The race-fix case of Briatore and Symonds versus the FIA

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo

Re: The race-fix case of Briatore and Symonds versus the FIA

I think that it is in FIA's interest to deal with issues of racefix scandal calibre via proper civil court.
E.g. if the issue is as serious so as to cancel the license it goes to a proper court automatically.
Sure it is a can of worms, but the jurisdiction without proper means of doing it is worse IMO.

autogyro

IMO the courts in Singapore should have convicted Briatorre locked him up and thrown away the key.
Job done.
I doubt he will ever visit the place again.
I hope there will be sufficient effort to prevent him ever getting his hands on any commercial rights in F1. If he did it would destroy the sports credibility for ever.

timbo

autogyro wrote:If he did it would destroy the sports credibility for ever.
Don't worry, the sport is strong enough to survive the Nazi orgy, it'd cope with it.

autogyro

We are talking about a convicted criminal not someones legal private life.
There are many books on values, it would be useful for you to read some.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

The thing that annoys me the most about this is that they both got away with this. Mosley had the ideal opportunity to get rid of Briatore from F1 and still screwed up in his desperation to pursue his personnal vendetta and didn't follow the correct procedure.

WhiteBlue

Joe Saward brought up the issue of licenses for team directors and owners at todays press conference. Vijay Mallya, Peter Sauber, Colin Kolles, Aldo Costa were answering.
Friday press conference Euro GP 2010 wrote:Q. (Joe Saward – Grand Prix Special) Just to follow up on that, the FIA made a statement about licences for leading members of teams. How do you feel about being licensed to the FIA, and Vijay, how do you feel about licensing yourself?

VM: I was part of the discussion at the World Council on the whole issue of licensing. I think this has all come about arising out of some recent judgements whether the FIA has authority to impose penalties on people involved in Formula One. If they are licensed by the FIA, then the FIA has some jurisdictional control. We do nothing wrong, we come here to race, we race cleanly, we race according to the sporting regulations. I don't care if I have to be licensed, I'm quite happy to be licensed.

AC: I do not have a strong opinion on this.

CK: To be honest with you, if the FIA decides I have to be licensed I'm happy with that. I have no issue.

PS: Yeah, the same for me.
It looks like the teams will support the FiA on the license issue. This means that Briatore will have to pass a fit and proper person test if he changes his mind to come back.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

Joe Saward's blog wrote:The final note was the presence on the grid of Flavio Briatore. To allow that to happen means that the sport appears to the world to accept that what happened in Singapore in 2008 was OK and that the perpetrators can swan around like they used to. That sends out a terrible signal about the morality of the sport – if indeed one can use the two words in the same sentence. If those in F1 want to go on seeing Briatore that is fine. There are overpriced restaurants all over the world where they can do this, but to do it in front of the TV cameras simply make F1 look sleazy.
+1

IMO, Briatore is pampered by Bernie and FOTA for his marketing skill. He could be quite influential when the claims are staked for the 2013 concord agreement and the increase of team income from FOM revenues. I hope that can be avoided somehow. F1 would be doomed with that man being responsible for commercial decisions.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

autogyro

I think Bernie needs a minder.

WhiteBlue

FiA WMSC wrote:COMPETITOR’S STAFF” LICENCE

The World Motor Sport Council will submit a proposal to the General Assembly that a specific licence is created for a restricted list of members of staff of the competitors entered in the FIA World Championships. The aim is to introduce a system that ensures they are subject to the criteria set out in a new FIA Code of Good Standing. This would apply to a minimum of six people per competitor, including the Team Principal, Sporting Director, Team Manager, Technical Director and two race engineers (or equivalent).

A new mechanism will be introduced to control access to areas under the jurisdiction of the FIA and no pass of any kind will be issued to any person or body who is not in good standing for the purposes of the FIA International Sporting Code. Entrants will also become responsible for their staff, meaning any person connected directly or indirectly with the entrant in connection with their participation in an event.
Good move by the FiA. They announced this at the time when Briatore had his WMSC decision overturned on a technicality. According to the court the FiA had no jurisdiction over non licensees. So it could not tell its licensees not to employ Briatore or Symmonds. With this new legislation cheaters and criminals will be filtered out from responsible team positions. It should make it a bit harder to manipulate races without consequences. Race engineers involved in fixing races could loose their license which is a good move.

WhiteBlue

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 265296.stm
Nelson Piquet Jr and his father win Renault libel case

Former Renault driver Nelson Piquet Jr and his father, three-time champion Nelson Piquet, have won a libel case against Renault at the High Court.
Renault had accused the pair of "false allegations" and an "attempt to blackmail the team" surrounding events at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.
But Renault were later found guilty of fixing the race by asking Piquet to crash to help Fernando Alonso win.
Renault have apologised to the Piquets and paid them substantial damages.
Another solid indication that the FiA WMSC was right in finding the perpetrators guilty.

autogyro

We can only hope that the criminals concerned are kept as far away from F1 as possible and that more facts surface in support of the WMSC.

andrew

MrM is no longer pulling the puppet strings so I doubt Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dumber will surface again on MrT's watch.

autogyro

Well with Montezemolo nearly gone from Ferrari, things are looking up.

andrew

He's achieved his goals in F1. Looks like he is going into politics next. Hopefully he will be running the country one day and will give the Italians a credible government.

autogyro

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 13 Dec 2010, 01:05, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: No politics! Replies deleted