Berger to join Renault team in 2010

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Re: Berger to join Renault team in 2010

ISLAMATRON wrote:Berger >>>>> Flav
Oh I don't know really, Briatore managed Benetton/Renault to four WDC's with Schumacher and Alonso, didn't he?

As for Berger, his precise role with BMW-Williams was never really clear to anyone I think, while at Toro Rosso he
was part-owner and more than anything else Austrian, just like Marko and Mateschitz himself, no?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Berger >>>>> Flav
.....As for Berger, his precise role with BMW-Williams was never really clear to anyone I think, while at Toro Rosso he was part-owner and more than anything else Austrian, just like Marko and Mateschitz himself, no?
The Berger/Theissen role distribution was obvious. Berger was the experienced man for sporting and driver issues and Theissen was the F1 project manager with BMW corporate and engineering background. Initially they separated those jobs quite clearly but Theissen learned quickly about the sporting side. Three years later Berger must have felt that the job wasn't what it was in the beginning. He also had an urgent call to sort out the family business after his father died.

Berger at Toro Rosso was totally hands on. He went to all the winter tests, reshuffled the driver situation which had been screwed up by Marco (as usual), made the budget and engine decisions and did all the politicking with the FIA and the teams. Berger's vision for Toro Rosso was very different from what Toro Rosso was for Mateschitz. He wanted a top team and no junior team. This is why he eventually got more out of the 2008 Newey design than the much bigger RBR under Horner. This really was the giant killing story of 2008. To compare Berger with an idiot like Marko or a money man like Mateschitz is completely unrealistic. Sure, they are all Austrians and speak German. But that isn't a reason for throwing them all in one pot, unless you don't want to make the effort to understand these people.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

TauToadmiester

To continue the 'Burger did' scenario, he surely seemed to criticize the drivers when it was fairly obvious that the car had very many problems.

Sure a great driver can lift a POS car, see Alonso and Kimi this year (some think the Reno the worst car and F. maybe #2 o#3 worst car, especially after they quit dev.) but Burger does not seem to be the best Driver manager even though he should be as he is not an engineer or aero guy.

Look at all the crap driving he did at F., he even admitted crashing into Alesi on purpose (for the fun, he even laughed about it) because the F was a crap no chance car that year, so he does recognize a NON motivated driver when he sees it but still he knows a crap car when he sees as well and hears it from drivers, and the TR was a pretty crappy car until sorted out later.

I do not think Burger is the best addition, but who else is around? And god help us if Flav can somehow return!!!

Just my asspinion, nothing more!

xpensive

It's difficult to appreciate what Berger's "sporting and driver issues" were, when BMW was engine supplier to Williams?

To my mind, Berger could display a rather childish and immature approach at times, both on as well as off the track,
where deliberately running into Alesi was only one xample.

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:To my mind, Berger could display a rather childish and immature approach at times, both on as well as off the track....
Do I sense a certain level of double standards here? If Senna runs a prank it is great humor but if it is a driver who speaks German we all know that these guys do not have a sense of humor. So it can only be childish and immature. :lol: tell us another one.

Back on topic. I havn't found a single point that would show Berger as a bad manager. For the short time in STR he achieved a fantastic success by bringing in Vettel and without that action 2009 would have gone very different for RBR. His family business is also going very well and keeps him in bread when he is away from F1. I still think that he would be an exceptional catch for the Toleman/Benetton/Renault team but it looks like the story was premature.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive

When I was working for an Austrian-owned machinebuilding company in Pennsylvania, I saw this sign above the new computerized copy-machine. Who said Germanophones had no sense of humor? :lol:

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!

Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hands in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.