Jerez Test December 2009

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bidong
bidong

Re: Jerez Test December 2009

Astro1 wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:
Giblet wrote:Never seen this before. The Ferrari is excited.

Quite the antenna.

Its a furled umbrella, one can never be too careful in winter testing ;)
Yes, yes, I can see it here.

=D> we have a knee slapper! :lol: great great great

axle
axle

ESPImperium wrote:I recon that Sutil has got a final season to mature in F1, if he dosnt, he will be ditched in Force India for Di Resta, Liuzzi and Di Resta would be killer partnership as Tonio was vastly under-rated at Red Bull/STR in the 3 years he was there.

I think that if Sutil dosnt score at least 20-30 points at Force India this year hes gonna find himself looking at a lesser drive or a drive in another series for 2011.
Have to say this is a load of tosh. TL isn't as good as Sutil IMO. Yes he faired well in Monza but he wasn't as quick as AS for the rest of the season...he didn't look like he would threaten him.

As for 20-30points required. Where on earth have you pulled that from?! FI are happy to get 10points from a driver. They are still underfunded and under resourced compared to the competition, their car will still be a lower middle order runner...picking up scrap points.

Against AS is the number of accidents he's had, but quite a few were not his fault and when you are pushing hard in a car that's not as good as your peers then you can overstep the mark, but at least he's fighting.

To deserve to keep his drive he should simply bring it home infront of his team-mate more often than not and maximise the oppertunities presented. So far As has put himself in more good positions (particularly in bad weather) than his team-mates.

I would have like to see DeResta and Sutil together next year.
- Axle

scarbs
scarbs

French Tech journo Stephane Samson picked up this revised Renault diffuser

http://twitpic.com/rv9fq

Astro1
Astro1

That DDD, talk about surface area!

astracrazy
astracrazy

Looks like they are trying out the front wing they kept testing towards the end of the season but never used in a race?

that renault diffuser is the same as in Abu Dhabi, with the exception of the gurney flap width.

Giblet
Giblet

Yes, yes, I can see it here.

=D> =D> =D> :mrgreen:
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Motley
Motley

astracrazy wrote:Image

Looks like they are trying out the front wing they kept testing towards the end of the season but never used in a race?
That front wing's a piece of art...

Richard
Richard

richard_leeds wrote: Its a furled umbrella, one can never be too careful in winter testing ;)
gibells wrote:I live 80km away from Jerez and it rained quite heavily here last night. Not sure how it is up there though. Todays pictures show it looking quite dry, but there's rain around.
Which is why they needed that umbrella.

It's an innovation in response to this years race in Malaysia. Bernie lost squillions in advertising revenue because the race was stopped. This innovation allows them to keep going in all weather, and provides visible advertising above the wheel spray.

WhiteBlue

richard_leeds wrote:
richard_leeds wrote: Its a furled umbrella, one can never be too careful in winter testing ;)
gibells wrote:I live 80km away from Jerez and it rained quite heavily here last night. Not sure how it is up there though. Todays pictures show it looking quite dry, but there's rain around.
Which is why they needed that umbrella.

It's an innovation in response to this years race in Malaysia. Bernie lost squillions in advertising revenue because the race was stopped. This innovation allows them to keep going in all weather, and provides visible advertising above the wheel spray.
Ferrari radio 2010 in Malaysia:

"Felipe baby, you don't need the white visor. Push U for umbrella on your steering wheel."
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard
Richard

ESPImperium wrote:
Motley wrote:http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... catID=4406

McLaren seem to be running the Mp4-24 in its pre-German GP config with the cut-away floor and the old front wing...
That means they are running the MP4/24 like that to give Paffet a baseline before they put him out in the B spec car that finished the year. Get a feel for the improvements to Germany, then give him the car from then on to get a feel for the car, then run him in the car that finished the year.
I'm surprised they are using precious track time with the early season car. However, I guess they are checking how much of the later performance improvement was due to the circuits suiting the car, or Lewis getting over his early season grumps, or genuine improved car performance. Testing both configurations with the same driver will identify how much of the performance is due to the car.

Same for the front wing which was used in practice but never raced.

Consolidation of 2009 data seems to be the objective

Richard
Richard

WhiteBlue wrote:

"Felipe baby, you don't need the white visor. Push U for umbrella on your steering wheel."
Its also a safety device to improve downforce in the wet. Actually, if an umbrella has across section like a wing then it would reduce downforce?

astracrazy
astracrazy

Motley wrote:
astracrazy wrote:Image

That front wing's a piece of art...
One of the nicest of the year, shame they never used it...or did they? (apart from testing)

They must be going down that root in 2010 else why not use the one they finished with. Im looking forward to seeing all new and more.....beautiful yet technical front wings like this or like what BMW finished with. How they come up with ideas like put a gap here, connect this to this instead is beyond me. I spose its one of them things where somebody is laying in bed and comes up with ideas and can't wait to get to work in the morning to try it lol

astracrazy
astracrazy

richard_leeds wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:

Its also a safety device to improve downforce in the wet. Actually, if an umbrella has across section like a wing then it would reduce downforce?
I should think more drag than downforce, i don't know though. The umbrella would prob rip with the forces first.....unless we are changing it for a carbon fibre umbrella :?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Red Bull

McLaren out with the FlowVis (Aero) paint again:

Bob @ Renault again: