Save Spa-Francorchamps

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giblet

Re: Save Spa Francorchamps

Like in Vancouver, where we had the Indy.

There are people who live in 30 story track side condos. They moved in AFTER the race was already running (2 of the 4 buildings anyways), and they were the d-bags that led the charge to lose the race.

The average resident here calls Vancouver "The No Fun City". It really only takes one person to ruin everyones fun.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pup
Pup

My understanding was that the Spa situation is a bit more complicated. I believe what happened is that a few years back, Spa was given an unusual, unlimited license to hold races. This was done in a rush by some politician when the GP returned. The track then took advantage of that license by running race days during the week and at night, which they had not done before. And this is what the complaint was about. So the court took away the track's unlimited license, which should never have been granted anyway, and now they are operating under some temporary permit until a permanent solution/compromise is found. The GP is/was never in danger.

So. Typical sloppy reporting by our F1 press.

Not that there's anything wrong with the petition. I love a good petition.

WhiteBlue

Pup wrote:So. Typical sloppy reporting by our F1 press.
LOL +1
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

zgred

Good news:

Spa-Francorchamps back in business
grandprix.com wrote: Mobility, has signed a new decree granting the Spa-Francorchamps a new circuit licence. This means that the track can be included in the definitive Formula 1 calendar which will be published in around two weeks from now.
(...)

WhiteBlue

no big surprise there
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Fil

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcntfw ... a-fra_news

Anyone who can translate the French in the video?

Hope the track damage can be fixed by the time of the GP [-o<
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

audifan

briefly , it seems that the blanchiment tunnel has partially collapsed ,but that shouldn't be a problem ; the track is cracking up but the full extent isn't clear from the comments

the truth of the matter is that the ardennes , like the rest of europe , has suffered the worst winter in decades ; however the ardennes is renowned for severe winters and as a big chunk of the circuit is a public road it will have to be repaired anyway ....as the race brings in a lot of money locally no doubt the local authorities will make sure it is to grand prix standards
with regard to the private part of the circuit , if the owners lack the money no doubt they will be asking bernie ffor a secret loan to set it to rights !

Asphalt_World

audifan wrote:briefly , it seems that the blanchiment tunnel has partially collapsed ,but that shouldn't be a problem ; the track is cracking up but the full extent isn't clear from the comments

the truth of the matter is that the ardennes , like the rest of europe , has suffered the worst winter in decades ; however the ardennes is renowned for severe winters and as a big chunk of the circuit is a public road it will have to be repaired anyway ....as the race brings in a lot of money locally no doubt the local authorities will make sure it is to grand prix standards
with regard to the private part of the circuit , if the owners lack the money no doubt they will be asking bernie ffor a secret loan to set it to rights !
None of the circuit is public road so I assume the circuit owners will have to pay the bill.
My own website about Spa Francorchamps. The Greatest Circuit in the World.
http://visit-spa-francorchamps.page.tl/

pgj
pgj

Joe Saward has some information about it on his blog. http://joesaward.wordpress.com/ (22 March).
Williams and proud of it.

lebesset

oh dear , I stand corrected ; obviously I am long out of date !
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Mr Alcatraz

Claudio:
"O, what men dare do! What men may do! What men daily
do, not knowing what they do!"

Much Ado About Nothing (IV, i, 19-21) :wink:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand