Pirelli will take Bridgestone's place after 2010

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
spinmastermic

Re: Pirelli will take Bridgestone's place after 2010

The best people will be head-hunted by Pirelli to help with the change over. The rest will be applying for interviews. There's a lot of experianced people that shouldn't go to waste.

747heavy

I´m pretty sure that the key people will stay with their company.
Sure there will be some changes once in a while, but especially with Michelin, some of these guys are Michelin people at heart, they will just go and work on other projects.
It´s not like that Bridgstone goes out of business., so their top guys will work on some other projects, whatever Japanese GT, Indycar etc.
Maybe they look at LeMans in the future.

And as J.T. mentioned, correctly -IMHO, why tires are all black and round, the philosophy and the processes behind are quit specific for each manufacturer.

I can´t see, Pirelli just producing a Bridgestone carbon copy.

The track side personal, is maybe a different matter. I would not rule out that, some of the guys who drive the trucks and mount the tires are changing over and drive a truck for Pirelli next year.
But the people with the know how and the IP are most likely tied in long term with the company, like in any other business.
Last edited by 747heavy on 06 Sep 2010, 14:53, edited 2 times in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Jersey Tom

I'd have to imagine most of the Bridgestone f1 engineers will just find other positions in the company
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

strad

Bridge/Firestone will still be making racing tires won't they?..just not in F1.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

lebesset

well , yet again monza shows us that bridgestone have made a complete mess of this year's tyres
having the option tyre able to run the complete race makes a nonsense of the 2 tyre system , surely what we want is to see different approaches /strategies being possible , historically the great drivers were always those who were able to make it up as they went along and adapt to the conditions

is there any information as to what pirelli are dreaming up ? my fear is that they will go the bridgestone safe route .....having the teams whinging about how bad the tyres are isn't good for the public image

how about harder compounds for less marbles but shallower tread for less life ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

nacho

In my opinion they should get rid of the 2-set per race rule, it adds nothing really, just another artificial attempt...

raymondu999

Gross John will be testing to replace Heidfeld: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86719
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

nacho wrote:In my opinion they should get rid of the 2-set per race rule, it adds nothing really, just another artificial attempt...
+1
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

raymondu999

We'd run the risk of having 0-stop races though, wouldn't we?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SiLo

thats why we bring back re-fuelling, it was more entertaining then because there were more strategies...
Felipe Baby!

Confused_Andy

raymondu999 wrote:Gross John will be testing to replace Heidfeld: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86719
And what "valuable" information could be gathered from him, he'd probablly just bung it in a wall... De La Rosa would have been a better choice but perhaps he's already lined up at another team.

raymondu999

I don't think Gross John will give much useful feedback. He simply doesn't have much to compare it too.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

nacho

raymondu999 wrote:We'd run the risk of having 0-stop races though, wouldn't we?
Depends entirely on the tires used, but I don't see any value in pit stops anyways, what happens on the track is more interesting.

PNSD

That's an interesting debate right there.
Taking Monza as an example. If they ran 0 pitstops, then Alonso would have had to overtake on track. Instead he knew there was pitstops along the line so IMO probably chose to hold within a set distance and do his work in clear-air. Which is what he did.

The current tyres are so long lasting is because Bridgestone had to account for the heavy cars. If they went too far the other way we would all be complaining of tyres lasting a few laps and that being a danger.

Bridgestone have done a fantastic job over of the years. Just because they are leaving it doesnt mean we can now blame F1's lack of racing on them ;-)!

What we can blame Bridgestone for is providing us with an F1 which boasts the closest competition in a long time. IMO the current and tyre regulations and that of those over hte past few years has been a huge contributing factor for F1 being so tight. Hats off to Bridgestone and good luck to Pirelli.

WhiteBlue

nacho wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:We'd run the risk of having 0-stop races though, wouldn't we?
Depends entirely on the tires used, but I don't see any value in pit stops anyways, what happens on the track is more interesting.
So true! It's called racing and not stopping for a purpose. I predict that F1 will not have fuel stops for the next 10 years. By then the fuel used will probably be less than 70 kg and stops would not make much sense anyway.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)