do you think button made a mistake to go to mclaren?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andartop

Re: do you think button made a mistake to go to mclaren?

...And if we choose to only consider results from Spa once every 8 years, Fisico managed a 3rd place back in 2001 with a dog of a Benetton - while his team mate Button was struggling not to finish last - which could have been a possible 2nd place, and then in 2009 he got an amazing second place in a Force India which could have been a win had Kimi not slept very well the previous night, as opposed to a DNF by Button brought on by his own poor qualifying performance which put him in the perfect position on the grid for a first lap incident!

:lol:

This thread is hilarious!

Another 4 months to go gentlemen...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

lebesset

nice summation ringo , I think hamilton is the quickest driver in F1 since jim clark , and will probably turn out to be as good
so I don't think button is going to keep beating him , but he will on occasion I feel sure
alonso could see straight off that unless he was given priority over hamilton he was on a loser ...the FIA investigation showed he was given equal treatment and he had to admit as much [ except in spain it seems ]
button will accept that if he gets beaten , he gets beaten ...no alonso tactics , no schumacher tactics ; with the new regs it should be interesting , like all good games F1 has an element of luck ; button has a huge disadvantage in being new to the team , but he has time
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

bergzy

some of my 2007 observations seemed, to me, that lewis received a lot of preferential treatment. perhaps i do have some bias...but i have never seen a driver get craned back onto the track (during the 2007 european gp) after they had gone off...engine running or not.

it also 'seemed' to me that other drivers were getting a lot of discipline from the stewards for minor incidents except for hamilton. 2007 was two years ago so my memory on the specifics are getting fuzzy...except the craning back on the track. i was yelling at the tv on that one! :)

button as a driver? i have mixed feelings on how good he really is. he did win the 2006 hungarian in the super dog of a car honda...though, i think it was a crazy race and it was almost anyone's race to win.

it looked like to me that the mclaren did get better later in the season. but...knowing a little about mclarens sneakiness, this didnt surprise me too much. lewis did give a fernando huffy comment of saying that the car was done for the year...and then magically starts to do better! :D

2010 is going to be a very interesting season indeed!

vall

andartop wrote:This thread is hilarious!

Another 4 months to go gentlemen...
Indeed.... add for LH fanboys, and it seems FA haters :D

ISLAMATRON

Yes Anthony Hamilton payed the crane operator before the race because the Guyanese 1-800 psychic lady told Ron Dennis that Hamilton would go off there, and it gained HAmilton a huge zero points in the WDC standings.

Or maybe it was Anthony who called and Ron who payed... my mind is kindy fuzzy about waaaaaay back in '07.

PlatinumZealot

Nobody else is going to win the WDC other than Hamilton from now on so it doesn't matter. Miss Cleo told me Vettel will be 35 before he gets his WDC.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Giblet

ISLAMATRON wrote:Yes Anthony Hamilton payed the crane operator before the race because the Guyanese 1-800 psychic lady told Ron Dennis that Hamilton would go off there, and it gained HAmilton a huge zero points in the WDC standings.

Or maybe it was Anthony who called and Ron who payed... my mind is kindy fuzzy about waaaaaay back in '07.

What I think is awesome is that Hamilton had the balls and wherewithall to tell the crane operator to put him back on track, and he listened.

Outcome what you like or not, you gotta respect the kid for not giving up. Reminds me of Senna yelling at marshals to give him a push when they weren't supposed to.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andartop

..Or, as a cynic might say (not me!), more proof that the boy doesn't really know the rules of the sport he has been crowned World Champion in!!!

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

gibells

andartop wrote:..Or, as a cynic might say (not me!), more proof that the boy doesn't really know the rules of the sport he has been crowned World Champion in!!!

:?: Or that race control didn't know the rules to apply them? If you've ever played sport, you will know that you play to the ref's whistle.

jon-mullen

Skybet Button vs. Hamilton 2010 Specials:
Poles:  Hamilton 2/5,  Button 7/4
Wins:   Hamilton 8/13, Button 6/5
Well we know who their favorite is. Then again, what were the opening odds on Button's 09 WDC? 180:1? If he beat those, this one should be in the bag, right?
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

hasalard

A very good move for Jenson i belive.Kimi is right, for a f1 driver, there are only two options to guarantee success; Ferrari and Mclaren.Ups and downs possible but with the tradition, expertise and technical resources these two teams have they become the best choices.- also they don't leave f1 in first failure, may only threaten to quit-
If I were Button, i wouldn't feel any pressure in Mclaren.If he manage to beat Hamilton, then he will gain a superstar status.If not, people will accept it as a normal situation and he will become a quiet no:2 driver earning a good paycheck.
A good car, a good salary and becoming a piece of Mclaren's history...Wise decision.

myurr

Totally agree - in many ways as long as Button has a solid season not too far behind Hamilton then it will be job done. No one is really expecting him to beat Lewis, so he can only gain from doing so but not really lose should he match everyone's expectations.

jason.parker.86

Maybe Button knew something we dont - i.e. he knows Schumacher is on his way to Brawn and didnt want to play second fiddle, although he will be doing that at McLaren anyway. Personally- I think McLaren only wanted Button for the number 1 logo and also the bigger pit garage ;)(

vall

myurr wrote:Totally agree - in many ways as long as Button has a solid season not too far behind Hamilton then it will be job done. No one is really expecting him to beat Lewis, so he can only gain from doing so but not really lose should he match everyone's expectations.
Button thinks he will beat him :) I will also not be shocked if that happens

vall

jason.parker.86 wrote:Maybe Button knew something we dont - i.e. he knows Schumacher is on his way to Brawn and didnt want to play second fiddle, although he will be doing that at McLaren anyway. Personally- I think McLaren only wanted Button for the number 1 logo and also the bigger pit garage ;)(
I may be wrong, but the garage allocations are according to the team points, no? McL wll still get the 3rd garage