Ross Brawn talking on Button and Schumacher

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Ross Brawn talking on Button and Schumacher

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oc ... azilian-gp?

I thought that this is an interesting piece to read with all the hard facts and expert opinion put in by a guy like Ross Brawn. He engineered Micheal Schumacher to seven championships and his testimony appears very honest to me. I have followed Button's career very closely as he was one of Michael's competitors when BAR was run extremely competitively by Dave Richards. As luck would have it the Japanese shot themselves in the foot. Go go do it again!!

Now Jenson may finally achieve his life's ambition and become WDC 2009 tomorrow. That is fine and will happen or not. If he screws up or Lady Luck craps on him my fellow country man Vettel may get another chance at glory. So I'm not exactly impartisan to this scrap. But I still hope the better man will win and we will see a great race.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

tarzoon

Re: Ross Brawn talking on Button and Schumacher

This is a biased speech - Brawn would never go against his drivers.

But it makes me wonder how much pressure there is when they seat behind the wheel. Even before that. BrawnGP started from (almost) scratch with a competitive car and enough funding to survive the whole season. Even better, without sponsors and usual obligations the drivers didn't have any of those time wasting commitments. Suddenly, when there is pressure of being first and finding sponsors to support further development, things go dodgy.

So, how much faster could these guys go without any of those worries? Although they are commited and professionals, they're still humans...

marcush.

from my experience distractions from the aim on track are very counterproductive for crew and pilot.
So TV cameras ,interviews ,guests contactual issues ,moneyproblems,driver having a second job running the team ,etc will all contribute not to get the job done whatever anyone is telling you.
I can almost see Button counting the points up and down .But really it is in his hands to win it.To sit on the fence is worst.

the schuhmacher statement of Brawn refects my own perception of MS: he´s surely not
a good development driver ,let alone if another guy has to drive his work: see Benetton the year after his departing: Alesi and Berger were almost killing themselves trying to drive that Championshipwinning Benetton fast ...

WhiteBlue

Schumacher was a very good development driver. He is very technical and gives good feed back according to the engineers he has worked with. Chris Dyer is full of praise for him. The problem Brawn refers to is his preference for a loose rear end. He has an almost uncanny ability to sense the car going a way from him and balances it on that edge. Other drivers cannot drive such a car. Herbert for instance could not drive a Schumacher set up at any speed. I suspect Button is the same. He prefers a very neutral set up and drives it very smoothly once it is set up that way.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

PlatinumZealot

He said that Michaels feedback wasn't as helpful because MS's talent. Michael could drive the car even if it was set up awful and then say the car is OK when it is not.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

kilcoo316

But he's more specific in what he wants and he doesn't mask a problem in the car. If there is one, he can't drive around it.

In one sentence why Button is not even approaching being a great driver.

Good... maybe. Great, not a chance.

I'm pretty disgusted by the amount of sh!te the press are throwing out at the minute. Flavour of the week.

segedunum

n smikle wrote:He said that Michaels feedback wasn't as helpful because MS's talent. Michael could drive the car even if it was set up awful and then say the car is OK when it is not.
Reminds me of a quote I heard about Jim Clark:

Engineer: How's the car Jim?
JC: Errrrr. Fine.

marcush.

Other drivers cannot drive such a car.

that really sums it up .

I rather believe Ross Brawns words he is of MS stature :never bs around if he can he speaks out the truth if he cannot talk he just keeps his mouth shut.