Jerez Test December 2009

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
autogyro

Re: Jerez Test December 2009

Na its a lightning conductor for energy recovery.

ISLAMATRON

This Di Resta kid is good guys, I'm telling you... He will jump into F1 and Surpise alot of people, maybe to the same degree Hamilton did. Paffett looks like going back to DTM has rejuvinated him, Hope he gets a F1 ride soon. Hulk has allways been impressive... the rest are years away from ready or will never be.

Good to see Kubica there trying to get aquanted with the team, smart.

Pup
Pup

I was surprised actually that Haug didn't move di Resta into Force India this past season. Perhaps he tried.

I don't know if he's Hamilton caliber. Perhaps, but regardless he's is good enough for F1, especially when you see guys that he thrashed soundly in F3 getting seats before him. I'm worried that another year in DTM will keep him out of open wheelers for too long. He had already fallen off most everyone's radar until this week.

Paffett, too.

ISLAMATRON

He should have tried harder, but at who's expense? Zee german Sutil? or GF who scored their first points? Or would it have been fair to him(Di Resta) to throw him in the seat mid season like they did Klein.

Basically the problem is there have been too few seats for as many quality drivers out there that deserve one. And we know what people in F1 who have been degrading the newer teams to be joining F1, and have been making it difficult for the smaller teams for several years now.

ESPImperium

I recon that Sutil has got a final season to mature in F1, if he dosnt, he will be ditched in Force India for Di Resta, Liuzzi and Di Resta would be killer partnership as Tonio was vastly under-rated at Red Bull/STR in the 3 years he was there.

I think that if Sutil dosnt score at least 20-30 points at Force India this year hes gonna find himself looking at a lesser drive or a drive in another series for 2011.

Paffet, i can see him going to a team such as Virgin eventually. But he is of the age that Bourdais came into the sport, and would have to watch he didnt do a Bourdais.

Hulkenberg has always impressed me, i think that if he went up against Vettel, im shure sparks would fly, Add Hamilton and Kubica into the mix for explosive drivers.

Other drivers on my radar after this test are Danial Ricciardo, Jules Bianchi as genuinely fast drivers with Mike Conway and Andy Soucek as competent and relyable drivers that if i was a manager in need of a driver that would be competent and bring home the car safley with minimal racing scrapes, id take either of them.

Force India owner Vijay Malya said that the fastest driver of the two they are testing this week will probably get the test and reserve driver role for 2010, whitch will probably mean that Hildebrand will probably be scouted by USF1 now i feel.

alex1015

ISLAMATRON wrote:This Di Resta kid is good guys, I'm telling you... He will jump into F1 and Surpise alot of people, maybe to the same degree Hamilton did. Paffett looks like going back to DTM has rejuvinated him, Hope he gets a F1 ride soon. Hulk has allways been impressive... the rest are years away from ready or will never be.

Good to see Kubica there trying to get aquanted with the team, smart.
Do you have any idea who 'the rest' are? Hartley missed out on the 2008 BF3 title through few minor mistakes. I think it was pretty much widely known he was quicker than JA.

As for Ricciardo I never rated him as highly as the others from the Carlin lineup of 2008. Speaking to a few people within Carlin they had similar thoughts.

Bianchi, not ready? He seems right quick and wasn't slow in Euro Series. And Ferrari, who know the full deal with exactly what they're working with seem to reckon his times look nice. They've already presented him with a contract. After all, even in experienced hands the F60 hasn't been the fastest car.

Marcus Ericson is quick too. Japanese F3 Champ, a brief, yet very successful BF3 cameo this summer. Not to be over looked. After all, Kenny Brack saw enough in him to become his manager.

As I alluded to the other main factor here is we don't know what the teams were testing. This is one of the rare times teams are allowed to test. I'd expect some possible 2010 ideas were tested. The ever present question of fuel loads remains too. The times are really only meaningful for the teams.

axle

I wonder if the KERS systems were ripped out for the test? It would have made for a more useful test for both Ferrari and McLaren, giving them useful information for next year, which the other teams have already. And it would mean that the Ferrari (and McLaren) would ahve been easier to drive for the new guys. The fact that there were no real off's etc for the Ferrari drivers would suggest such a thing.

Planet-F1 annoyed me earlier saying Nico Hulkenberg had proved to be mediocre...it was lunchtime on his first day!! Get a grip! He has a contract and no interest in showing off to get a drive. He still popped up to 2nd and match AndyS's time in the same car from the day before...so hardly disgraced himself.

I though AndyS was brilliant deserves serious consideration. Won a spec formula, and lapped well in the FW31.

Riccardo hasn't done much really for 2 days in the fastest car going atm, same for the guys in the Brawn/Mercs.

De Resta and Paffet are both showing well and although I don't know if either is WDC material I'd love them to both have a shot at a drive sooner rather than later.
- Axle

ESPImperium

I think that McLaren have ripped out the KERS system as they have been running 2010 fuel levels, so the space taken up by KERS will be occupied by a simylation fuel cell, that to my guess wont be too far off the full level of the 2010 cars, rumored to be arround 150kg for the more fuel efficent ones like renaults RS27 and Toyotas RVX-09 going on the 2009 engines.

Hopefully tomorrow we can see what Lucas di Grasi has to offer in a F1 car more, as to me Ho-Pin Tung showed little today, and Bernard Baggette showed little of the promice that he showed in WSBR last year. Altho, the R29 isnt the greatest of cars i must admit.

Callum

I don't recognise FI's front wheel covers in the pictures posted by zgred. I'm talking about the part point back towards the driver. Can anyone back me up on this?

Saribro

Callum wrote:I don't recognise FI's front wheel covers in the pictures posted by zgred. I'm talking about the part point back towards the driver. Can anyone back me up on this?
Those things look like tyre temp sensors like Renault have been seen running on occasion.

Callum

Saribro wrote:
Callum wrote:I don't recognise FI's front wheel covers in the pictures posted by zgred. I'm talking about the part point back towards the driver. Can anyone back me up on this?
Those things look like tyre temp sensors like Renault have been seen running on occasion.
Your right, they're on the rears too.

mx_tifoso

My flag...

---------------------------------------------------------
Day 2

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

gibells

I live 80km away from Jerez and it rained quite heavily here last night. Not sure how it is up there though. Todays pictures show it looking quite dry, but there's rain around.

Astro1

richard_leeds wrote:
Giblet wrote:Never seen this before. The Ferrari is excited.

Quite the antenna.

Its a furled umbrella, one can never be too careful in winter testing ;)
Yes, yes, I can see it here.