Massa crashes after being hit by heave spring

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andartop
andartop

Re: Massa crashes after being hit by heave spring

Giblet wrote:I hear ya, but head injuries are day to day, and while hope has it's place, being realistic is more....realistic. Ferrari, if they were being realistic, they would have an actual driver ready to go. They should have known of Schumi's inability to drive an F1 car now, and Badoer's inability to drive one quickly. It's just due diligence. This poor planning has hurt them in late season development, and points.

We can afford to be optimistic, but Ferrari has dropped the ball.

Mclaren are at least ready for the worst and keep De La Rosa in much better readiness.
Well, my point has been all along that in such a case "being realistic" is quite impossible indeed unless you can examine the patient and have access to all the results of all the tests carried out. In view of this, analysing anything that could ever possibly go wrong after a head injury, as many people have, is pure speculation and as such really has nothing to offer in this discussion.

Again, my optimism was never based on my personal hopes, but on the available information we had at any given time about Felipe's condition. If you go back in this thread you will find out whether I was right or wrong. According to F1techincal Felipe was karting today and feeling just fine.

As far as Ferrari, Schumi, Badoer and co are concerned, I think there are already other threads discussing these issues, but you're right, the whole thing has cost them dearly. However, I can't see how any Team could be properly backed up on that front what with the testing ban and all. I think Fisico proved clearly that not even an experienced current F1 driver can feel right at home jumping into a different race seat, so how could De La Rosa be better prepared?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Ray

Recent pictures of Massa up and about

From an event last month

In Maranello today

Sorry for any reposts

Alexpcenteno

The same brazilian reporter that told the world about piquet's crash has announced today in brazilian main broadcast jornal that Felipe Massa is ready to come back in Interlagos depending only on FIA approval!

For those who understand portuguese here is the link:

http://globoesporte.globo.com/Esportes/ ... RASIL.html
"Racing, competing, it's in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I have been doing it all my life and it stands out above everything else." - Ayrton Senna

johnny99
johnny99

He will be at the Interlagos race, but he will be waving the checkered flag

John

xpensive
xpensive

Wonder who stiched poor Felipe up, a veterinarian or Dr Frankenstein perhaps? Looks terrible.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

andartop
andartop

xpensive wrote:Wonder who stiched poor Felipe up, a veterinarian or Dr Frankenstein perhaps? Looks terrible.
It's too soon. He will have to undergo corrective plastic surgery at some point. It is really hard to achieve much better than that on this area of the head as there is lack of sufficient soft tissue thickness.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

ringo

Is it me or is his left eye looking like Whitmarsh's eye? :mrgreen:
Well they said he passed eye tests, but you never know.
For Sure!!

ds.raikkonen

xpensive wrote:Wonder who stiched poor Felipe up, a veterinarian or Dr Frankenstein perhaps? Looks terrible.
What did you expect? Seamless stitching or something? We re talking about the human forehead skin here, not some cloth! And thats going to leave a scar on him for a long time.
However, it could ve been done by cauterizing, its a relatively new practice.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

andartop
andartop

ds.raikkonen wrote:However, it could ve been done by cauterizing, its a relatively new practice.
You mean new as in at least 25 hundred years old? See Hippocrates, 4th century BC!

andartop
andartop

xpensive
xpensive

andartop wrote:
It's too soon. He will have to undergo corrective plastic surgery at some point. It is really hard to achieve much better than that on this area of the head as there is lack of sufficient soft tissue thickness.
Perhaps, but I've never seen only six or seven coarse stiches, that separated, in any face. Looks like a CSI image.
Where was this performed anyway?

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:Perhaps, but I've never seen only six or seven coarse stiches, that separated, in any face. Looks like a CSI image.
Where was this performed anyway?
Oh, c'mon.
How many people you've seen hit by a spring at 250 kph?
And my guess that Hungarian doctors did a good job saving his eyesight or even life, also don't forget that there was a second or even third surgery for Massa in US afterwards.

xpensive
xpensive

Is Transylvania part of Hungary perhaps? What caused the injury should have little to do with how you stitch up the wound?

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:Is Transylvania part of Hungary perhaps?

Nope)
xpensive wrote:What caused the injury should have little to do with how you stitch up the wound?
Well, I guess you should show this pics to a surgeon and ask what he thinks about them.

xpensive
xpensive

Not a surgeon, but one of my mistresses is a surgery-nurse and she never seen anything like it outside the morgue.