NO new qually format???? Thankfully

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jddh1

Re: NEw qually format????

myurr wrote:
-KMR_NH- wrote:QLF is currently near to perfect. The only thing which could be changed is Q3 as low-fuel session.
Almost. With the change of Q3 to being a low fuel session, I'd also put the Sunday practice back in, even if just half an hour, and allow setup changes. That way teams qualifying pace doesn't necessarily carry over into race pace, and could lead to more overtaking.
I love the idea.
But then, when would the 10000 feeder series set up by Bernie race? I say, drop one of them and have the Sunday warm up again. Why they banned that in the first place is beyond me.

WhiteBlue

1+ from me for low fuel Q3 and Sunday warmup.

Fota have crap ideas like this Qually rehash, shortening races! Their propaganda is easily dismissed as simply serving self interest.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Scotracer

+1 for the new format. I like it 8)
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

ISLAMATRON

Scotracer wrote:+1 for the new format. I like it 8)
Which? the FOTA one? if so can you explain it cause I cant fully understand

flynfrog

ISLAMATRON wrote:
5 car go out at once 2 fastest move on to the next round what so hard about that?

Scotracer

ISLAMATRON wrote:
5 sessions of 5 cars each (if there are 25 total, that is). The two fastest from each go through to a final of 10 cars (possibly like todays Q3).

Although, I've got a bit of trepidation about how the sessions are chosen: champ position, random, what? If it's by champ position you would be forming a system similar to the FIA GT's system where you can have slow cars qualifying ahead of faster ones (see GT2 cars getting into Superpole session). If it's random then you run the risk of 3 or more very fast cars in a single session and it could be big trouble for some of them.

ISLAMATRON

flynfrog wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:
5 car go out at once 2 fastest move on to the next round what so hard about that?
8 ROUNDS? thats alot of tires, new set every round? who picks who goes first? who goes last? they gonna need to refuel no? what bout blocking? how do they determine the final order? by lap times? what if it starts raining halfway through the session, then the drivers who are in the latter sessions are at a disadvantage.

track gets rubbered in the more laps done, drivers in the former stages are at a disadvantage, what if somebody oils down the track.

simply said it is a stupid idea any way you look at it.

Scotracer

I saw it a different way. See above post ^

But re-reading the link:
It is believed FOTA's desired change would see five cars on track at a time, with the two fastest progressing to take on the next group of competitors.
That flynfrog is correct. Yes, that is a stupid idea. My idea is better :lol:

TRICKLE69

jddh1 wrote:
myurr wrote:
-KMR_NH- wrote:QLF is currently near to perfect. The only thing which could be changed is Q3 as low-fuel session.
Almost. With the change of Q3 to being a low fuel session, I'd also put the Sunday practice back in, even if just half an hour, and allow setup changes. That way teams qualifying pace doesn't necessarily carry over into race pace, and could lead to more overtaking.
I love the idea.
But then, when would the 10000 feeder series set up by Bernie race? I say, drop one of them and have the Sunday warm up again. Why they banned that in the first place is beyond me.
I think that is the best possible format. =D>
IT IS WHAT IT IS

bidong

The "bidong" Formula 1 Qualifying session for 2010.

Please give me constructive insights and opinions regarding this.

The "Qualifying Session" will be divided into 2 parts.
a. The First 25 minutes (rubbering down)
a2. 5 minute coffee break. ;)
b. The Second 30 minutes (setting fast lap times)

26 cars are free to run in (a) to rubber down the track, given that everyone in (a) and (b) will be using the harder-compound tires. The six fastest drivers of (a) will be allowed to run the softer-option tire for (b) Fuel load for (a) and (b) will be a fixed 25 laps (or whatever amount of Liters) and there will be no refueling during the entire qualifying session.

(b) will be open for 3 flying laps for each driver. These flying laps can be done in their own time; as long as it falls within 30 minutes. Also, all flying laps will not be counted once the chequered flag is out. The six fastest drivers of (a) will be allowed to run on one set of the softer-option tires and one set of the harder-compound tires. While the other twenty drivers can run on two sets of the harder-compound tires. Pole position driver will be allowed to do donuts (in their own engine life expense) and carry his national flag (team or driver) around his victory lap.

*by the way, lap times will be considered as one for the whole qualifying session. Meaning, if the fastest lap time was set in session (a), this will be the pole position lap.
This, IMHO, would really improve the show

ISLAMATRON

Re: NO new qually format???? Thankfully

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77775

Looks like Qually will basically remain the same as now

3 rounds... 8 cars knoocked out in the first 2

LOW FUEL Q3!!!!!!!!!!!!! bout damned time.

Same points system as now.

min weight raised to 620... and KERS stays!!!!!!

tire warmers allowed... too bad for that one.

Giblet

The proposed means of quail is a dumb idea I think.

Whichever cars go out last, assuming the weather remains constant, will have a distinct advantage to a more rubbered in track. Especially if there is rain the night before, but a dry race day. On quali runs, everone is running 10/10ths on new tires, slapping down vulcanized carbon black rubber at a higher rate than practise.

Other than taht, I like it.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Ogami musashi

the 2010 regulations are so cool, i can't believe how fun F1 will now be with so much technological freedom, how much the overtaking working group works will continue to improve, how the FOTA has done to improve the show...ahh yes so good regulations!

What? They are the same as this year with only 620kg minimum weight?
THey are to stay until the end of 2012???

Nahhhhh, you're kidding me. No??!

Sight...

timbo

Seems like DDDs stay. I wonder how far next year's cars would go with this...

ISLAMATRON

Ogami musashi wrote:the 2010 regulations are so cool, i can't believe how fun F1 will now be with so much technological freedom, how much the overtaking working group works will continue to improve, how the FOTA has done to improve the show...ahh yes so good regulations!

What? They are the same as this year with only 620kg minimum weight?
THey are to stay until the end of 2012???

Nahhhhh, you're kidding me. No??!

Sight...
They actually have the option of going backwards in technical level with the FOTA ban on KERS, Thank you FOTA once again.
F1 will be extremely boring on a technical level for the next 3 years, all hail the great FOTA.