Williams replace Toyota with Cosworth engines for 2010

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard
Richard

Re: Williams conclude engine partnership with Toyota

alvinkhorfire wrote:As F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, wouldn't we want to see the best teams using the best possible equipment available to them? That way, their full strength can be completely unleashed.
Isn't it a major feature of F1 that the top teams have different equipment, then they slug it out on track to see who comes out on top?

Yes, I'd love RB to have a competitive engine of suitable standard for their excellant aero/mech design, but not a Merc. Otherwise we'd be likely to have some races with RB, Brawn, McL & FI at the front, all powered by Merc. Not good for competition. [-X

Someone refresh my memory, but I thought the rules for customer engines only allowed an engine supplier to supply 3 (or is it 4?) teams. Was Brawn an exception for this year to help them get to the grid in exceptional circumstance? I think Cosworth is a similar exception to allow economy of scale to get new teams (and engine supplier) to the grid.

axle
axle

Also, I don't think Renault are to blame for the RB5 failures...as I haven't seen the Renault team suffer...Adrian Newey designs...fast but fragile. I expec that engine is on the limit for heat management all the time due to the cars design.
- Axle

alvinkhorfire
alvinkhorfire

Thank you for the explaination, guys. Reliability issues (due to the Adrian Newey's fast but fragile designs, as axle pointed out) aside, the Renault engine is still underpowered as compared to Mercedes engine, thus denying RedBull chances to win at power circuits, such as SPA and Monza.

WhiteBlue

RBR are likely to go Cosworth as well. They must be pretty good for Williams to ditch a free engine and pay for them. The FIA has decided that Cosworth can have an unlimited development step on their 2006 engines to match the 4 years of development of the other engine suppliers. They treat the 2010 Cosworth as a new engine and as such Cosworth are not subject to the engine freeze. Cosworth also got four engineers from MBHPE Ltd in Brixworth according to AMuS. I bet those four guys between them know everything Mercedes has developed in the last five years.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

axle
axle

WhiteBlue wrote:RBR are likely to go Cosworth as well. They must be pretty good for Williams to ditch a free engine and pay for them. The FIA has decided that Cosworth can have an unlimited development step on their 2006 engines to match the 4 years of development of the other engine suppliers. They treat the 2010 Cosworth as a new engine and as such Cosworth are not subject to the engine freeze. Cosworth also got four engineers from MBHPE Ltd in Brixworth according to AMuS. I bet those four guys between them know everything Mercedes has developed in the last five years.
There is no official statement regards to William's engine use next year, you have presumed Cosworth.
- Axle

WhiteBlue

axle wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:RBR are likely to go Cosworth as well. They must be pretty good for Williams to ditch a free engine and pay for them. The FIA has decided that Cosworth can have an unlimited development step on their 2006 engines to match the 4 years of development of the other engine suppliers. They treat the 2010 Cosworth as a new engine and as such Cosworth are not subject to the engine freeze. Cosworth also got four engineers from MBHPE Ltd in Brixworth according to AMuS. I bet those four guys between them know everything Mercedes has developed in the last five years.
There is no official statement regards to William's engine use next year, you have presumed Cosworth.
It is not likely that there will be an official statement before Williams have all the elements in place, which may take some time considering that they first need to pinch Petronas from Sauber to balance the books.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Fil

WhiteBlue wrote:It is not likely that there will be an official statement before Williams have all the elements in place, which may take some time considering that they first need to pinch Petronas from Sauber to balance the books.
We don't kno how much personal sponsorship Hulkenberg is bringing either. same with Rubens..
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

ISLAMATRON

The Toyota engines did not come cheap... they may have been free of charge but they came with Kazoo attached who may have cost them 30 or so WCC points which would have vaulted them from 6th to 3rd in the WCC standings... and we all know that equates to a big chuck of change.

The cosworths get to tune their lump up till BAhrain next year and then have to submit it for re-homologation... that still does not leave alot of on track testing time, but lucky for them they have 4 teams signed up with Williams, Red Bull and ex-BMW as possible others.

u401768
u401768

that explains why they are trying to stop Sauber getting the 14th slot...

Hope they cant block it as having 28 cas on the grid would be good

WhiteBlue

u401768 wrote:that explains why they are trying to stop Sauber getting the 14th slot...
Yep, the most morally sound argument possible ..... money.

axle
axle

They arn't using a Renault engine either...
http://twitter.com/noblef1
Williams has informed Renault that it is no longer interested in an engine deal with them for next year. Means it must be Cosworth
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79615
Williams will switch to Cosworth engines next season, AUTOSPORT has learned, after believing its prospects for success in 2010 are best served with the independent engine maker.

Although the Grove-based outfit came close to a deal with Renault, high level sources at the French car manufacturer have revealed that Williams has now informed the company that it is no longer interested in a tie-up for next year.
- Axle

vasia
vasia

Wait a minute, the FIA has allowed Cosworth an unlimited engine step? Has this been confirmed anywhere?

axle
axle

vasia wrote:Wait a minute, the FIA has allowed Cosworth an unlimited engine step? Has this been confirmed anywhere?
Pretty much, they are allowed to optomise the CA2010 until the day before the first race. And with upto 10 cars running CA2010's inc Williams (and potentially ResBull) they will get some excellent feedback and testing in the close season. Also Williams will be in the pound seat to guide development.
- Axle

WhiteBlue

gcdugas

I still see the MB/Ferrari/Toyota/Renault contingent enjoying more reliability due to better metallurgy that they have learned over the freeze period. Even using the exact same metals, there are dozens of way to forge, treat for a long duration/short duration, shot-peen, plasma coat, cryo-treat, magno-align, simulated zero-G casting, centrifugally cast high-G, vibro-cast etc. the same component of the same alloy and such knowledge is guarded.

And their FIA allowed "reliability mods" these past few years dealt with that and oil scavenging/spraying system improvements and "windage" reductions.

OK say the Coz optimizes for 18K RPM and is allowed to develop better intake breathing etc. I can't see them being worlds better with the same ECU.

This is why the freeze is a bad idea. Only an egalitarian Marxist N@zi loon would expect enforced equality to work in the real world. If the modified Coz is faster then all the other teams will cry foul. If the Coz is a turd then the new teams will lament their investment.

I don't think the freeze can live past the forthcoming firestorm.

I think Red Bull would be wise to remain with Renault if they can't get MB which both Brawn and Mac would oppose.

FW said the reasons were "not for public consumption" but that there had been "no falling out". I believe him. I suspect the reason they dumped Toyota has more to do with their mechanical KERS system than anything else.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1