what university ???

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
skuty

what university ???

I am only 13 years old, but I am very interest in car technology. When I will be adult I want to work in F1, but unfortunately I must pass university. What is the best university,where can I study?
Thank you for all ideas

Jersey Tom

Re: what university ???

Have to do high school first, no?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Scotracer

The chances of you getting into F1 as a graduate are very low too - the teams in general don't do graduate placements and the like. It's best if you go to a reputable university that is within reasonable distance and then just work from there.

That's what I'm doing/did; I got my Bachelors at one of the UK's top engineering universities and now am working on a partnership with a car manufacturer to get my Masters and experience. Maybe F1 in 5 years - here's hoping.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

skuty

Jersey Tom wrote:Have to do high school first, no?
Yes, I know, but I cooperate with the best czech technical university, I help in Formula SAE team and in Loprais Dakar team. I do not spend much time at high school.

jddh1

skuty wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:Have to do high school first, no?
Yes, I know, but I cooperate with the best czech technical university, I help in Formula SAE team and in Loprais Dakar team. I do not spend much time at high school.
DO NOT make the mistake of focusing too much on other things and not doing well in High School. You have to do well there if you want to join a good university. You have to find a balance.

midzt

Depending on what you what to go into when you go into F1, if you want a technical role you need to do well at Uni and get decent grades to get into that uni. Either do Engineering straight, or Mech Eng.
The hands-on experience is all well and good, but you need to understand the engineering behind it as well
I'm currently doing Automotive Eng, and am about to finish my placement at Merc-HPE.
I know for a fact a lot of team in the UK, if not all of them do placement/graduate schemes.
They may not advertise everywhere/every uni but they definately do -McLaren's website specificall says that they do not do placements, but they do.....just write to them and if your CV is good enough you'll have a chance.

From what I hear, the unis that a well respected in the industry are:

Imperial
Southampton
Loughbrough
Cambridge
Oxford Brooks
Cranfield (for their Motorsport masters)

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of my points.....

pjobmathew

Hey that was exactly the way i felt when i was 13 . But the problem with me was that i was instead of concentrating on the present i started dreaming of the future . In my country we have a nationalized exams for 10 and 12 grades . We get study leave for about 2 months before the exam . Instead of studying i watched , played and dreamed F1 all the time .

The result - I got an aggregate of 82% when i should have easily scored over 90%.

Concentrate on your math and physics and most importantly get your basics right .

If possible take up subject that might help u with engineering . For Ex.I took up engineering drawing in 11th grade . Also started doing bit of cad then .

Don't even think of unis now

All the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

skuty

Thanks for all messages, but I do not want you think I am lazy at high school. For me high school is the most important thing now and I study car technology in my free time. Yes, I do not spend much time at scool, but I catch up all subject matter. Once more thanks

Jersey Tom

Well. No reason to worry about universities for a while until you're ready to graduate HS.

Furthermore, you want to do F1 now.. you might not (and probably won't) by the time you're in your mid 20s. A lot changes by the time you're 18, and much more so by the time you're 22.

Plus, there's pretty much no shot at just jumping into F1 without substantial previous race team experience or very specialized degrees.

If you want a taste of motorsport life though, start by getting a job that's 60-70 hours a week, with a lot of stress, and doesn't pay particularly well for the hours.

Everyone says they want to do racing. Few are cut out for it, or stick with it.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

C/\D

Imperial Collage.
Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

jonathan189

Cambridge and Imperial are good. But to get in you'll need an exceptional academic record -- they won't care much about your hands-on experience.

ehblokgotadola

Go to an English, U.S , Canadian or German university you will not even get looked at with a degree from an ex soviet block country and thanks for asking.

Callum

jonathan189 wrote:Cambridge and Imperial are good. But to get in you'll need an exceptional academic record -- they won't care much about your hands-on experience.
i've got to disagree with that. It's the hands on experiance that differentiates all the A+ pupils i think..

xpensive

Any Technical University in Sweden would do, personally I would suggest Linköping.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

James_graham

Callum wrote:
jonathan189 wrote:Cambridge and Imperial are good. But to get in you'll need an exceptional academic record -- they won't care much about your hands-on experience.
i've got to disagree with that. It's the hands on experiance that differentiates all the A+ pupils i think..

I have to Agree, when you do for an interview they want to know about your university experience, project work and relevant work experience