Truilli out at Toyota? Williams look to end Toyota deal?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gcdugas

Re: Truilli out at Toyota?

Giblet wrote:Since Trulli says it's not about money, and his performance hasn't been too far from Glock in either way, I wonder if he led the team down a bad development path, wrecking their pre and early season momentum.
The FOZ wrote:Trulli wants a 2-year contract, Toyota is only willing to give him a 1-year.

Based on that, I don't think Toyota's position is shaky, but it shows some uncertainty on their part.

Its all about the 2yr duration. If JT did a "Button" and offered to drive next year at 50% of his salary they might sign him... unless they have their eye on Kubica. JT has served them very well and they just need a longer range future than a driver who is at the twilight of his career.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

gcdugas

Re: Truilli out at Toyota?

timbo wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:I really hope we to see the flywheel KERS on a Williams next year
How'd they package KERS (esp. flywheel, as you can't put it under radiator into sidepod) and full race distance fuel-tank?
I won't count on this.
Do you think they will have two counter-rotating units to counteract the gyro effect? I can't see it any other way.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

Giblet

Re: Truilli out at Toyota? Williams look to end Toyota deal?

Would it be any different than overcoming the gyroscopic effect of a gasoline motor spinning, or a KERS motor spinning?

I'm not so sure it's a worry that the teams have to actually deal with. Sometimes when I pick up my external HD, I can feel its gyro effect, and it is running at only 7200 rpm. A crank shaft spinning at 18,000 rpm might make some gyroscopic effect as well considering the lower weight of a flywheel spinning at 60,000 rpm.

I am not an engineer by any margin and have no science to back anything up, so I could be totally wrong, but ICE's must have a gyroscopic effect I figure.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet

StrFerrari4Ever wrote:They've got the most money and yet they still can't find success surely the best brains and talent in the buisness would like to achieve success at the biggest car manufacturers F1 programme but the reality is different.

I mean how long have they been in F1 8 Years? and no win thats disgraceful and unjustifiable for a team with that much money behind it. Toro Rosso 3 years in F1 1 Win Toyota 8 Years in F1 no wins [-X They better hope their board says 2010 last chance and actually mean it and Trulli i love the guy his fast but in the race is nowhere I think his past his best they should probably get Kaz in he could feel more comfortable at a team from his home country and him & Glock could get on well which would help with team chemistry and improve their success.

Well Toyota is a constructor, Torro Rosso runs a customer car taht they don't have to design. If STR had to make their own chassis, I doubt they would be where they are win wise.

Blind fanboyism has no real place in a discussion. Apples draw no useful comparison from oranges.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

gcdugas

A first... This can't be good. Clicky

Carlos

Although my post is OT; I did want to comment gcdugas. The closing of the California Nummi plant reflects the end of General Motor's production partnership as the work is being transfered to the Cambridge Ontario Toyota plant. It's not a reflection of the failure of Toyota but General Motors. The real tragedy is the absolute destruction of thousands of families in The US.
http://www.windsorstar.com/Toyota+movin ... story.html

BreezyRacer

Trulli gets a haircut .. contract time .. time to go corporate!

http://premium.f1-live.com/f1/photos-hi ... po_685.jpg

gcdugas

Carlos wrote:Although my post is OT; I did want to comment gcdugas. The closing of the California Nummi plant reflects the end of General Motor's production partnership as the work is being transfered to the Cambridge Ontario Toyota plant. It's not a reflection of the failure of Toyota but General Motors. The real tragedy is the absolute destruction of thousands of families in The US.
Point taken but... if Toyota and the economy were healthier they could have just excised GM out in the same manner that MB got rid of Chrysler. If things were better they could have kept the plant going. It did produce the popular Corrolla model after all. So things are bad and the GM angle does not detract from the red ink and why I posted the news about the plant closing on this thread..... trying go get back on topic....

