allowed infront of them?
( to a point we dont want big huge winfs attached just in front of the wheels) but just little intresting aero bits

outer_bongolia

wesley123 wrote:Banning wings isnt the smartest thing to do, it is actually similair of banning wheels. Actually, banning the diffuser is an idea, i believe the diffuser created a big part of the wake behin a car if im correct.
I like this idea a lot... =D>

A flat bottom will also ensure that we all aero developments would be visible.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

PlatinumZealot

I sorta like looking on the driver helmets but i also like the canopy.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Pingguest
Pingguest

Banning diffusers would be a better idea, I think. Underbodies create a longer wake than wings do.

xpensive
xpensive

Backk to the early 80s with full-blown venturis and sliding skirts. You will see some serious action betweeen the drivers who can handle it.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Callum

just an idea... what would happen if the cars were completely overpowered for the tyres/chasis. Anyone think this would provide good racing?

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Callum wrote:just an idea... what would happen if the cars were completely overpowered for the tyres/chasis. Anyone think this would provide good racing?
This situation does exist, but in this application, it is the driving surface that has low traction. Just watch ice racing, rally, rallycross, or dirt track racing.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Max_Headroom
Max_Headroom

We know that F1 cars without wings can't happen (again) but just take a look at the Brabham BT49 without front wings and with skirts. Wasn't it just a good looking car. Didn't do too badly either. :cry:

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Max_Headroom wrote:We know that F1 cars without wings can't happen (again) but just take a look at the Brabham BT49 without front wings and with skirts. Wasn't it just a good looking car. Didn't do too badly either. :cry:

Good looking and good racing are different.
I think it misses not so much to make actual racing cars to provide good racing. German GP did not have a lot of overtakings but cars were able to follow each other rather close.