Renault race-fixing at Singapore 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Steven
Owner

Re: FIA to investigate Alonso's win in Singapore

DaveKillens wrote:Oh crap, more dirt and scandal in Formula One.

One thing for sure, Piquet's career in Formula One has fallen into a black hole.
hehe :lol:
Well I couldn't resist creating poll out of that one. Have fun voting on the homepage ;)

The FOZ
The FOZ

Scotracer wrote:

One thing for sure, Piquet's career in Formula One has fallen into a black hole.
Into? It's created one and it's sucking everything that ever touched it in too :lol:
Wait, wait...

Is it possible for a black hole to suck so hard, it sucks itself into itself?

void

Can FIA cancel Renault entry in 2010?

Scotracer
Scotracer

The FOZ wrote:
Scotracer wrote:

Into? It's created one and it's sucking everything that ever touched it in too :lol:
Wait, wait...

Is it possible for a black hole to suck so hard, it sucks itself into itself?
If Piquet Snr gets involved then we may create the first instance of it :shock:
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Callum

Lets jump to conclusions and say Renault are found out to have fixed the race by telling their driver to cause a saftey car.. Possible penalties??

I think it would be a pretty big one..race fixing PLUS the safety side.

Thoughts?

The FOZ
The FOZ

Callum wrote:Lets jump to conclusions and say Renault are found out to have fixed the race by telling their driver to cause a saftey car.. Possible penalties??

I think it would be a pretty big one..race fixing PLUS the safety side.

Thoughts?
They were suspended from Valencia for letting Alonso out on a bad wheel. Yes, I know it was appealed and won by the team.

Actually telling someone to crash, to influence the outcome of the race in their favor, would be something far more significant. I wouldn't see their 2010 entry being scrubbed, since that would mean the end of the team altogether, but another 100 mil pound fine plus no constructor points for a season would certainly seem appropriate.

Ray

They'll never be able to prove it without PK confirming under oath he did. And no one would ever hire him to race a car if he admitted to wrecking a car on purpose. I sure as hell wouldn't. This is a stupid topic, a stupid investigation, and something to whip people into a frenzy over nothing. Maybe we should investigate weird things happening all the way back to the start of the World Championship? :roll:

Rob W

Could it be proven I'd say they'd face a ban of some sort and at least a $10m fine. Surely the benefit of winning, not to mention the unfair detriment to the other teams, is worth $10m - if not more.

Direct race result fudging should surely be amongst the most punishable offences in the sport.

xpensive
xpensive

Rob W wrote:Could it be proven I'd say they'd face a ban of some sort and at least a $10m fine. Surely the benefit of winning, not to mention the unfair detriment to the other teams, is worth $10m - if not more.

Direct race result fudging should surely be amongst the most punishable offences in the sport.
And what penalty did Ferrari and Schu get for sabotaging practice at Monaco a few years ago?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

mike
mike

another GP comes up, spa 2004 where david crashed in to a minardi to trigger a safty car to keep schumacher behind kimi on the final few laps, no practise needed there
So what happens if reault is find guilty? reset the results of that race? maybe massa can become the world champion of 2008

Rob W

xpensive wrote:And what penalty did Ferrari and Schu get for sabotaging practice at Monaco a few years ago?
I agree with you and have always said Ferrari should have been punished far more severely.

In this case I think the issue is potentially far, far worse in a few ways though. For one it was during the race itself - surely more detrimental to the sport/outcome - plus was the team instructing the driver (i.e. higher up the chain) rather than the driver who presumably made the choice as in Schumacher's Monaco case (well we can assume - it's impossible to prove other's involvement really). Moreso in this case, the safety issue of asking a driver to deliberately crash is a serious one. What if he'd crashed a little bit hard and been killed or someone else hit him etc?

I can see the parable with Monaco but this, if true, is still much worse.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

rumors of this race fix come up last year, post singapore, but nothing official was ever mentioned. apparently the FIA now have some "evidence", but I fail to see how they could have "instructed" Nelson to crash. the only way to do this would be via Radio, and as we know all radio traffic is monitored... so unless they used some code (i.e "Now Nelson NOW!") or maybe the guy on the pit wall hung his board out with the letters "CRASH" I cant see how they could have done it.

xpensive
xpensive

Rob W wrote:I can see the parable with Monaco but this, if true, is still much worse.
Has everyone forgotten Jerez in 1997? I found Mosley and the FIA's punishment for Schu utterly pathetic.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

siskue2005

xpensive wrote:
Rob W wrote:I can see the parable with Monaco but this, if true, is still much worse.
Has everyone forgotten Jerez in 1997? I found Mosley and the FIA's punishment for Schu utterly pathetic.
he was DSQed from the entire season :roll:
what else was needed? imprison Schumy for 50 yrs??
Divorce his wife from him?
Shoot him infront of everyone?
:lol:

siskue2005

jason.parker.86 wrote:rumors of this race fix come up last year, post singapore, but nothing official was ever mentioned. apparently the FIA now have some "evidence", but I fail to see how they could have "instructed" Nelson to crash. the only way to do this would be via Radio, and as we know all radio traffic is monitored... so unless they used some code (i.e "Now Nelson NOW!") or maybe the guy on the pit wall hung his board out with the letters "CRASH" I cant see how they could have done it.
last year the radio transmission was not monitored :!:

it is from 2009 onwards that radio traffic is non encrypted and FIA can listen to anyone