Massa crashes after being hit by heave spring

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Scotracer

Re: Massa crashes after being hit by heave spring

Can some please change the title of this thread to a correct spelling? It's been like this since July and it's driving me mad now! :lol:
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

andartop

You missed the point completely. Please read my post again.
In case you still don't get it, the summary is that Massa got injured right above his eye. You said that you noticed he could not lift the eyebrow. The muscle that lifts the eyebrow extends quite far away from the area Massa got injured. The branches of the nerve that supply this muscle lie even further away.
For the whole muscle to get paralyzed you would need most of these branches severed.
You would get the same effect by severing the muscle itself, or its attachment, which lies exactly in the area where Massa got injured. Thus, I think the second scenario seems more likely.
Yes, a deep cut could reach the nerves, but then again the muscle itself would be severed first.
No, there aren't "many" facial nerves, just two, left and right, and what you listed there are the branches they provide.
Here's another artistic impression:
http://radiopaedia.org/uploads/images/0 ... anches.jpg
The transparency you might notice is there to show that the nerves actually lie deeper than the muscles. Nature is wise.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Richard

andartop wrote: the corrugator supercilii muscle or even the occipitofrontalis muscle
Nice to see technical stuff on a technical forum, thanks. =D>

Giblet

I was watching Massa in his quali interview, and he does seem to have no mobility of his left eyebrow. He lifted his brow three times during discussion, and only his right arched. I think unfortunately, as much as I didn't want to be right, the healing was not 100%. I am still horrified by my own personal accident, being 1/2 inch away from having a limp hand at the end of my right arm. I would have made one hell of a slapper though. Losing an eyebrow is nothing unless you are Eugene Levy.

As for the heave spring, I thought it was a spelling error as well, but it is in fact called a heave spring.

It's good to finally be able to say after two races that Felipe is fine, and he has not suffered any kind of serious problems that can be associated with such an injury.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

DaveKillens

I too am happy that Massa'a horrific accident did not appear to posess any visible signs of brain damage. That, above all was my concern. But not only is he back, but so far has been the only man to stand on the podium.

There had to be a lot of support for Massa, from the doctors and therapists to his family and loved ones who obviously worked hard behind the scenes to return this fine man to health.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Mystery Steve

It's absolutely great to see Felipe doing as well as he is. It would have been fantastic just to see him live a normal life, let alone be competitive in Formula 1.

I don't know anything about the muscle/nerve debate, but from personal experience his external scarring seems to be healing very well. I had plastic surgery below my right eye about 6 years ago, and I don't think my scarring looked as good as his does at the roughly 3/4 year mark. And my operation was under completely controlled circumstances. Thankfully, I wasn't hit in face with a spring at over 150 mph.

Hopefully, Felipe isn't experiencing any secondary side effects of anything away from the track. But he's definitely lucky to have the kind of support he has between Ferrari and his family.