Giblet

Carlos wrote:Although my post is OT; I did want to comment gcdugas. The closing of the California Nummi plant reflects the end of General Motor's production partnership as the work is being transfered to the Cambridge Ontario Toyota plant. It's not a reflection of the failure of Toyota but General Motors. The real tragedy is the absolute destruction of thousands of families in The US.
I grew up down the road from the Cambridge Toyota plant, and I am surprised that they were making Corollas elsewhere. I figured that plant had the volume capability. I had to paint the road lines there for a contract when I was young, and it was literally 100km of lines when were done, and that was just for inside the plant.

Sad to see one city getting the shaft when another is doing so well.

Kitchener-Waterloo and Cambridge are basically one city, with some rural area in between, and Toyota. With that and RIM, there is no recession going on there. My brothers friend works at that plant, and is going to retire by 50.

Jarno looks like the new Daniel Craig bond now.

gcdugas

BreezyRacer wrote:Trulli gets a haircut .. contract time .. time to go corporate!

http://premium.f1-live.com/f1/photos-hi ... po_685.jpg

You mean this pic isn't corporate enough? Clicky

vasia

As WhiteBlue has mentioned, Toyota's new President is a big petrol head and a racing fanatic. It's highly unlikely Toyota will pull out of F1 with this guy as President. Toyota is soon launching a Lexus supercar and have several sports cars in development. If only for marketing, pulling out of F1 would be a silly decision right now. If they actually do pull out, I would expect them to replace F1 with something at least close marketing-wise, and that something would have to be a full-scale participation at Le Mans.

The FOZ

vasia wrote:As WhiteBlue has mentioned, Toyota's new President is a big petrol head and a racing fanatic. It's highly unlikely Toyota will pull out of F1 with this guy as President. Toyota is soon launching a Lexus supercar and have several sports cars in development. If only for marketing, pulling out of F1 would be a silly decision right now. If they actually do pull out, I would expect them to replace F1 with something at least close marketing-wise, and that something would have to be a full-scale participation at Le Mans.
Would they take the devil they don't know over the devil they know and are established at?

Not likely.

They might scale back, change a few things for next season, or do both. New driver(s) are very possible.

My guess is Williams feels their car is nearly competitive, but the engine isn't getting the job done for them. Hence, looking for a different engine supplier.

vasia

The FOZ wrote:
Would they take the devil they don't know over the devil they know and are established at?

Not likely.

They might scale back, change a few things for next season, or do both. New driver(s) are very possible.

My guess is Williams feels their car is nearly competitive, but the engine isn't getting the job done for them. Hence, looking for a different engine supplier.
Toyota participated in Le Mans for a few years in the late 90s as a "preparation" for entering F1. They almost won too. You are correct though, they are established now in F1 and are more familiar with it.

I personally think this uncertainty over the budget is being done by Toyota bosses on purpose to give the team a bit of a kick in the rear and a strong incentive to aim for victory and better results in general.

Williams is pretty interesting. They complained about the Cosworth engine years ago, and they had good reason since it was an unreliable mess. The Toyota engine has given them great reliability and it is a decently competitive engine to be honest. I think the engine is the least of their problems. With the same engine, the Toyota cars have been faster for the most part this season.

gcdugas

vasia wrote: Williams is pretty interesting. They complained about the Cosworth engine years ago, and they had good reason since it was an unreliable mess. The Toyota engine has given them great reliability and it is a decently competitive engine to be honest. I think the engine is the least of their problems. With the same engine, the Toyota cars have been faster for the most part this season.

Except on Fridays :lol: :lol: :lol:

axle

vasia wrote:Williams is pretty interesting. They complained about the Cosworth engine years ago, and they had good reason since it was an unreliable mess. The Toyota engine has given them great reliability and it is a decently competitive engine to be honest. I think the engine is the least of their problems. With the same engine, the Toyota cars have been faster for the most part this season.
We've not been watching the same season then...since the Bahrain, Rosberg has handed their arse to Toyota. Spa is the only exception...
- Axle