Truilli out at Toyota? Williams look to end Toyota deal?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vasia

Re: Truilli out at Toyota? Williams look to end Toyota deal?

axle wrote:
We've not been watching the same season then...since the Bahrain, Rosberg has handed their arse to Toyota. Spa is the only exception...
Look closer. Since Bahrain, pay close attention to the race pace of Glock for example. Toyota's qualifying pace has suffered in the past several races, but Glock's (and sometimes Trulli's) race pace has been strong. Also the first few races up to Bahrain still count, and Toyota's pace in those races was tremendous compared to Williams.

How many times has Williams qualified this year, or more to the point finished a race this year on the podium? That's right, never.

pjobmathew

I don't think that they're gonna choose ferrari for engines . Any chance of them resorting to merc engines next year ????? Or would it be Renault( maybe because of their earlier association ) ????

pgj
pgj

Kazuki's problem is confidence right now. He is in a horrible run of form and it is more painful watching him struggle than it was watching Alex. Alex had racecraft at least and showed it in flashes. Kazuki deserved his drive this year on his performances of last year. It is difficult to see how he turn his season around. He started to show a bit of qualifying form without ever transferring it into race results. It would be kinder to pull him and give him the opportunity to say that he was just about to turn things around "if I had had more time". If he carries on with this form for the rest of the season it could ruin him as a driver.

It could be that although the Toyota engine is reliable and reasonably powerful that its power and balance are difficult to harness effectively. A different engine with different characteristics may suit a Williams chassis better. Williams must have very good reasons for asking Toyota to release Williams from its commitments. It can't be solely due to driver choice.
Williams and proud of it.

axle

pgj wrote:It could be that although the Toyota engine is reliable and reasonably powerful that its power and balance are difficult to harness effectively. A different engine with different characteristics may suit a Williams chassis better. Williams must have very good reasons for asking Toyota to release Williams from its commitments. It can't be solely due to driver choice.
1 big reason is that the Toyota engine was never modified for KERS use...
- Axle

pgj
pgj

That is a very good point.

pgj
pgj

De Bild is reporting that Brawn has made Rosberg an offer. Can he refuse it? lol

axle

pgj wrote:De Bild is reporting that Brawn has made Rosberg an offer. Can he refuse it? lol
He will - and go to McLaren. I can't see Nico moving to Brawn...
- Axle

nipo

Back on topic, Trulli is truly the qualifying king - once he gets to the race he stands little chance :lol:

Having watched Toyota for so many years, they've shown signs of promise but then they were never there. In my opinion they are still in the territory where they will come to a GP, go very quick/slow, and not know why. It's a bit like Honda in the last few years.

I dare not conclude anything but maybe they just need the magical touch of somebody like Ross Brawn.

As for Kazuki, I fail to see how he is as good as some of the people here is saying he is...

Shaddock

pjobmathew wrote:I don't think that they're gonna choose ferrari for engines . Any chance of them resorting to merc engines next year ????? Or would it be Renault( maybe because of their earlier association ) ????

I think 'everybody' is after the Merc engine, Redbull and possibly Williams. I'm sure the rules state that MB can only supply 5 teams, so someones going to miss out.

ISLAMATRON

Merc is the new Cosworth... but nobody likes a "spec" series right?

Belatti

Still cant understand how Toyota, that seemed a reasonable company in other kind of motorsports, can stand their team and drivers. Einstein basically said that if you do the same thing and expect different results, you are basically an idiot.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Miguel

Belatti wrote:Einstein basically said that if you do the same thing and expect different results, you are basically an idiot.
Yeah, Einstein never liked quantum mechanics.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

vasia

Yes, Toyota is still missing that final touch for winning a race and also for becoming a championship team. They need someone with very good experience to give them "the magic touch" so the team can (finally) understand why they are slow sometimes, and fast other times. Frank Dernie is an advisor for the Toyota team, but I REALLY hope they can somehow give him a bigger role on the team. Someone like Dernie can add the final touch needed to make the Toyota team a serious F1 contender.

Also from what I have heard, the main reason Williams is looking at other engine suppliers is because of the uncertainty surrounding Toyota's budget for next year. That and KERS usage.

Finally, here is a story from autosport which basically confirms Toyota will remain in F1:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78300

I pretty much predicted something like this would happen; that Toyota would stay in F1, only on a reduced budget. The reduced budget will actually force the team to use more ingenuity and creativity.

Also the possibility of some staff being shifted to a Le Mans sports car program makes sense. Over the past few months there have been some really strong rumors about Toyota re-entering Le Mans. Given that Toyota is releasing their Lexus supercar next year, a Le Mans entry would make a lot of sense not to mention their new president is a big petrolhead and racing enthusiast.

xpensive

I think part of the problem for Toyota is the enormous investments in the Cologne-facilities.
If they pull the plug from F1, what to do with that and how do you xplain it officially?

But obviously, as a manufacturer outfit, you cannot go on year after year without even winning a race.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"